Are you afraid of the coronavirus in your next cruise?

librarygal

1 hour ago, David_Dian said:

If you're really worried I'd just cancel it if you can. For me its just another vacation, I can always go another time. I'm not going to take any risks of being quarantined on some ship for days or weeks, no matter how small. We have a med cruise in august so are watching the situation. 

My cruise leaves Feb29 from Sydney. I’m worried of course, it’s just natural. But would of lost everything if I canceled and I wasn’t that nervous. I just hope I don’t get stuck down under for an extended time. I have 2 booked for 2021 and of course will be watching. If it gets worse or turns into pandemic, I will cancel.

Edited by Christine13020
Add

7 minutes ago, Christine13020 said:

My cruise leaves Feb29 from Sydney. I’m worried of course, it’s just natural. But would of lost everything if I canceled and I wasn’t that nervous. I just hope I don’t get stuck down under for an extended time. I have 2 booked for 2021 and of course will be watching. If it gets worse or turns into pandemic, I will cancel.

I just got yet another long note from Royal Caribbean today (must be 5th or 6th on subject) about all the new restrictions. I am happy that they are doing this and hope it works but I am on plane now and so many are coughing! I never used to notice but now am totally paranoid. Washed hands every chance I got.

I completely agree with everything  Know the Score wrote. I could not have said it any better. I also agree with David_Dian. We started looking at it this way. Its just another vacation we can go another time. The chances are so slim of being trapped in your room for a few days up up to 2 weeks. But??

We did considered how many false alarms could occur. It takes just one person- crew or passenger until they know more about this virus-and they could mandate everyone to their room.  Thats not a vacation we want to explore.

• Like 1

I will add we lost money. We lost 50%. We learned a lesson buy cancel for any reason insurance after this from here on out. We looked at this way. My sanity of being in a room 24 to 48 hours or longer with a screaming toddler- yikes at that point who cares about the money. We cruise at least 2 times a year and have for 15 years we have never cancelled

• Like 1

I am definitely  cancelling plans for cruising in 2020 and possibly 2021.  The Corona virus is spreading like wildfire worldwide.  I do not want to play Russian roulette with my life.  Just my luck I would be one who gets infected with the virus.  I do not want to die from contracting the virus on a cruise.  There is more to life than taking a cruise, especially now.
There are other types of travel I can take posing less risk.

Edited by Justalone

I just got am Email from RC telling me that I have a final payment due now and I should go ahead and pay it NOW to avoid cancelation. My final payment is due March 7. I am aware of when my payment is due Thank you!

Are they afraid I will cancel before that final due date and want me to lock in my  investment on a cruise I may not join?

Edited by JMorris271
spelling

9 hours ago, freetalkfreelaugh said:

I am leaving from Ft Lauderdale this Friday to the Caribbean and am getting more scared every day. I realize that the islands are safe right now but it takes just 1 person to cause an epidemic! I am loading up on hand sanitizers

We just got back from a Caribbean cruise Saturday never washed my hands so much in my almost 70 cruise. 

• Like 1

so we’re two older adults that are scheduled to leave in a couple of weeks for an 11 day Panama Canal cruise. Stops in various ports, which none of those ports so far, have any known outbreaks of this virus. However, my concern, as with many others, is where everyone is traveling from and if they could have been exposed or be a symptomatic. We did take the ships insurance which includes cancel for any reason up to sail date. We’re so undecided. Just wondering what other opinions might be?!! My Physician said, in his opinion, he would not take the risk.

2 hours ago, shiny1 said:

so we’re two older adults that are scheduled to leave in a couple of weeks for an 11 day Panama Canal cruise. Stops in various ports, which none of those ports so far, have any known outbreaks of this virus. However, my concern, as with many others, is where everyone is traveling from and if they could have been exposed or be a symptomatic. We did take the ships insurance which includes cancel for any reason up to sail date. We’re so undecided. Just wondering what other opinions might be?!! My Physician said, in his opinion, he would not take the risk.

For most people this would be a very difficult decision.  The two sentences I've highlighted red above would make it a very easy decision for me, but others may take a different view.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, shiny1 said:

Regardless of any outbreaks at port destinations, how confident can you be that just ONE passenger will not walk onto your ship with COVID-19?

Remember that the virus has an incubation period of up to 14 days and there will be no fever or visible symptoms at the outset.

All it takes is for that single person to walk on your ship with you and then a few days later start with real symptoms, report to the medical centre and then get confirmed with the virus.  At that point you have the risk that your cruise becomes a Diamond Princess prison nightmare.

If you are prepared to risk that and are sure you would manage being locked in your cabin for 2 weeks and if you are ok about the possibility that you might miss one or more ports on your itinerary and if you are in good enough health that you're not worried about catching the virus yourself,  then go for it and enjoy the holiday.

You mentioned you were older and for those of us who are, we really shouldn't be listening to advice on this board. Ask your own doctor for advice. I am pretty sure I would get an all clear as I am very healthy with good stats and immunity (former school teacher.) My dh probably would get a thumbs down because of Copd. I am content to stay home for a while.

We are booked on the Sky Princess in a November and are still looking forward to the cruise.  However (at 66) with both of us on maintenance meds, we will bring about 30-days of excess pills to avoid that particular stress in case of an unexpected delay.

• Like 4

We are booked for an Alaska cruise in May. I am not overly concerned and still plan to travel. I would feel differently if I was: a) pregnant, elderly, or immuno-compromised, b) traveling with young children, or c) traveling to a region that is being impacted by the spread of the virus or where the CDC has alerted us to avoid travel. These factors would increase the risk involved.

As others have said, I am personally more concerned about being quarantined and the disruption that would pose to my life. But weighing the risk for traveling to non-impacted areas, it is not enough for me to change major plans or center my life around it -- at least not currently. We will follow the news for any increasing risk factors and practice good hygiene.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, shiny1 said:

Now reading the MSC cruise ship may not be allowed to dock in Cozumel!?

Every place it seems,  is becoming very cautious about allowing cruise ships to dock. 

It was given permission to dock. However, wind and fog conditions prevented it from docking tonight.

https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/english/msc-meraviglia-cruise-ship-dock-cozumel-mexico-despite-coronavirus-fears

On 2/24/2020 at 10:08 PM, Christine13020 said:

I just got yet another long note from Royal Caribbean today (must be 5th or 6th on subject) about all the new restrictions. I am happy that they are doing this and hope it works but I am on plane now and so many are coughing! I never used to notice but now am totally paranoid. Washed hands every chance I got.

so how’s it going? Any more news from Royal Caribbean?

MSC ship has docked in Cozumel but cannot disembark until passengers and crew are all tested and cleared for Corona virus! My thought is how long will that take with 6,000 people to test!!  Due back in Miami on Sunday. How will that play out?

• Like 1

With predicted 2% (?) death rate from Corona virus, I am scared of taking a cruise at this time.  The Corona virus has spread like wildfire world wide.    It was reported today, of a person in Davis, California, just north of  California confirmed infected with Corona virus, and is in serious condition who had no known connection or contact from anyone infected with the Corona virus.
So, no, I will wait until there is a vaccine.   Maybe 24 months from now?

Good luck and safe travels for those who are elderly and/or immune compromised,  choosing to cruise now, and before a vaccine is developed.

Edited by Justalone