Are you afraid of the coronavirus in your next cruise?

librarygal

33 minutes ago, Justalone said:

The Corona virus has spread like wildfire world wide.

Really? I guess I missed that. In addition, people need to realize that there may never be a vaccine. HIV? Viruses (and bacteria) mutate.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Justalone said:

With predicted 2% (?) death rate from Corona virus, I am scared of taking a cruise at this time.  The Corona virus has spread like wildfire world wide.    It was reported today, of a person in Davis, California, just north of  California confirmed infected with Corona virus, and is in serious condition who had no known connection or contact from anyone infected with the Corona virus.
So, no, I will wait until there is a vaccine.   Maybe 24 months from now?

Good luck and safe travels for those who are elderly and/or immune compromised,  choosing to cruise now, and before a vaccine is developed.

Each person needs to make the decision they are most comfortable for their situation.  If I were elderly and/or immune compromised I likely would take different precautions than someone mid 40's and relatively healthy.

A few things to keep in mind though:

• even if there is a vaccine, how effective will it be?  I get a flu virus each year and it is known to not be very effective, sometimes at best minimizing symptoms.
  • this virus that has "spread like wildfire world wide" has less than 100K confirmed cases world wide, and we have a world population of over 7 Billion.  Even if you only take China's population of 1 Billion, that's only 0.01% infected.
  • what does the predicted 2% death rate mean? 2% of the world's population, 2% of the people who contract the illness, or 2% of confirmed cases (there could be more unconfirmed, which I realize skews the second bullet point)?
  • what is making you concerned about this virus compared to other illnesses which can also affect the immune compromised?

None of us need to cruise (although it does feel like it some days 😉 ), but I hope we each apply critical thought to our individual circumstance and aren't making rash decisions out of fear.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Each person needs to make the decision they are most comfortable for their situation.  If I were elderly and/or immune compromised I likely would take different precautions than someone mid 40's and relatively healthy.

A few things to keep in mind though:

• even if there is a vaccine, how effective will it be?  I get a flu virus each year and it is known to not be very effective, sometimes at best minimizing symptoms.
  • this virus that has "spread like wildfire world wide" has less than 100K confirmed cases world wide, and we have a world population of over 7 Billion.  Even if you only take China's population of 1 Billion, that's only 0.01% infected.
  • what does the predicted 2% death rate mean? 2% of the world's population, 2% of the people who contract the illness, or 2% of confirmed cases (there could be more unconfirmed, which I realize skews the second bullet point)?
  • what is making you concerned about this virus compared to other illnesses which can also affect the immune compromised?

None of us need to cruise (although it does feel like it some days 😉 ), but I hope we each apply critical thought to our individual circumstance and aren't making rash decisions out of fear.

Maybe one of the concerns (and it is for me) that this is on top of the existing illnesses you refer to, such as seasonal flu. And some health services, such as Britain's NHS, run down in recent years by spending cuts, can barely cope as it is with emergency admissions.  I doubt there's that much slack elsewhere either in terms of extra ventilators, ICU beds, staff etc..

And maybe another is the risk of an outbreak on a cruise ship leading to 14 days quarantine, as things stand now. And the sort of treatment that might be required for a large number of people on a cruise ship just isn't available.

3 hours ago, clo said:

Really? I guess I missed that. In addition, people need to realize that there may never be a vaccine. HIV? Viruses (and bacteria) mutate.

I missed it too. When did that happen? The day it spread like wildfire.

Y'all might find this COVID-19 "dashboard" useful?

In map form, it shows which countries have infection

-to what extent (the bigger the blob..) and other facts and figures...

It's quite a graphic!

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?fbclid=IwAR0He6UYpywlPXkVq9764Ewx5vWyu1bFkFoluooUQAXfMYspF3-oMKSEjuM#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

• Like 1

As someone who has caught various colds or flu over the years at times from people on cruises who choose to go to communal areas even though they are quite sick...I am hoping this will stop people doing that on cruises. This includes going on ship excursions.

Maybe something positive out of this?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, niddwalker2 said:

We are booked to sail on Celebrity Constellation from VENICE on 20July.  In view of the coronavirus problems in Northern Italy does any one know when the cruise company will think of cancelling or changing the cruise.

Impossible to say in such a fluid situation because Celebrity will be as much in the dark as we are.  By then it could well be right across Europe, and if it is, what's the point of cancelling or changing the cruise?

I doubt they'll make a decision until much, much nearer the time.

The big news at the moment is Norwegian Cruise Line just announced that it is changing and modifying it cancellation policy in the wake of corona virus fears. I can’t figure out how to post a link but go to cruiseindustrynews.com and the article is easy to find. I suspect Carnival will follow suit. 

The US and Italy both had their first cases of corona Virus on January 31, 2020.  Today the US only has 62 cases, all of which are in quarantine and Italy has 650 cases.  It seems stopping flights from affected countries along with airport health screening has worked, at least for now.  The cruise lines are blocking crew and passengers from affected countries and are also doing health screening prior to boarding.   What I am more concerned about is Mexico and South America.  I think that the most likely way Coronavirus could become an epidemic in the US is through our unsecured Southern Border via one or more illegal immigrant(s) infected with the virus.  Yesterday Mexico reported their first 2 cases and Brazil has 1 case.  Unfortunately I don't have faith that Mexico's government nor that of any South American country is prepared to stop this virus from becoming an epidemic.   I hope they prove me wrong.

• Like 2

My husband and I love to cruise. Normally, we do two or three trips a year. Unfortunately, I have asthma and we booked just an ocean view on our May 2nd Trans-Atlantic. We were planning on spending two nights in Amsterdam, then on to Krakow, Poland for three nights and finally, on to Berlin for another three nights. Our ship leaves from Miami and we fly home from Berlin. 

We booked almost two years ago and had to pay in full on January 3rd. It was expensive. We do have just "regular" trip cancellation insurance.....we have cruised for twenty years and have never had to cancel. I never knew there was cancel for any reason insurance. Although, because it's an epidemic, I don't know if even with the "better" insurance- we would get a refund.  I called and we will lose our money....IF the ship goes, then we lose. 

I was talking to a friend who likes to cruise and we believe that the virus is probably IN the ventilation system on the Princess ship. 

It seems like more ports are turning away ships and I don't know IF we could get home if we were to get sick for any reason.  To me, we are going to take a loss.....it's not worth it! 

Everyone has to make a decision....to go OR not......for us, we are taking a loss (and boy, my husband is not happy and I loved the ports and was excited) At this point, to me, my health and life are not worth taking a chance that everyone on the ship and at the hotels, will be healthy......

Sad situation......and I am very, very disappointed!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuiteTraveler said:

The US and Italy both had their first cases of corona Virus on January 31, 2020.  Today the US only has 62 cases, all of which are in quarantine and Italy has 650 cases.  It seems stopping flights from affected countries along with airport health screening has worked, at least for now.  The cruise lines are blocking crew and passengers from affected countries and are also doing health screening prior to boarding.   What I am more concerned about is Mexico and South America.  I think that the most likely way Coronavirus could become an epidemic in the US is through our unsecured Southern Border via one or more illegal immigrant(s) infected with the virus.  Yesterday Mexico reported their first 2 cases and Brazil has 1 case.  Unfortunately I don't have faith that Mexico's government nor that of any South American country is prepared to stop this virus from becoming an epidemic.   I hope they prove me wrong.

I said a while back that one of the things this will reveal is the relative competence of the various governments around the world.  Every country will get infected people, but the difference between 60 cases and no deaths and 650 cases with 21 deaths (Italy), or 388 cases with 34 (if you believe the Iranian government) or 210 (if you believe the BBC) deaths is not by chance. 

In the long run I think parts of the middle East and Africa will end up being hardest hit, along with China.

7 hours ago, Pandora said:

It seems like more ports are turning away ships and I don't know IF we could get home if we were to get sick for any reason.  To me, we are going to take a loss.....it's not worth it! 

Everyone has to make a decision....to go OR not......for us, we are taking a loss (and boy, my husband is not happy and I loved the ports and was excited) At this point, to me, my health and life are not worth taking a chance that everyone on the ship and at the hotels, will be healthy......

@Pandora

If you are looking at losing all, then there is no reason to cancel ahead of time. Check with RCI if there is a prorated refund after final payment. If not, just hang tight and see what happens between now and then. For one thing, you are quite likely IMO to get a very attractive upsell (paid upgrade) message from RC, if having a balcony would make any difference for you. We just got one on our March 21 sailing -- inside to balcony for $1300 (total, two people) FOR 28 DAYS!

If you used a travel agent, be proactive and make sure you would like to know of upsell offers.

Another thing that could happen is that RCI cancels the cruise and refunds all moneys. Much easier to take advantage of that if you have not cancelled yourself!

• Like 2

My aunt was going on Bahamas cruise for her anniversary this april. Unfortunately her husband was against going on a cruise and they are thinking of canceling it. They asked me about my opinion, I told them that it should be alright. The reason to it, simply, there wont be that many people to contact with. The crew members only and some “crazy” passengers 

In 2019 around 600,000 humans died from complications related to the common flu. This was an average year.

Many millions more suffered and survived.

The news people didn't give it much attention.

Last year, over 15 million people booked cruises during the flu season.

In 2019 around 200,000 humans died from complications related to Norovirus. This was an average year.

Several million more suffered and survived.

The news people gave plenty coverage to the 1% of those cases that happened on cruise ships, but generally ignored the other 99% that happened on land.

Last year over 30 million people booked cruises despite the very obvious Norovirus risks.

In 2019, in America alone, over 500 people were killed by riding lawn mowers. This was an average year.

Tens of thousands more were injured, but survived.

The news people gave them no attention at all.

There does not seem to be any downturn in the number of riding lawnmowers being sold in America.

In 2020 - so far - over 80,000 (and counting) humans have contracted the new Corona Virus.

So far - nearly 3,000 (and counting) have died; almost all over age 60; almost all in China; almost all NOT on a cruise ship.

As for the news people - "If it bleeds, it leads".

Now suddenly we have a mass hysteria brewing about catching Corona Virus on a cruise ship.

Are there any identifiable logical thought patterns that support this sort of thinking?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Donald said:

Now suddenly we have a mass hysteria brewing about catching Corona Virus on a cruise ship.

Are there any identifiable logical thought patterns that support this sort of thinking?

Perhaps you would be best advised to address this question to the Japanese authorities who quarantined the Diamond Princess passengers for 14 days, now widely thought to have led to additional infections onboard, or the many Asian countries that refused Westerdam the right to dock and disembark passengers or the several Caribbean islands that have refused ships due to having either passengers or crew with coronavirus-like symptoms.

I'm not hysterical about catching coronavirus, but neither do I fancy being on a cruise to nowhere or being stuck somewhere in a quarantine situation....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Donald said:

In 2019 around 600,000 humans died from complications related to the common flu. This was an average year.

Many millions more suffered and survived.

The news people didn't give it much attention.

Last year, over 15 million people booked cruises during the flu season.

In 2019 around 200,000 humans died from complications related to Norovirus. This was an average year.

Several million more suffered and survived.

The news people gave plenty coverage to the 1% of those cases that happened on cruise ships, but generally ignored the other 99% that happened on land.

Last year over 30 million people booked cruises despite the very obvious Norovirus risks.

In 2019, in America alone, over 500 people were killed by riding lawn mowers. This was an average year.

Tens of thousands more were injured, but survived.

The news people gave them no attention at all.

There does not seem to be any downturn in the number of riding lawnmowers being sold in America.

In 2020 - so far - over 80,000 (and counting) humans have contracted the new Corona Virus.

So far - nearly 3,000 (and counting) have died; almost all over age 60; almost all in China; almost all NOT on a cruise ship.

As for the news people - "If it bleeds, it leads".

I don't want to get sick and be miserable,  period. How many people died from xxx is irrelevant as far as I am concern.

On 2/28/2020 at 1:29 AM, David_Dian said:

so how’s it going? Any more news from Royal Caribbean?

Now on cruise from Sydney to New Zealand. Lots of virus headlines in Australia made me nervous but all is fine on ship. Seems to be business as usual, didn’t notice any special health screenings. It’s not cold and flu season down here yet so I’m wondering if Australia will get more cases as they get more into their fall/winter. The tourist industry here is really hurting between fires and now this virus. Tour operators repeatedly asked us to spread word that Australia is safe and open for business. Areas affected by burn are already growing back  and they haven’t been hit hard by the virus.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2020 at 5:59 PM, Pandora said:

My husband and I love to cruise. Normally, we do two or three trips a year. Unfortunately, I have asthma and we booked just an ocean view on our May 2nd Trans-Atlantic. We were planning on spending two nights in Amsterdam, then on to Krakow, Poland for three nights and finally, on to Berlin for another three nights. Our ship leaves from Miami and we fly home from Berlin. 

We booked almost two years ago and had to pay in full on January 3rd. It was expensive. We do have just "regular" trip cancellation insurance.....we have cruised for twenty years and have never had to cancel. I never knew there was cancel for any reason insurance. Although, because it's an epidemic, I don't know if even with the "better" insurance- we would get a refund.  I called and we will lose our money....IF the ship goes, then we lose. 

I was talking to a friend who likes to cruise and we believe that the virus is probably IN the ventilation system on the Princess ship. 

Sad situation......and I am very, very disappointed!

To Pandora we cancelled as well, we lost money as well. My husband was not happy about it at all. It was my parents possibly last cruise and a wonderful price and ports. I saved and worked weekends for our trip. I understand your frustration. I kept dwelling on it for a week. I'm now over it. Learned to always buy cancel for any reason insurance. We cruise 2 times a year and always purchase trip insurance- did not cover us obviosly for this reason

We had feelings similiar to you. We did not want to pay all that money to be healthy or nonhealthy and possibly be stuck in our cabin. Our situation is unique we have a 2.5 yr old. My family all joked he would have to be medicated to stay in a cabin- we had a minisuite but still. A very high energy toddler who would not understand- hey they are testing someone we cannot leave our room. We did lose 50 % but who wants to risk what is suppose to be fun/relaxing to stay in your room. I realize the possibility is very low. This is the first time I ever remember them making healthy folks go to the cabin. We were not even as concerned about the coronavirus itself. My parents were in an inside cabin - they cancelled as well- despite me encouraging them to go. My parents said - never been to jail or solitary confinement but not risking being sent to my room for a day or two. 

I don't regret my decision now- I look at my child and just say no way.

• Like 1