Oceania's Action Plan for Coronavirus

HokiePoq

Yes, that's our plan too - await further news, and sit like everyone awaiting whether things are getting worse or better.... no point in cancelling, if an offer comes from Oceania to cancel/change.

If things are bad and they still go out, we are comfortable with the sunk cost. It would cost a lot more in extra expenses to repatriate ourselves or spend 14-28 days away from home in various quarantines. I am actually a pretty optimistic person and have been downplaying this until it moved outside China in the last week... now, all bets are off, in all ways I think....

I don't know about anyone else, but we've lost enough this week in the market to pay for a couple of cruises. I'm sure some here have lost a lot more, because they probably have a lot more in the market.

Unfortunately no one is refunding this money. Unless it goes back up it becomes a real loss. 

Makes me wish we had gone to all cash a few years ago. I hope the bleeding on that stops soon. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 8:36 PM, Senior Citizen said:

So is your “cheap” business class fare non-refundable, non-changeable?  That’s what I booked SFO to SIN on Singapore Airlines.  I purchased the ticket through Chase and they basically said se la vie when I told them my dilemma.  DH’s ticket is using miles so we’re not worried about that one.  We bought my ticket on June 9, 2019 so even if they allowed us to use it one year from date of purchase, we’re still in a dilemma.

I have no idea if this might help but I just read this on Loyalty Lobby.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/02/19/singapore-airlines-silkair-trim-flight-schedules-through-may-31-2020/

Rosalyn

• Like 1

Thanks, Rosalyn.  Earlier this week I had seen that Singapore Airlines canceled a number of their flights.  However, they did not cancel the SFO flight we are on and I’m sure it is full now because they canceled the LAX flight for the same date.  Wish they would have kept the LAX flight and canceled ours so I could request a refund.  But, that’s not the case.

6 hours ago, ORV said:

I don't know about anyone else, but we've lost enough this week in the market to pay for a couple of cruises. I'm sure some here have lost a lot more, because they probably have a lot more in the market.

Unfortunately no one is refunding this money. Unless it goes back up it becomes a real loss. 

Makes me wish we had gone to all cash a few years ago. I hope the bleeding on that stops soon. 

In 2008 we "lost" 40% of the value of the IRA. But we didn't LOSE anything because we changed our standard of living - no travel whatsoever for 18 months, sold our motor home - didn't have to sell any investments and it came all the way back then some. If this is a sustained financial event we may cancel our Sept. cruise to save the money not to avoid getting sick.

12 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

I have no idea if this might help but I just read this on Loyalty Lobby.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/02/19/singapore-airlines-silkair-trim-flight-schedules-through-may-31-2020/

Rosalyn

Thanks for the link.  We are booked with Singapore Airlines SQ323 Amsterdam to Singapore on 20 May and SQ288 Singapore to Sydney on 23 May.  So far these flights are still okay.  Fingers crossed they remain so.  

Josie

To make sure people keep booking cruises, Windstar has announced this policy:

Windstar believes vacations enrich people’s lives. The new Travel Assurance Booking Policy is an extra effort to ensure travelers feel comfortable booking a well-deserved cruise vacation now without fearing loss should they need to cancel.

Windstar’s Travel Assurance Booking Policy automatically applies to new and existing cruises departing on or after June 1, 2020 through December 31, 2021.

Travelers who cancel a cruise booking up to 15 days prior to departure will receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit to be used on another Windstar departure within one year of the issue date of the credit. The offer is good for cruise fare only.

I know people are cancelling booked cruises now before final payment. My June 26 Baltic Marina cruise suddenly has a lot of openings when it was mostly sold out a few months ago.  Lots of people must have cancelled which hopefully means I will get upgraded. I just put a deposit on a Windstar Tahiti cruise for January 2021 and I am very happy with Windstar's new policy. Oceania should take a look at this

The temperature screening is a gigantic bit of theatrics! That's all. With an incubation period of at least 14 days and some experts have suggested possibly longer, and given that some infected individuals are asymptotic and pass along the virus to others (i.e., community spread), there is no way to keep this genie in the bottle! And especially impossible to do this on a cruise ship with everyone in such close quarters. And g*d-forbid this is a case aboard, then no ports will allow the ship to dock!  So here we go on an 18-day transatlantic crossing. It is scheduled to stop at multiple locations that already have coronavirus cases. This includes Brasil, and the Canary Islands. No specifics from O; only to say that they absolutely refuse to refund or to issue FCC. I'm over 65 and have compromised immune system so this might be my last cruise... on earth! For the entire time, we will be looking over our shoulder fearful that someone coughing or sneezing is a carrier and that we have caught it. Or on the port calls when we take the O land tours, fearful to mingle amongst all the other cruisers and locals. So tell me, how is that going to be enjoyable? It is not surprising that the cruise lines are prioritizing their profits over the health concerns of their customers since they operate with razor-thin margins. Fortunately, the airlines (at least United) which issued us a full refund when we cancelled our Polaris transatlantic flights and gave us a full credit for our flight to BA have a strong customer focus. So sad that I no longer have any faith, confidence or trust in O! Can't wait to see what lame position they adopt once WHO declares this thing a global pandemic. Only a matter of weeks as cases and deaths are escalating daily. Has anyone been successful in getting a refund or FCC from O? Looking for tactics and advise. 

20 minutes ago, Pedro22 said:

The temperature screening is a gigantic bit of theatrics! That's all. With an incubation period of at least 14 days and some experts have suggested possibly longer, and given that some infected individuals are asymptotic and pass along the virus to others (i.e., community spread), there is no way to keep this genie in the bottle! And especially impossible to do this on a cruise ship with everyone in such close quarters. And g*d-forbid this is a case aboard, then no ports will allow the ship to dock!  So here we go on an 18-day transatlantic crossing. It is scheduled to stop at multiple locations that already have coronavirus cases. This includes Brasil, and the Canary Islands. No specifics from O; only to say that they absolutely refuse to refund or to issue FCC. I'm over 65 and have compromised immune system so this might be my last cruise... on earth! For the entire time, we will be looking over our shoulder fearful that someone coughing or sneezing is a carrier and that we have caught it. Or on the port calls when we take the O land tours, fearful to mingle amongst all the other cruisers and locals. So tell me, how is that going to be enjoyable? It is not surprising that the cruise lines are prioritizing their profits over the health concerns of their customers since they operate with razor-thin margins. Fortunately, the airlines (at least United) which issued us a full refund when we cancelled our Polaris transatlantic flights and gave us a full credit for our flight to BA have a strong customer focus. So sad that I no longer have any faith, confidence or trust in O! Can't wait to see what lame position they adopt once WHO declares this thing a global pandemic. Only a matter of weeks as cases and deaths are escalating daily. Has anyone been successful in getting a refund or FCC from O? Looking for tactics and advise. 

it is a rough call as we feel the same way......but if you are hesitant why not just stay home......it's only money....or like you said maybe you're last cruise....either go to enjoy or don't go.....

7 minutes ago, Pedro22 said:

Hi Pedro,

I am truly saddened to read that you might miss your last time chance for a cruise. May I assume that you have done a few cruises before? Then, why don't you start to be thankful and happy for what you have had instead of lamenting over what might not happen? I don't know the exact itinerary of your Cross Atlantic Cruise and when it was scheduled to happen. But rest assured, you might be of bigger risk at home to catch the virus in the US than during your cross Atlantic trip. I am also not sure where exactly your cruise would have docked in the Canary Islands. We live in Tenerife and even though there are 6 cases (originating from the group around the Italian doctor) in 1 hotel under quarantine I can assure you that we live a very normal life on the island. We still have our Saturday Markets where we buy our products, we have our groups of friends meetings in Restaurants, we go hiking and enjoy our incredibly beautiful island, knowing that we belong to the privileged 8,5% of the world's population - so do you.

Yes, traveling has become increasingly challenging - staying at home and enjoy the beauty around you would be an option but being angry all day long about circumstances you cannot change nor influence is very toxic and certainly not favorable to your health conditions.

BTW: just to make you - hopefully - feel a bit better: yes, OC is offering full refund and FCC to the passengers of cruises they have cancelled. We were on Nautica's 26 day cruise from Hongkong to Yokohama and were incredibly looking forward to our first ever in life time in Japan (and we are not youngsters, either). We had to go through the pain of multiple schedule changes, while our flights to Hongkong on non-refundable business SWISS tickets went absolutely worthless when HKG was banned from boarding any cruise ship. SWISS was 100% unflexible and we lost the entire price for 2 PAX!

Sure thing that everybody who paid a lot of money for a cruise would like to see his investment give the expected profit (= a nice, safe cruise). Did all your investments in the stock exchange always turn out profitable. In full honesty: mine didn't and some losses were painful.

But we are still all on the sunny side of life. Imagine all the people working in the cruise and hospitality industry who desperately need their hard earned bucks to feed their families back home. Those are the ones with whom I really feel in these difficult days, I feel with all the medical staff in Asia who work under horrible circumstances with the ever present risk to get the virus with all its consequences.

So, please put things in a proper relation and wait and see - OC will act and cancel any cruise that they might deem necessary. They have to consider a lot of parameters and maximising their profits (as you assume) certainly is not their main focus - everybody in the travel industry has to survive - that is the real challenge!

I wish you good health and a peaceful attitude to deal with the uncomfortable situation as best as you can!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, manuwolf said:

I am truly saddened to read that you might miss your last time chance for a cruise.

I may be wrong but I suspect he was been ironic/morbid that this could be his last cruise if he catches the virus.... rather than this being his last planned cruise

2 hours ago, manuwolf said:

Hi Pedro,

I am truly saddened to read that you might miss your last time chance for a cruise. May I assume that you have done a few cruises before? Then, why don't you start to be thankful and happy for what you have had instead of lamenting over what might not happen? I don't know the exact itinerary of your Cross Atlantic Cruise and when it was scheduled to happen. But rest assured, you might be of bigger risk at home to catch the virus in the US than during your cross Atlantic trip. I am also not sure where exactly your cruise would have docked in the Canary Islands. We live in Tenerife and even though there are 6 cases (originating from the group around the Italian doctor) in 1 hotel under quarantine I can assure you that we live a very normal life on the island. We still have our Saturday Markets where we buy our products, we have our groups of friends meetings in Restaurants, we go hiking and enjoy our incredibly beautiful island, knowing that we belong to the privileged 8,5% of the world's population - so do you.

Yes, traveling has become increasingly challenging - staying at home and enjoy the beauty around you would be an option but being angry all day long about circumstances you cannot change nor influence is very toxic and certainly not favorable to your health conditions.

BTW: just to make you - hopefully - feel a bit better: yes, OC is offering full refund and FCC to the passengers of cruises they have cancelled. We were on Nautica's 26 day cruise from Hongkong to Yokohama and were incredibly looking forward to our first ever in life time in Japan (and we are not youngsters, either). We had to go through the pain of multiple schedule changes, while our flights to Hongkong on non-refundable business SWISS tickets went absolutely worthless when HKG was banned from boarding any cruise ship. SWISS was 100% unflexible and we lost the entire price for 2 PAX!

Sure thing that everybody who paid a lot of money for a cruise would like to see his investment give the expected profit (= a nice, safe cruise). Did all your investments in the stock exchange always turn out profitable. In full honesty: mine didn't and some losses were painful.

But we are still all on the sunny side of life. Imagine all the people working in the cruise and hospitality industry who desperately need their hard earned bucks to feed their families back home. Those are the ones with whom I really feel in these difficult days, I feel with all the medical staff in Asia who work under horrible circumstances with the ever present risk to get the virus with all its consequences.

So, please put things in a proper relation and wait and see - OC will act and cancel any cruise that they might deem necessary. They have to consider a lot of parameters and maximising their profits (as you assume) certainly is not their main focus - everybody in the travel industry has to survive - that is the real challenge!

I wish you good health and a peaceful attitude to deal with the uncomfortable situation as best as you can!

Thank you for the great perspective Manuwolf! You make some very good points.  (-: