Scooter questions

HERKIMER417

Hi

My wife can walk short distances and only stand for a few minutes.   Rather then using the collapsible wheel chair (our own) for more then just embarking and disembarking.    We are looking to rent a scooter for the upcoming cruise. 

I'm looking at renting form Scootaround, and they have a good relationship with the cruise lines.   I'd read that the company will drop the scooter at out cabin for our convenience. 

But as this is our first cruise with a scooter we have some questions.   I have always found the folks on Cruise Critic to have the best answers.  So I'm hoping someone can help. 

1)  We have a larger " assistance room"  220 sq ft.  Is that enough room for the scooter or are we going to be tripping over it?

2)  I believe that I need to ask the room attendant for an extension cord - is that true?

3)   How long does it take to charge?

4)  How long does the charge last?   My wife is wondering if the scooter will need to take an afternoon nap when she does. 

5)  Does it have the power to get up the gangway?

6)   Are there any issues in the dining hall?

7)  is there any difference between the two companies?

8)  If we go up to the next size is it stronger?

9) Is there a difference between Scooteraround and any other?

9)  And, finally which is better the 3 wheel or the 4 wheel?

Sorry this is so long

Jack

Hi, 

My husband has used a scooter onboard for several years. We cruise primarily HAL and some Princess and we rent from Scootaround. We have a scooter at home but it's either the scooter or the luggage in the car! 

1 . The handicapped room has plenty of room and you shouldn't be tripping over it - especially if you have a balcony or larger. 

2. You can ask for an extension cord. The rep from Scootaround will leave the scooter plugged in and fully charged.

3. We hook the scooter up whenever we're in the room and have never had a problem. We've also been off-ship for hours and had plenty of power. 

4. We've gone several hours and still had lots of power left. 

5. IT has plenty of power to get up the gangway. The "helpers" at the gangway will send you on ahead with the cruise cards and they will ensure she gets up safely. They'll have her put the scooter on "turtle" or slow things down. The HAL helpers are excellent. 

6. In the dining room DH has driven it to the table and then the waiter and assistant will fight over who gets to  park it. They bring the keys back to us. When we are done they take the keys and deliver the scooter to us (sometimes taking a more scenic route which is totally fine). 

7. I've only used Scootaround so don't know about differences. 

8. We do the basic scooter. It fits in the luggage bay of the tour buses which is handy. Anything too big may not do that. 

9. Have your TA let the cruise company know you need assistance. My DH gets wheelchair assistance from the minute we exit the shuttle vehicle all the way through check-in, then he sits in a chair. Once it's time to board the ship's crew load him up in a wheelchair and head out with him. I keep a supply of $5.00 bills in my pocket for tips! 

Karen

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HERKIMER417 said:

Hi

My wife can walk short distances and only stand for a few minutes.   Rather then using the collapsible wheel chair (our own) for more then just embarking and disembarking.    We are looking to rent a scooter for the upcoming cruise. 

I'm looking at renting form Scootaround, and they have a good relationship with the cruise lines.   I'd read that the company will drop the scooter at out cabin for our convenience. 

But as this is our first cruise with a scooter we have some questions.   I have always found the folks on Cruise Critic to have the best answers.  So I'm hoping someone can help. 

1)  We have a larger " assistance room"  220 sq ft.  Is that enough room for the scooter or are we going to be tripping over it? If it's a fully accessible cabin, you shouldn't have any trouble with space.

2)  I believe that I need to ask the room attendant for an extension cord - is that true? I've only sailed on NCL jewel class ships, I've never needed an extension cord, but, yes, your steward should be able to provide you with an extension cord. Don't bring your own, it could land your luggage in the "naughty" room.

3)   How long does it take to charge? I'm a large person and get a bariatric scooter. It's fully charged when I pick it up and I charge it each time I go back to the cabin. I rarely let it go below 25% charge. At 25%, it has taken a few hours to fully charge.

4)  How long does the charge last?   My wife is wondering if the scooter will need to take an afternoon nap when she does. I've had mine go most of the day and evening with no issue. Things that factor in are how it's used (like going uphill eats the battery) and the weight of the user. When she goes to take a nap, let the scooter charge.

5)  Does it have the power to get up the gangway? Yes, I've gotten off the ship without issue. The crew has asked me to let them pilot it when the gangway is steeper than normal. They've often been nice about it. If it needs to be pushed manually, there is a way to put it in free wheel mode -- there are instructions in the seat pocket for operation of the scooter, it's good to peruse them.

6)   Are there any issues in the dining hall? In the MDR, I usually ask to park my scooter in a safe area. As I have always sailed on NCL, there is no assigned table, so they give me a table near the entry. If you are on a cruiseline with fixed dining, talk to the special needs and/or dining department to get an assignment close to the entry. On the NCL jewel ships, in the buffet, there are areas where you can park a scooter out of the way near the tables reserved for handicapped passengers.

7)  is there any difference between the two companies? I've rented from both, they were fine. They've alternated for me in regards to the best price. Customer service was reasonable for both Scootaround and Special Needs At Sea.

😎 If we go up to the next size is it stronger? The next size will have more juice. If the user is at the lower end of the weight range for the scooter, the batter will last longer.

9) Is there a difference between Scooteraround and any other?

9)  And, finally which is better the 3 wheel or the 4 wheel? I've only used three wheeled scooters.

Sorry this is so long

Jack

You need to contact the special needs department of the cruise line to notify them you are renting a scooter.

Edited by VirginiaIsForCruisers