Are you afraid of the coronavirus in your next cruise?

librarygal

4 hours ago, K32682 said:

Three ships affected.  Hundreds of cruise ships still plying their trade around the world. I hope certain posters keep up the hysteria and convince everyone to CANCEL ALL CRUISES!!! regardless where in the world they are going.  If they do then those of us who are more level-headed and less easily frightened can enjoy fewer bothersome crowds and lower prices.  

Good luck with that one then.  You may be misinterpreting the reasons for cancellations though.

Not so much ‘frightened’ as you put it.  More a question of a level-headed (another term you use) approach to managing the risk of cruises not being able to visit the ports planned and proving to be rather a waste of time and money?

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Good luck with that one then.  You may be misinterpreting the reasons for cancellations though.

Not so much ‘frightened’ as you put it.  More a question of a level-headed (another term you use) approach to managing the risk of cruises not being able to visit the ports planned and proving to be rather a waste of time and money?

It's a feeble excuse. There's always a risk of a port cancelling due to weather or other conditions. How many non-Asian ports have cancelled so far?  A handful perhaps of the thousands of locations around the world that continue to welcome cruise ships.   "Sure, I'm going to pay 50 per cent of the cruise costs not to go because I might miss a port?" Unlikely.  

I saw the same sort of moronic behavior in Toronto during the SARS outbreak when people stopped going to Chinese restaurants.  

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Yep this completely.

Certain posters appear to be doing their level best to play down the whole Coronavirus situation.  Astute people will read between the lines and realise why imho.

The dilemma facing all cruisers at this time is how badly any given cruise will be affected by the new medical protocols that have been implemented as a result of Coronavirus which result in ships being refused entry or refused permissions to disembark purely if any passengers or crew display ordinary cold/flu symptoms.   My personal experience is that every cruise I have been on sees people have such cold/flu symptoms.  Thus I would expect most cruises to be impacted and many ports having to be missed.   It's therefore a rather practical decision to be made which is whether or not it is worth shelling out £000s to be on a cruise that may well see you miss quite a number of ports and even if it is still worth the money, is that compromised cruise experience also worth the small risk that Coronavirus might appear on the ship and see everyone quarantined in their cabins for 2 weeks?

Easy decision for me personally.  Absolutely not going to cruise in the current environment and will cancel the cruises I have booked, inc one I have already paid for.    Everyone else has to make their own personal decision.

1 minute ago, K32682 said:

It's a feeble excuse. There's always a risk of a port cancelling due to weather or other conditions. How many non-Asian ports have cancelled so far?  A handful perhaps of the thousands of locations around the world that continue to welcome cruise ships.   "Sure, I'm going to pay 50 per cent of the cruise costs not to go because I might miss a port?" Unlikely.  

I saw the same sort of moronic behavior in Toronto during the SARS outbreak when people stopped going to Chinese restaurants.  

You can make your decisions, based on your interpretation of the facts and your interpretation of the likely outcome.  Others are free to make theirs.

Rather pointless having a go at people when nobody, including you, can do any more than guess.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, K32682 said:

It's a feeble excuse. There's always a risk of a port cancelling due to weather or other conditions.

That is a very feeble comparison at the current time when ports across the globe are implementing new protocols to deal with Coronavirus

9 minutes ago, K32682 said:

How many non-Asian ports have cancelled so far?  A handful perhaps of the thousands of locations around the world that continue to welcome cruise ships. 

There are likely quite a lot in truth.  However off the top of my head I can only cite the following at short notice:

Japanese ports

Philipines
St Lucia, Caribbean
Dominica, Caribbean
Civitavecchia, Italy

Gibraltar has implemented new protocols and will refuse disembarkation permissions to any ship with a passenger showing signs of cold/flu

You'd be supremely naïve to think that most other ports won't do the same thing.   For example if Civitavecchia (the port for Rome) is denying ships then why on earth wouldn't all the other Italian ports?  Livorno (for Florence), Naples (for Pompeii & Sorrento), Venice etc etc etc

And if Italy is doing this then why wouldn't Spain do exactly the same?

I'm afraid the situation will only get worse as the number of Coronavirus cases increase worldwide.

• Like 1

In response to the OP's original question, we just returned from a cruise out of Singapore.  If the current news had been out say a month earlier we probably would have cancelled.  Three months earlier and we would have cancelled for sure.   

38 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You can make your decisions, based on your interpretation of the facts and your interpretation of the likely outcome.  Others are free to make theirs.

Rather pointless having a go at people when nobody, including you, can do any more than guess.

If people are afraid they might get the virus they should stay at home but they shouldn't hide behind the excuse of we might not get to see a port when thousand of ports around the world are still accepting cruise ships and it is entirely possible this whole thing will be over in a couple of months. 

I am admittedly arguing against my own interest.  The more the hysterics run around saying the sky is falling the less expensive and more spacious my cruises will be later this year. 

• Like 1

I don't agree that people are being hysterical.  Containment should be taken seriously.  The flu pandemic that happened early in the 20th century infected over 25% of the world's population and killed about 30 million people.  Even 1% of that would be a horrible result.  

I hope everyone stays healthy.      

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, K32682 said:

If people are afraid they might get the virus they should stay at home but they shouldn't hide behind the excuse of we might not get to see a port when thousand of ports around the world are still accepting cruise ships and it is entirely possible this whole thing will be over in a couple of months. 

I am admittedly arguing against my own interest.  The more the hysterics run around saying the sky is falling the less expensive and more spacious my cruises will be later this year. 

I do not think people are hiding behind an excuse - they are simply pointing out that - in addition to the risk of infection - there is risk of itineraries being disrupted.   Both risks are fairly minor in the large part of the world not yet impacted — but the fact that there is much uncertainty as to the:  communicability of the disease , the death rate for those infected but the disease,  and — perhaps most significant - the peripheral risk of putting up with reactions exhibited by passengers and cruise lines alike makes putting money down now for future cruises somewhat problematic.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I do not think people are hiding behind an excuse - they are simply pointing out that - in addition to the risk of infection - there is risk of itineraries being disrupted.   Both risks are fairly minor in the large part of the world not yet impacted

I agree at this point outside of Asia the risk of infection is minor.  But the risk of itineraries being disrupted is high world wide,  This week it has occurred in both the med and NYC, along with multiple ships in Asia.  I don’t book caribbean cruises during hurricane season because I don’t want to deal with that stress on vacation.  Right now all cruises have too high of a risk of being stressful rather than relaxing.   

If the ill passenger disembarked on turn around day, then there would only be the crew left on board, so some would be infected... How are they coping with the quarantine?

It must be terrible to have to stay in their tiny cabins- and how many are allowed out to run the ship? Who's in the engine room, on the bridge, catering, bringing the room service meals? 

Won't the ship have to sail again to make more fresh water and release dirty water? Will there be enough officers to do this?

I feel so sorry for the crew.

• Like 1

I have yet not taken a cruise but was going to book one to Europe for 2020.  This Corona virus has me thinking not to cruise.  And if spreads to Europe.

Besides, I have read many threads on Cruise Critic about cruise passengers with poor hygiene habits.  Like passengers not washing their hands after using the restroom, not sanitizing hands before going through the buffet line, eating with their hands whilst going through the buffet line, and coughing without properly covering up, like coughing into their hands instead of arm.  
So, do you/ would you report passengers persistent coughs to ship personnel?  Like cougher sitting next or behind you in the theater, elevator, and other public areas. 
So what well seasoned cruisers do about fellow passengers poor hygiene offenders?   Do you call out the offender,  or would you report them to ships personnel?  And I don’t want to cruise if it’s a “petrie dish for contracting virus”.... something many cruisers get sick with  “cruise crud/cruise cough”?

FWIW, I am mildly OCD (I carry Purell hand sanitizer, and Clorox wipes with me at all times) about germs

Thank you and any helpful suggestions for me.

There was a story on coronavirus preparations that indicated that the US government is converting military bases near major international airports into quarantine camps as part of preparations for the coronavirus (which, of course, is already here.)   A few weeks ago that would be tinfoil-hat territory but now it just seems... sensible.    One that I know of is being set up near Newark Liberty International Airport (Joint Base McGuire-Dix.)   Now without going into politics, the current US administration is not overly fond of international travel and under pressure from what will likely be a growing number of cases you can imagine that international travel will become difficult.   

This needs to be factored into any decisions, as well.  

18 minutes ago, Justalone said:

I have yet not taken a cruise but was going to book one to Europe for 2020.  This Corona virus has me thinking not to cruise.  And if spreads to Europe.

Besides, I have read many threads on Cruise Critic about cruise passengers with poor hygiene habits.  Like passengers not washing their hands after using the restroom, not sanitizing hands before going through the buffet line, eating with their hands whilst going through the buffet line, and coughing without properly covering up, like coughing into their hands instead of arm.  
So, do you/ would you report passengers persistent coughs to ship personnel?  Like cougher sitting next or behind you in the theater, elevator, and other public areas. 
So what well seasoned cruisers do about fellow passengers poor hygiene offenders?   Do you call out the offender,  or would you report them to ships personnel?  And I don’t want to cruise if it’s a “petrie dish for contracting virus”.... something many cruisers get sick with  “cruise crud/cruise cough”?

FWIW, I am mildly OCD (I carry Purell hand sanitizer, and Clorox wipes with me at all times) about germs

If you have no experience with cruising, and don’t know the ins and outs of deposits, insurance, cancellations, etc, you might want to gather all the information you can on 2 or 3 different options and wait a few weeks to see how this plays out before booking. Search for a good travel agent.

You read a lot of things on cruise critic you have to take with a grain of salt. After all, how many people who witness good hygiene do you think come here to tell about it? Yes there are those who are less than considerate of others, but if you follow the practices you outlined you will be as safe as any other public place. If you witness someone doing something unsanitary in the buffet line, quietly alert the servers to replace the items. No need to make a scene. Remember most coughers are not contagious. There are many other reasons to cough including medication reactions, dry air. 

Have a fun cruise whenever you decide to go.

1 hour ago, Justalone said:

Some people have poor hygiene habits and those people are everywhere.  They go shopping, to the post office, the bank, and every other public place.  This isn't just an issue on cruise ships.  The best way to protect yourself is to distance yourself from someone who is coughing or sneezing and to wash your hands.  

All it takes is for one person to not wash their hands in a public restroom and the exit door handle is not clean. Same with utensils at the buffet or a shopping cart.  I wash my hands with soap and water before eating.  I wash my hands after handling utensils at buffets.  I have been on a lot of cruises and have never gotten sick.  It's up to each of us to protect our own health, regardless of how sanitary or unsanitary another person is.

Whenever I fly, I make sure I don't sick next to people who are coughing in that waiting area.  If someones starts to cough, I move to another seat.  I've done that several times. If I was sitting in a theater next to a sick person, I would move. The only place I can't do that is seated on a plane. Since I almost always travel with someone, at least that reduces the odds.  I also travel with sanitizer. I'm not afraid to touch surfaces, but I make sure to wash my hands before eating.

Edited by TNcruising02

1 hour ago, Justalone said:

If you only use Clorox wipes and are considering cruising on a ship with a self-serve buffet, you're hardly OCD. 

For wipes, you need something with Benzalkonium chloride, which is effective against many viruses. 

As for ship "buffets," one of the criteria that has us sailing only on Oceania is its Terrace Café where, though "cafeteria style," you are not allowed to touch the food. It is served by galley staff.

BTW: even these practices are not OCD. Rather, they are "good common sense."

3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

The only place I can't do that is seated on a plane. Since I almost always travel with someone, at least that reduces the odds.

What do you mean by traveling with someone reduces your odds? Are you using your travel partner as a human shield against disease😆?

• Like 1

Those cruisers who are not frightened and whose concerns are strictly about missed ports should wait particularly if their itinerary is more than a couple of months from now and not visiting Asia.  Cancelling now may incur a high penalty but if you wait and many ports begin to refuse cruise ships the lines may be more accomodating regarding refunds and penalties would be reduced or waived.  

6 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

What do you mean by traveling with someone reduces your odds? Are you using your travel partner as a human shield against disease😆?

Haha!  Hey, I'm 5'2" and he's 6'3", so I will use whatever means necessary.🤣

I try to get seats where it's just two of them instead of three.  When we have to sit next to a stranger, at least I know two out of the three of us aren't sick.  I usually am stuck in the middle seat though.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, K32682 said:

Those cruisers who are not frightened and whose concerns are strictly about missed ports should wait particularly if their itinerary is more than a couple of months from now and not visiting Asia.  Cancelling now may incur a high penalty but if you wait and many ports begin to refuse cruise ships the lines may be more accomodating regarding refunds and penalties would be reduced or waived.  

Cant see it TBH.   Most ports are only going to refuse entry to ships at the point the ship declares that they have passengers on-board with undiagnosed cold/flu symptoms.    They don't need to carte blanche refuse entry to all ships unless they are anything to do with China and related countries imo.    Cruise lines are not going to want to lose money, so they will imo just keep taking the ticket prices and act like everything is normal albeit with mandated passenger screening at embarkation.  They're not going to make a song and dance about the itinerary likely being compromised and when it is compromised they ain't gonna pay anyone any compensation.

A poster on another forum has just mentioned that his sister is currently on the Cunard - QM2 and has been in touch.  She says that they have now been told they are definitely not stopping off in Hong Kong because of the Coronavirus plus another two ports of call have been cancelled, one is Singapore.  She says they haven’t had any issues with this latest virus or any quarantine so far.  

His sister then sent another update to say that the rest of their stops on their itinerary have been cancelled - the ship is heading straight for Australia now.

I can't confirm either way, just reporting what a poster on another forum is saying.

This is exactly the kind of itinerary disruption I am personally afraid of and why I am taking the decision not to cruise at this difficult time and wait to see how everything deveops throughout the year.

Edited by KnowTheScore
  • Like 1