Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Alphen

Costa Smeralda" currently in Civitivachia, with two suspected Corona virus infections on board!

Recommended Posts

"Costa Smeralda" is currently in Civitivachia, with two suspected Corona virus infections on board. Authorities are going on board to investigate, nobody is allowed off. 

 

Some more shouting headlines are already blowing things out of proportion, but fact remains, these are SUSPECTED infections at this moment.

 

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-coronavirus-fears-6000-trapped-21392528

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And you are shouting by your thread title as well...and another thread on the topic, with several already going...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

And you are shouting by your thread title as well...and another thread on the topic, with several already going...

You are correct, sorry about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prayers for all involved.  From what I understand, the Smeralda does 7 day Mediterranean cruises, with the same itinerary back-to-back-to-back.  There are 4 opportunities to embark/disembark during those 7 days (Savona, Marseille, Barcelona and Civitaveccia), so not all passengers arrive or depart from the same port.  I would imagine a great number of passengers were planning to disembark in Civitavecchia, as well as joining the cruise from there.  Praying that it’s not the virus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how they can tell the difference between Corona Virus, and ordinary Flu. I would think this would require some lab tests that would take time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

I wonder how they can tell the difference between Corona Virus, and ordinary Flu. I would think this would require some lab tests that would take time. 

 

Great question Tom, and the same one I'm curious about.  I was just reading an article where someone was quarantined because of a fever and thought to myself "how can they tell" that it's the Coronavirus based on that single sympton or are they just being extra cautious...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom -- you are right -- it is hard to tell the difference between -- especially since the symptoms are so much alike.

 

Lots of testing has to be done which takes time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tom O. said:

I wonder how they can tell the difference between Corona Virus, and ordinary Flu. I would think this would require some lab tests that would take time. 

 

3 hours ago, DivotMaker said:

 

Great question Tom, and the same one I'm curious about.  I was just reading an article where someone was quarantined because of a fever and thought to myself "how can they tell" that it's the Coronavirus based on that single sympton or are they just being extra cautious...

 

In the case of the Chinese couple on the Costa cruise, they are looking for an active infection. They would probably use a real-time reverse transcription PCR test (rRT-PCR), which is a molecular test that can provide results in 15-30 minutes. This is what they've used to test for the previous novel coronavirus infections in humans: MERS and SARS.

 

It's pretty fast. The suspected couple has already been cleared. If they were trying to find out if you had been infected in the past, they would use a different test.

 

The viruses that cause flu and the coronaviruses are in two different groups of viruses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

 

 

In the case of the Chinese couple on the Costa cruise, they are looking for an active infection. They would probably use a real-time reverse transcription PCR test (rRT-PCR), which is a molecular test that can provide results in 15-30 minutes. This is what they've used to test for the previous novel coronavirus infections in humans: MERS and SARS.

 

It's pretty fast. The suspected couple has already been cleared. If they were trying to find out if you had been infected in the past, they would use a different test.

 

The viruses that cause flu and the coronaviruses are in two different groups of viruses.

 

Thank you cruisemom42, I find this very interesting and truly appreciate the detailed explanation  Super helpful. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...