Are you afraid of the coronavirus in your next cruise?

librarygal

20 hours ago, Donald said:

In 2019 around 600,000 humans died from complications related to the common flu. This was an average year.

Many millions more suffered and survived.

The news people didn't give it much attention.

Last year, over 15 million people booked cruises during the flu season.

In 2019 around 200,000 humans died from complications related to Norovirus. This was an average year.

Several million more suffered and survived.

The news people gave plenty coverage to the 1% of those cases that happened on cruise ships, but generally ignored the other 99% that happened on land.

Last year over 30 million people booked cruises despite the very obvious Norovirus risks.

In 2019, in America alone, over 500 people were killed by riding lawn mowers. This was an average year.

Tens of thousands more were injured, but survived.

The news people gave them no attention at all.

There does not seem to be any downturn in the number of riding lawnmowers being sold in America.

In 2020 - so far - over 80,000 (and counting) humans have contracted the new Corona Virus.

So far - nearly 3,000 (and counting) have died; almost all over age 60; almost all in China; almost all NOT on a cruise ship.

As for the news people - "If it bleeds, it leads".

Now suddenly we have a mass hysteria brewing about catching Corona Virus on a cruise ship.

Are there any identifiable logical thought patterns that support this sort of thinking?

I think you are trying to apply logic to a mass society that constantly rejects logical thinking.  

Hank

• Like 2

Hello All, me and my family of 5 booked the cruise with Royal Caribbean on 02nd May for the mediterranean route which plans to stop for 4 ports in Rome, Naples, Sicily and last port is Venice.

We are so worry the coronavirus breakout situation in Italy, we have paid in full for all 3 cabin rooms.

Have been queried them regarding any update but no information updated, we are unsure to go ahead or cancel. 

If we cancel now we will be only received 50% back. In case the cruise cancel we will receive full refund. Anyone booked this cruise Rhapsody of The Sea like us please give me advise? Thank you 🙏.

we are planning a trip to the caribbean. we will fly or take a ferry between the islands we  visit. 

to us, getting to the ports and seeing the islands is more important than cruise ship ammenities.

to each, their own!

9 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Can you imagine the panic if every day the media reported on the number and distribution of new flu cases, alone with a daily death toll?

What has long amazed me is that more than half of Americans do not get annual flu shots.  And we assume that many of those same folks are now living in fear of COVID-19 which, at least for now, is statistically a much lower risk.  Of course this could all change in the next few weeks.  But what will not change is that more then 20,000 Americans will die from complications of the flu.  

Hank

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pum said:

Hello All, me and my family of 5 booked the cruise with Royal Caribbean on 02nd May for the mediterranean route which plans to stop for 4 ports in Rome, Naples, Sicily and last port is Venice.

We are so worry the coronavirus breakout situation in Italy, we have paid in full for all 3 cabin rooms.

Have been queried them regarding any update but no information updated, we are unsure to go ahead or cancel. 

If we cancel now we will be only received 50% back. In case the cruise cancel we will receive full refund. Anyone booked this cruise Rhapsody of The Sea like us please give me advise? Thank you 🙏.

Hello Pum, welcome to Cruise Critic! 

I'm not on the Rhapsody with you (although I have sailed on her and found her very nice!) -- but even someone who is, cannot make the choice for you. 

It's kind of a Gambler's choice: 50% (cancel in the 50% window), VS. 0% (but go on cruise, possibly to different ports) OR 100% (wait out the cruiseline and they finally cancel). There is another 0% and that is waiting past the 50% window, then not going even though Royal Caribbean does sail some itinerary with the Rhapsody OTS.

The aspects of (1) getting the disease VS (2) being quarantined or 'isolated' VS (3) sailing but having ports shut your ship out, i.e. having a 'cruise to nowhere' as it is called. 

Just rambling, hoping to help you organize your thoughts to make YOUR OWN decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pum said:

Hi Pum, welcome to Cruise Critic.

We are in the same situation, but on the Allure, with 3 Italy ports.  We have 10 other family members booked on the cruise.

Royal Caribbean wouldn't "move" our bookings to new bookings or cancel without penalties. 

We were also informed that it will be most likely that our itinerary will change.

The rest of our family decided to cancel and take the penalties.

With airfares and hotels already booked...we decided to keep our bookings.

Yes, they informed us the same thing...if Royal cancels the cruise, we will get full refunds.

It's a gamble.  We are hoping things will turn for the best...staying positive.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

It's kind of a Gambler's choice: 50% (cancel in the 50% window), VS. 0% (but go on cruise, possibly to different ports) OR 100% (wait out the cruiseline and they finally cancel). There is another 0% and that is waiting past the 50% window, then not going even though Royal Caribbean does sail some itinerary with the Rhapsody OTS.

The aspects of (1) getting the disease VS (2) being quarantined or 'isolated' VS (3) sailing but having ports shut your ship out, i.e. having a 'cruise to nowhere' as it is called. 

Just rambling, hoping to help you organize your thoughts to make YOUR OWN decision.

Trust me ALL of the cruise lines are behind closed doors this weekend debating and planning out the next steps for Europe/Med cruises with the new elevated threat. No cruise line wants a repeat of what happened with the Diamond Princess. (Which in my opinion Princess did the absolute best they could with what was being told to them and what they were allowed to do by the Japanese government and authorities and have continued to handle this very well) But with that being said they cruise lines will do everything in their power to not have this happen ever again. For those sailing in the next 90 days you almost need to be a bit of a gambler and to gamble that the cruise lines will come through with refunding 100% and giving you additional credit future cruise credit or taking a total revised itinerary/redeployment of ships and also giving future cruise credit. Those that jumped the gun and canceled Spring Japan cruises prior to allowing the cruise lines to work through this lost out. I personally am not a gambler but in this case no doubt I would gamble that the cruise lines are going to be canceling and redeploying these ships and those that are holding out and wait for the cruise line's decision will be financially ahead. The cruise lines know they have to take care of passengers and not be greedy to insure the future of cruising as we know it. 

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 6:22 PM, sfaaa said:

I don't want to get sick and be miserable,  period. How many people died from xxx is irrelevant as far as I am concern.

Based on this statement, do you not cruise at all or take reasonable precautions (like hand washing)? I agree from your perspective that mortality rates would be irrelevant, but what about sick & miserable from xxx vs. corona?  Is there any difference? (Curious, not meant as snarky)

On 2/29/2020 at 8:40 PM, Christine13020 said:

Now on cruise from Sydney to New Zealand. Lots of virus headlines in Australia made me nervous but all is fine on ship. Seems to be business as usual, didn’t notice any special health screenings. It’s not cold and flu season down here yet so I’m wondering if Australia will get more cases as they get more into their fall/winter. The tourist industry here is really hurting between fires and now this virus. Tour operators repeatedly asked us to spread word that Australia is safe and open for business. Areas affected by burn are already growing back  and they haven’t been hit hard by the virus.

Thank you for bringing some good news 🙂 

• Like 1

A week ago I knew that once it got into Europe (at Italy)

it would go from there!!

The latest graphic on that Johns Hopkins website

shows Western Europe (and the Middle East) is now looking Lotsa Red Blotches!

Even though China is still a far bigger area, it's not a  pretty picture.

COVID-19-Eurasia.JPG

For those who may not yet have discovered this info resource

here is the Johns Hopkins CSSE    COVID-19 dashboard

with all the stats, infection, deaths and recovered.

45,600+ Recovered!! Excellent news!

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?fbclid=IwAR0He6UYpywlPXkVq9764Ewx5vWyu1bFkFoluooUQAXfMYspF3-oMKSEjuM#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

For me, all the discussion about whether it is or isn’t any worse than catching flu is irrelevant. 

Nor is it about whether it’s a pandemic, or where the hotspots are, nor whether some

countries are better at containment than others etc. 

Nor is it about whether I’m more likely to catch the virus on a cruise than at work or out shopping or whatever. 

My concern is that someone on the ship will become diagnosed with Coronavirus during our trip and we will get quarantined in our cabins along with the entire ship for several weeks. When people get flu or norovirus or whatever else it is on board ship they don’t quarantine the entire ship for weeks in their cabins. 

That’s what is worrying me and why I might not pay the remaining balance at the end of the month and just lose our deposit.

What would be useful would be to hear of other cruises where someone has displayed symptoms while on board and the cruise line/authorities have taken a different approach. 

Edited by claudiniusmaximus
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, claudiniusmaximus said:

For me, all the discussion about whether it is or isn’t any worse than catching flu is irrelevant. 

Nor is it about whether it’s a pandemic, or where the hotspots are, nor whether some

countries are better at containment than others etc. 

Nor is it about whether I’m more likely to catch the virus on a cruise than at work or out shopping or whatever. 

My concern is that someone on the ship will become diagnosed with Coronavirus during our trip and we will get quarantined in our cabins along with the entire ship for several weeks. When people get flu or norovirus or whatever else it is on board ship they don’t quarantine the entire ship for weeks in their cabins. 

That’s what is worrying me and why I might not pay the remaining balance at the end of the month and just lose our deposit.

What would be useful would be to hear of other cruises where someone has displayed symptoms while on board and the cruise line/authorities have taken a different approach. 

I thought I read somewhere that the Diamond Princess had them quarantined on ship because that is what the Japanese officials ordered. We all saw how that went, so hopefully, God forbid this happens again, they will handle the quarantine differently. 

• Like 1

Hopefully, Lazybeachbum. It does seem to have been the worse thing to do. 

But they’ve quarantined everyone in that hotel in Tenerife last week. Whether they have the virus or not they are quarantined for two weeks within the hotel and then only allowed to leave if they test negative at the end of that two weeks. 

I do wish a quarantine protocol for people on holiday whether in a hotel or cruise ship would be decided upon and formally announced so at least people can make an informed decision about whether to travel. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lazybeachbum79 said:

I thought I read somewhere that the Diamond Princess had them quarantined on ship because that is what the Japanese officials ordered. We all saw how that went, so hopefully, God forbid this happens again, they will handle the quarantine differently. 

We can but hope lbb but in truth wouldn't you want some kind of assurance from your cruise line in writing before you cruise that explains what procedures they would implement if there were a case of COVID19 on-board?   I certainly would.

6 hours ago, claudiniusmaximus said:

I share exactly this concern Claudinius and is the prime reason I am not taking my planned cruise this month despite it having been fully paid up.  I emailed my cruise line for assurances and only got stock responses.  Until they clearly declare in writing how they would deal with any COVID19 case on-board I can't see that I can make any kind of informed decision and so accordingly I simply elect not to cruise until such time as they get a plan and solution together which satisfies passenger's concerns.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

We can but hope lbb but in truth wouldn't you want some kind of assurance from your cruise line in writing before you cruise that explains what procedures they would implement if there were a case of COVID19 on-board?   I certainly would.

5 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

Until they clearly declare in writing how they would deal with any COVID19 case on-board I can't see that I can make any kind of informed decision and so accordingly I simply elect not to cruise until such time as they get a plan and solution together which satisfies passenger's concerns.

Why do you possibly think they could give you assurance in writing that all will be hunky dory ? And if they did, what would it be worth . I respect those who believe the current situation is too uncertain to cruise . Fine . To insist on assurances at this point is delusional .

• Like 3

Those who are insisting on "assurances" from the cruise line must think they live in a perfect world.  There can be no assurance other then "an assurance that there can be no assurance!"  What would one expect a cruise line to say.  Every circumstance is potentially different and the cruise line might ultimately have little say in the matter.  Consider that once the Diamond Princess entered Japanese waters they were subject to the decisions and control of Japan.  And having docked they were completely under the control of the Japanese health officials.  It was the same on the Westerdam when they had to scramble to even find a port and then were under control of Cambodia.

If one is unable or unwilling to live with the current level of uncertainty then they should certainly cancel any kind of travel and "go to ground" at their own home.  There is another related issue that is generally not spoken.  This may be a new normal.  It is not so much that a new virus is that unusual, but the world's reaction to each new virus seems to be more and more severe.  Life always involves levels of risk and each person will ultimately have to look inside themselves and decide their own level of risk tolerance.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good heavens. 

I hardly ever use these forums any more because all too often keyboard warriors seem poised to leap on and attack people wanting information or offering a

perspective. 

Seems like this one has fallen prey to it as well. 

I’m outta here. 

Edited by claudiniusmaximus

2 hours ago, richstowe said:

Why do you possibly think they could give you assurance in writing that all will be hunky dory ? And if they did, what would it be worth . I respect those who believe the current situation is too uncertain to cruise . Fine . To insist on assurances at this point is delusional .

No-one mentioned needing assurances about all being hunky dory.

I simply stated that the cruise lines need to make it completely clear to passengers how they would deal with any confirmed cases of COVID-19.  Passengers need to know if a Diamond Princess scenario is possible or whether the cruise line has now agreed an alternative protocol.   The longer they dither and refuse to tell passengers how they will deal with cases, the more cancellations they will get imho.  They are already losing $millions so it's in their interest to be clear with passengers imho.

44 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

No-one mentioned needing assurances about all being hunky dory.

I simply stated that the cruise lines need to make it completely clear to passengers how they would deal with any confirmed cases of COVID-19.  Passengers need to know if a Diamond Princess scenario is possible or whether the cruise line has now agreed an alternative protocol.   The longer they dither and refuse to tell passengers how they will deal with cases, the more cancellations they will get imho.  They are already losing $millions so it's in their interest to be clear with passengers imho.

I think the point is that the cruise lines can't give assurances because the cruise line may not be the ones in charge if passengers or crew are diagnosed with the virus. For example, if a ship returns to its U.S. home port with sick passengers/crew onboard, it may be up to the CDC as to how/when/if passengers disembark.

Now, it would be great if the CDC and its foreign government counterparts would state how they will handle ships docking with sick people, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.  

• Like 2