Oceania's Action Plan for Coronavirus

HokiePoq

Our friends sail this weekend and just received this notice.   I think it is a good response to this issue.  We were to be on this sailing but dropped it when O was forced to drop the Cuba itinerary.

OCI-LOGO-NVS.png

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION FOR GUESTS

TRAVELING WITH OCEANIA CRUISES

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

Due to the growing concern regarding coronavirus infections in China and in an abundance of caution, we will be implementing new policies designed to protect the health and safety of our guests and crew.

These new policies will apply to all guests on all sailings worldwide, effective immediately, for the next 30 days.

In addition to the already announced non-touch temperature screenings detailed below, we will be denying boarding to any guest who has visited mainland China in the last 30 days. These guests will receive a refund for their cruise.

This new policy is in addition to non-touch temperature screenings for all guests. Any guest who registers a body temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius or higher, will not be allowed to board. These guests will not receive a refund and will be advised to open a travel insurance claim with their insurance provider.

Please know that the safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew is our number one priority. We truly appreciate your understanding and thank you for your diligence and assistance in helping us ensure that all of our guests and crew remain in good health.

If you have traveled to mainland China in the past 30 days, please contact your travel advisor or Oceania Cruises directly so that we may begin the process of cancelling your pending voyage, collecting your travel information and start the refund process.

For guests travelling on our upcoming China sailings, we will be sharing further information in the coming few days.

Please Note: The mainland China travel restrictions do not include Hong Kong or Taiwan.

Should you have any questions regarding the coronavirus, please speak with your personal physician or visit the websites for the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at www.CDC.gov or the World Health Organization at www.WHO.int.

Sincerely,

Carlos Ortega

Vice President, Guest Services

Oceania Cruises

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HokiePoq said:
Our friends sail this weekend and just received this notice.   I think it is a good response to this issue.  We were to be on this sailing but dropped it when O was forced to drop the Cuba itinerary.

OCI-LOGO-NVS.png

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION FOR GUESTS

TRAVELING WITH OCEANIA CRUISES

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

Due to the growing concern regarding coronavirus infections in China and in an abundance of caution, we will be implementing new policies designed to protect the health and safety of our guests and crew.

These new policies will apply to all guests on all sailings worldwide, effective immediately, for the next 30 days.

In addition to the already announced non-touch temperature screenings detailed below, we will be denying boarding to any guest who has visited mainland China in the last 30 days. These guests will receive a refund for their cruise.

This new policy is in addition to non-touch temperature screenings for all guests. Any guest who registers a body temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius or higher, will not be allowed to board. These guests will not receive a refund and will be advised to open a travel insurance claim with their insurance provider.

Please know that the safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew is our number one priority. We truly appreciate your understanding and thank you for your diligence and assistance in helping us ensure that all of our guests and crew remain in good health.

If you have traveled to mainland China in the past 30 days, please contact your travel advisor or Oceania Cruises directly so that we may begin the process of cancelling your pending voyage, collecting your travel information and start the refund process.

For guests travelling on our upcoming China sailings, we will be sharing further information in the coming few days.

Please Note: The mainland China travel restrictions do not include Hong Kong or Taiwan.

Should you have any questions regarding the coronavirus, please speak with your personal physician or visit the websites for the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at www.CDC.gov or the World Health Organization at www.WHO.int.

Sincerely,

Carlos Ortega

Vice President, Guest Services

Oceania Cruises

Pretty much every Oceania Roll Call has seen this same note today (or yesterday). Hopefully, no one else will start yet another thread with this already "old news."

Cant we just scroll by it? Honestly, you are dealing with a public that requires a dedicated TV channel own the ship on "How to wash your hands" - and still, some will not wash! Tell them a thousand times, someone will still protest "Nobody told ME!"

• Like 5

Here’s a question: Will this make Oceania management, including senior staff aboard ships, become more aggressive in prosecution and enforcement of individual quarantine cases? Current actions in this area are lacking!

Not a lawyer, but does a cruise line have a legal obligation to enforce a quarantine on sick passengers? Should we be concerned if certain passengers feel inconvenienced by their quarantine?

26 minutes ago, clo said:

This is the same info as a previous post last night.

Which one? If you are referring to the one with the click bait subject line then I forgive the OP for starting a new post if they did not not read that one. I'm glad they started a thread with a reasonable and searchable title.

• Like 3

This policy is a good start and I am sure they will step up as new information and methods become available.

A significant problem it seems is that "Chinese scientists say people are infectious even before their symptoms appear."

So while the "if you have a fever we send you away" could catch the sick and showing symptoms pax it might not stop all infected. That said, as a bonus this taking temperatures at the terminal might weed out those carrying Noro onboard

Bottom line is there is a lot the scientists don't yet know. And they don't call me with updates so this is all I got other than adding my speculation to the discussion.

The emphasis below is mine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51048366

How easily does it spread between people?

etc

Chinese scientists say people are infectious even before their symptoms appear.

The time between infection and symptoms - known as the incubation period - lasts between one and 14 days.

Sars and Ebola are contagious only when symptoms appear. Such outbreaks are relatively easy to stop: identify and isolate people who are sick and monitor anyone they came into contact with.

Flu, however, is the most famous example of a virus that you spread before you even know you're ill.

Prof Wendy Barclay from the department of infectious disease at Imperial College London said it was common for lung infections to spread without symptoms.

The virus is "carried into the air during normal breathing and talking by the infected person," she explained.

"It would not be too surprising if the new coronavirus also does this."

We are not at the stage where people are saying this could be a global pandemic like swine flu.

But the problems of stopping such "symptomless spreaders" will make the job of the Chinese authorities much harder.

What is not known is how infectious people are during the incubation period.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Here’s a question: Will this make Oceania management, including senior staff aboard ships, become more aggressive in prosecution and enforcement of individual quarantine cases? Current actions in this area are lacking!

Not a lawyer, but does a cruise line have a legal obligation to enforce a quarantine on sick passengers? Should we be concerned if certain passengers feel inconvenienced by their quarantine?

I  think that according to maritime law  the captain of a ship is allowed to  set rules and administer them. as he sees fit

He is the judge  Jury and police chief   and chief justice .....and speaks directly with God.

The ancient term " Captains Mast"  was derived from the captains  court where he mettle out punishment, including death penalty's ,for infractions of both his and other law points.  I would think there is legal foundation for hundreds of years.      Heck, I suppose he could institute flogging for failing to follow sanitary rules      :   10 lashes for failing to wash hands,  20 lashes for touching food...  etc    Maybe even " keel hauling "in repeat offenders

• Haha 1

if you are asymptomatic  with Noro  you will not have a high temp ahead of time

You do not know you have Noro until it hits

I was fine until I was not

Just saying

But glad  some cruise lines are being proactive  for the current virus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

see  the GUEST TICKET CONTRACT

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/ticket-contract/

44 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Lyn;

My question wasn’t whether Oceania had rules in effect governing the issue. My question was “ would Oceania strictly enforce those rules “ and to what degree. We know Oceania hasn’t strictly enforced these rules in the past, similar to other rules and codes they don’t enforce.

It is not difficult to imagine uncontrollable violence and pandemonium breaking out aboard ship directed at quarantined passengers allowed ( or that chose) to wander the ship spreading a potentially deadly virus.

Edited by pinotlover

33 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Lyn;

My question wasn’t whether Oceania had rules in effect governing the issue. My question was “ would Oceania strictly enforce those rules “ and to what degree. We know Oceania hasn’t strictly enforced these rules in the past, similar to other rules and codes they don’t enforce.

It is not difficult to imagine uncontrollable violence and pandemonium breaking out aboard ship directed at quarantined passengers allowed ( or that chose) to wander the ship spreading a potentially deadly virus.

I seem to recall a couple of years ago during a Noro outbreak they quarantined people in their cabins & put red tape across the doors so they could tell if  they left their cabin  as well as taking their key cards away 

Suspect the same could be done in case of the current virus  or set up a quarantine area in the medical centre or brig  😉

Violating the dress code or drink policy is a totally different matter 😉

JMO

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

if you are asymptomatic  with Noro  you will not have a high temp ahead of time

You do not know you have Noro until it hits

I was fine until I was not

Just saying

But glad  some cruise lines are being proactive  for the current virus

Just checked and you can have and spread noro but be asymptomatic.

It is a mystery to me how anyone who has Noro would be able, or want to , leave the cabin.   I know from experience, even just getting from the bed to the bathroom is overwhelming.   However, I would certainly approve of red tape being applied to the door.

The medics phone the cabin a couple of times a day to ensure you are still safely in there.   J

9 minutes ago, Jay23 said:

It is a mystery to me how anyone who has Noro would be able, or want to , leave the cabin.   I know from experience, even just getting from the bed to the bathroom is overwhelming.   However, I would certainly approve of red tape being applied to the door.

The medics phone the cabin a couple of times a day to ensure you are still safely in there.   J

A staff member on Marina in December post-Noro said the worst offenders were male passengers.

• Like 1

Updated policy:

This new policy is in addition to non-touch temperature screenings for all guests. Any guest who registers a body temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or 38 degrees Celsius or higher, will not automatically be denied boarding yet may be subject to further screening by the ship’s and/or local medical professionals. If a guest is deemed to be medically at risk, they may be denied boarding. These guests will not receive a refund and will be advised to open a travel insurance claim with their insurance provider. 

I am a physician and would like to share a few pieces of information. In my opinion Oceania's response to this is completely unacceptable. We are booked on the March trip Singapore to Hong Kong. All travel to China is now at the highest threat level. Hong Kong is part of China geographically and the borders remain partially open. The people and health care workers in Hong Kong are struggling to. keep up with the current demand. I think it is irresponsible to go and Oceania basically has said that  we would lose our entire cruise and post cruise fare without even a consideration for credits for future cruises if we cancel. I can also tell you that the temperature screenings they are talking about are non specific and not sensitive. You can have a low grade fever due to many causes. If you screen positive they will not let you on the ship in Singapore and not refund your money and you are on your own (after a 24 hour flight for many) In addition, most of the contagious people with this virus are asymptomatic so the temperature screens are really a lot of show for very little efficacy. If you happen to get on the ship but develop a low grade fever or fever of any kind or illness of any type in Hong Kong they will not let you on the plane home and you are stuck trying to find health care in Hong Kong, a city so strapped that health care professionals are threatening to go on strike if they do not close the border. If you are able to get on the plane but are infected you then expose everyone on the plane and  in your community to the virus We have no idea what the long term sequela of this virus is, the impact on pregnant women etc. This is highly irresponsible of Oceania when every other travel related entity- airlines, tours, hotels etc. have liberalized cancellations policies. This would have been our 6th trip with Oceania but we will never book with them in the future if  this issue is not resolved. This is irresponsible to their passengers, their crew and the world community as a whole. I have emailed Oceania about my concerns as a health care professional without any response. 

• Like 7

The response has been variable. I have not seen a full review comparing cancellations vs liberalization of credits or refunds vs the Oceania hard core response of no refunds or credits no matter what. . I have actually asked a local newspaper to research this. It is an important topic as those cruise lines that understand their role as a member of the world community with respect for current concerns  need to be recognized. The problem here is that there seem to be a distinction made, at least by Oceania, between main land China and Hong Kong which is a bit of a distinction without a difference. While the intensity of infection in Hong Kong is currently less than the epicenter,  Hong Kong was a key source of SARS in the past and the borders have not been fully shut down between Hong Kong and the main land. With unknowns about how many asymptomatic people are contagious what will happen in Hong Kong is just starting to be recognized.