Alaska, a couple more clothing questions

cruise kitty

Hi there,  getting ready for our first Alaska cruise!   Excited & starting to plan what to pack....  the cruise leaves May 21st out of Vancouver, BC (we'll arrive on the morning of the 16th for some precruise exploration)  it's a  Celebrity 8 nighter with technically 3 sea days (one is Glacier cruising day)

Our last cruise was Scotland, Iceland, & Ireland...  so I'm pretty good with what to wear during the day.

My concern is for the evenings...   I've read plenty of reviews saying that Alaskan cruises are the most casual of all in the evening.  We're in AQ so  each night is smart casual....  but last cruise we were in Luminae which is technically smart casual every evening, but I still dressed up just a bit on most nights...  honestly don't know if I want to do that this time.  

I'll take a longer silk skirt & dressy silky tanks for the 'chic' evenings....  they'll  be worn with my birks lol ;)

but on the other nights....

What did you wear at night in Alaska?

We probably did the same cruise as you last year with a large group and the MDR seemed a bit more casual (Celebrity) then other cruises but not by much. I did dress up as I would for any other cruise and felt very comfortable. 

I hope you have a wonderful time!

Donna

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

What did you wear at night in Alaska?

Pretty much the same as I wear in the evenings for Carib or Med cruises.  For me, that means dressy jeans or pants with a nice top....I'm partial to dressy halter tops but that's just my personal style.  I usually take a maxi dress or two as well, and tend to wear platform wedge sandals. 

• Like 1

thanks for the replies!

so it sounds like pretty much same as any other cruise...  I'll throw in a couple more linen tank tops to wear in the evenings & one more silky skirt :)   Maybe even a little jewelry.  

Edited by cruise kitty
  • Like 1

I've done 3 AK cruises (HAL, Princess, Seabourn) and didn't find them more casual for dinner than any other cruise locations (though to be fair I've only done the 1 seabourn so far....) I typically wear black trousers & top or dress with wrap or cardigan for dinner and that's what I've done in Alaska as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

I've done 3 AK cruises (HAL, Princess, Seabourn) and didn't find them more casual for dinner than any other cruise locations (though to be fair I've only done the 1 seabourn so far....) I typically wear black trousers & top or dress with wrap or cardigan for dinner and that's what I've done in Alaska as well. 

I don't think I asked you----how was your Caribbean cruise on Oceania?

21 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I don't think I asked you----how was your Caribbean cruise on Oceania?

We really enjoyed it!! Most of the time, the number of people wasn't a problem (I haven't been on a ship with that many people since 2008!) but it was BIG (up and down a LOT of stairs!) The food was probably the best we've had on a cruise. The caribbean -meh. If I never go on a Caribbean cruise again, I'm ok with that 🙂 But we'll definitely consider Oceania in the future (and likely only the larger O class ships - I refuse to pay that much money for the teeny R class bathrooms when I can get lovely seabourn for pretty much the same fare.)

21 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

We really enjoyed it!! Most of the time, the number of people wasn't a problem (I haven't been on a ship with that many people since 2008!) but it was BIG (up and down a LOT of stairs!) The food was probably the best we've had on a cruise. The caribbean -meh. If I never go on a Caribbean cruise again, I'm ok with that 🙂 But we'll definitely consider Oceania in the future (and likely only the larger O class ships - I refuse to pay that much money for the teeny R class bathrooms when I can get lovely seabourn for pretty much the same fare.)

Glad you had a good time and I get it (about the size of the ship, etc).  I just sailed last week...well, got back last week on  a ship that only holds 300:classic_biggrin:

Loved it. …..no lines, no waiting. Bartenders remember what you drink after

1 time:classic_smile:…...I have never sailed Oceania before. Maybe I will look at them too.

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack more ;-) My in-laws (Who we travelled with in December) have been on a few Oceania and loved the line and were pushing us - we ended up on Seabourn in Alaska last year because we were about to book Oceania and ended up finding Seabourn - slightly better itinerary and almost the same price, so....In-laws booked another couple Oceania cruises while we were onboard (norwegian fjords, Panama Canal) but they also both really got sick on the cruise and are thinking they might cancel. Who knows? They got us looking at that norwegian fjords trip - it's high on my husband's priority travel list...(not so much mine, but compromise keeps us both happy over time, so....)

6 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

Thanks,  the thing was last May on the Reflection cruise, it was definitely the most casual I've ever seen,  I mean evenings with many women wearing their hiking (like chunky goretex) shoes to dinner,  lots of tee shirts at night (printed ones, advertising bars, etc.)   I'm thinking because it was more nature focused rather that city focused  people just stayed in whatever they'd worn that day....  we also had long, long port days & overnights so.....

I don't wear dresses/skirts very often, so I wore black slacks or white pants...with a variety of tops in the dining room.  The MDR (and speciality restaurants) had an extremely WIDE RANGE of outfits.  You'll be fine!  I had different jewelry/scarves to mix things up, but honestly, I don't notice what other people wear and I have no problem wearing the same thing repeatedly.  But that's me.  🙂  Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by CutieKakes
  • Like 1