PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

The State Department has issued a warning to all Americans, and not just people that are sick, to avoid getting on cruise ships due to coronavirus risk. What will you do?  Are you going to cruise or cancel? This is horrible.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

The State Department has issued a warning to all Americans, and not just people that are sick, to avoid getting on cruise ships due to coronavirus risk. What will you do?  Are you going to cruise or cancel? This is horrible.

Booked on the Grand Princess in 4 weeks. If she sails, we will be on her!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

What I do agree with is every person has to make their own choice based on what they feel their health can handle.I would not, cannot chance it with my health issues!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

What I do agree with is every person has to make their own choice based on what they feel their health can handle.

This exactly but they’re worried about the spread of the virus. I really want to book a Princess cruise and unfortunately I’m afraid I might be one that can’t handle it.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It’s amazing how many people have blinders on. 

Not sure what you mean by this, could you please be more clear?  The way this disease is spreading, I would not be surprised if no pleasure cruises are sailing in four weeks.  Do you think that is unreasonable?

Edited by stoneharborlady

On 3/7/2020 at 2:36 PM, leck57 said:

The virus is, in most cases, arriving and spreading in countries via people getting of planes, not cruise ships. Why aren't people making the same comments in relation to the airline industry? 

They have.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2020 at 5:41 PM, neverbeenhere said:

For the believers of the great cruise ship in the sky, why do you worry at all? 

We have numerous cruises booked this year and won’t cancel any of them. Hoping to get a few fare reductions. 

Good for you.  👍

Enjoy your cruises. 🙂

1 hour ago, Justalone said:

Good for you!  🙂

Highly unlikely you will get infected with Covid-19 if you are healthy and not 60+, do not have underlying heath issues like HBP, diabetes, heart, kidney, lung disease, and/or have a compromised immune system.  (See CDC website for details).  And recommendations from Dr. Fauci.

Enjoy your cruise.  And for others who decide to “just do it.”  👍👍👏👏

I’m not sure where you got your information from but this is not correct. You can get infected with covid-19 no matter who you are. You can be healthy and under the age of 60 and still be infected with the virus. The virus is much more dangerous if you are over the age of 60 and have underlying health issues.

Stay well.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I’m not sure where you got your information from but this is not correct. You can get infected with covid-19 no matter who you are. You can be healthy and under the age of 60 and still be infected with the virus. The virus is much more dangerous if you are over the age of 60 and have underlying health issues.

Stay well.

Yes, of course everyone young and old are at risk for being infected with Covid -19.  But for those  above 60,    with underlying health issues like HBP, diabetes, heart, lung, and liver disease,  compromised immune system are at greater risk of getting sick, and dying.   The underlying health issues, and compromised immune system also applies to everyone , young and old.
For me, cruising is non-essential travel.  I can wait until a vaccine is developed,tested, and available to the public.  Some say between 12-24 months from now.
I can wait to take a cruise vacation.  Cruise is just not that important to me.  I will take other kinds of vacations like road trips, and glamping where I will not be placed in a crowded contact situation with strangers, as on cruise ships.

Wishing safe travels to all who decide to “go for it” now.  Their choice.  Their decision. 

Edited by Justalone
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, Justalone said:

Yes, of course everyone young and old are at risk for being infected with Covid -19.  But for those  above 60,    with underlying health issues like HBP, diabetes, heart, lung, and liver disease,  compromised immune system are at greater risk of getting sick, and dying.   The underlying health issues, and compromised immune system also applies to everyone , young and old.
For me, cruising is non-essential travel.  I can wait until a vaccine is developed,tested, and available to the public.  Some say between 12-24 from now.
I can wait to take a cruise vacation.  Cruise is just not that important to me.  I will take other kinds of vacations like road trips, and glamping where I will not be placed in a crowded contact situation with strangers, as on cruise ships.

Wishing safe travels to all who decide to “go for it” now.  Their choice.  Their decision. 

Just to be clear those over 60 and with pre-existing conditions are more likely to have a severe case of the illness, those younger, without conditions are just as likely to get the illness, but with mild symptoms or asymptomatic. Though even for the younger age groups are not risk free.  Mortality for those under 50 are at about .2%, those 50-59 at 1.3%.  Much lower compared to those over 60, but certainly not risk free.

There is some evidence of lower infection rates in children under 18, but pretty consistent in groups 20 and up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Justalone said:

Good for you!  🙂

Highly unlikely you will get infected with Covid-19 if you are healthy and not 60+, do not have underlying heath issues like HBP, diabetes, heart, kidney, lung disease, and/or have a compromised immune system.  (See CDC website for details).  And recommendations from Dr. Fauci.

Enjoy your cruise.  And for others who decide to “just do it.”  👍👍👏👏

I think this is incorrect. If you are young and healthy the chance that you will have a  life threatening case of Covid-19 infection is small,  but it is still quite possible that you will contract it and carry it home to your family and neighbours, where it might compromise their health. And of course there is the possibility that your ship or you will be held in quarantine if you or anyone else on your cruise should happen to have symptoms.

Edited by sunshine 229
  • Like 6

While I don't think the sky is falling I am also not naive in believing that this is going away anytime soon.

My reasoning being their is no vaccine or medication to cure the virus, test kits aren't readily available, there are increased cases everyday and there is no indication how this virus will react as the weather gets warmer.  People keep comparing this to the flu which is giving a false sense of security.  There is a vaccine for the flu as well as a treatment if it's caught early. My concerns for cruising are ,if people can't even wash their hands when asked to do so at the buffet what are the odds that they will report to the medical center if they show symptoms of the flu or coronavirus? Will they continue to roam the ship eating at the same tables as healthy people? Every time someone sneezes will you wonder if they are contagious? All the hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes won't save you if you are stuck in the theater next to someone who is hacking. Even if you don't get sick are you willing to be stuck on a ship if they can't return because it's under quarantine?   

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

While I don't think the sky is falling I am also not naive in believing that this is going away anytime soon.

My reasoning being their is no vaccine or medication to cure the virus, test kits aren't readily available, there are increased cases everyday and there is no indication how this virus will react as the weather gets warmer.  People keep comparing this to the flu which is giving a false sense of security.  There is a vaccine for the flu as well as a treatment if it's caught early. My concerns for cruising are ,if people can't even wash their hands when asked to do so at the buffet what are the odds that they will report to the medical center if they show symptoms of the flu or coronavirus? Will they continue to roam the ship eating at the same tables as healthy people? Every time someone sneezes will you wonder if they are contagious? All the hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes won't save you if you are stuck in the theater next to someone who is hacking. Even if you don't get sick are you willing to be stuck on a ship if they can't return because it's under quarantine?   

Excellent post.  I'm starting to become a bit disgusted with those who are so blind as to say "it's just the flu, it's overhyped".  No, it's actually not - it's different.  If that was the case, why are cruise ships being quarantined?  Why do test kits exist?  Do you think Italy and China and South Korea should have just said 'oh, this is overhyped...' and done nothing? 

It's a pretty selfish view to assume that because the US has failed so gravely in testing (which face it, is the reason the cases are still so low) everyone needs to just act like this is status quo and put blinders on for the real risks.  For people who have cruises, plane tickets and accomodations booked, it's absolutely 'worth the hype' because we must, if we have any sense, start to consider alternatives to our travel plans, suck as it might.

We may actually have to start caring about other people sometimes - and those who are older or high-risk NEED us to.  

Edited by WorkerBee74
  • Like 14

For all those that say just do it.....I would say think twice...being one who just returned from Carnival Panorama this afternoon, the waiting game was nerve-racking.....even though at embarkation all cruisers on our sailing knew the potential of a quarantine..... when we were faced with the reality .... it didn't really compute.  The fact that 2 weeks of your life( in this case 4000+lives, including 1000 children) could be determine by the results of a test on 1  person is quite mind blowing.

BTW I actually took extra snacks and clothing, to be prepared...but nothing prepared me for the feeling I felt when we were informed about the ill passenger before disembarkation started. Even though from first announcements it sounded like she would test negative...actions by the ship made you think otherwise.

Just be prepared mentally.....

Edited by land lover
  • Like 10

11 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Plus, hopefully, they stop the push for us to share tables with strangers in the dining room.  

I think you are more at risk sitting in the theatre with people in very close proximity, and also in elevators, compared with sitting with others at a dining table.

4 hours ago, Chipster2 said:

Booked on the Grand Princess in 4 weeks. If she sails, we will be on her!

I have re-booked my clients on Carnival as the soonest Grand could sail again is 3/29 ( 3/22 hasn't been  taken off sale but is within the 14 day quarantine period).

On 3/7/2020 at 1:42 PM, RocketMan275 said:

You seem to be assuming once the ships are decontaminated, they will be safe.

And, after the 30/60 days, how do you propose preventing additional cases from boarding the ships?

The new Princess protocol:

If you use as examples what has happened to the Royal sailing Saturday and the Regal sailing Sunday, there is much to be worried about by the new protocols.

The Royal sailing was cancelled effectively by the US Government. One crew member on the Royal had come there over two weeks ago from the Grand which has had a virus outbreak and had still not been allowed to dock in the USA.

That Royal crew member had not shown any signs of illness for the more than two weeks and had not interacted before that with Grand crew who have been tested positive. Princess was unable to get a virus test on this crew member in a timely manner and thus the voyage was cancelled with (I assume) about 3000 passengers at the port waiting to board.

The Regal sailing was a;so cancelled effectively by the US Government. Two crew member on the Regal had come there over two weeks ago from the Grand which has had a virus outbreak and had still not been allowed to dock in the USA.

Those Regal crew members also had not shown any signs of illness for the more than two weeks and had not interacted before that with Grand crew who have been tested positive. Princess was notified around 3 AM that permission to sail again (and to dock in Port Everglades) was withdrawn pending testing of these two crew members. Wanting to avoid the Royal situation with thousands of passengers waiting at the terminal to board, Princess was proactive and sent out a cancellation notice in the middle of the night to embarking passengers. Princess was able to get the two Regal cruise members tested on Sunday with the results coming back around 6 PM Sunday evening.

Both the crew member on the Royal and the crew members on the regal tested negative.

The new protocols (link at the top of this post) call for enhanced screening of both disembarking and embarking passengers.

So if a disembarking passenger has a temperature or a cold or even the flu, what happens next?

o Will boarding for the next voyage be delayed while any such person is tested for the virus?

o Will all disembarking passengers who have not yet exited the ship be stopped until any tests come back?

o And what will then be done with the remaining passengers if that test is positive?

o Will the next voyage have to be cancelled as was done when a crew member with no symptoms the entire time he/she was on the ship could not be tested in a timely manner?

o Or will all the embarking passengers need to wait in the cruise terminal (possibly until the next day) until testing can be done and with a negative result?

o Will any required testing cause the loss of one day out of the voyage and thus in many cases cause the loss of a port (most likely the first one) on a cruise?

If a ship has 2000-3500 passengers disembarking, what are the chances that not one of them will have an elevated temperature, a cold, or other illness symptoms?

And what about the embarking passengers. The protocols say that anyone with an elevated temperature (for any reason apparently) will be denied boarding as well as anyone with symptoms that might possibly resemble the virus symptoms. So what happens next:

o Since that person had obviously been near others in the check-in area will anyone that had been near him be put in on shore quarantine and not allowed to cruise because they may have become infected if that person (without testing yet) was thought to potentially have the virus?

o What about passengers who had been near that person and had already boarded?

o Will the voyage be cancelled if testing of that person was not possible in a timely manner?

o Or will be voyage be delayed until such testing can be performed and come back with a negative result? Will all those who have not boarded yet be allowed onto the ship or will they have to wait in the terminal (possibly overnight) until the results have come back?

o Will any required testing cause the loss of one day out of the voyage and thus in many cases cause the loss of a port (most likely the first one) on a cruise?

Again, what are the chances that 2000-3500 embarking passengers will not have even one person with an elevated temperature or a cold or some other illness symptoms?

Will people be cancelling cruises just because after traveling what can be long distances to get to a port the voyage might be cancelled at the last minute because one person disembarking or embarking has a cold?

I certainly do not have the answers to these questions and possibilities, but neither do I think does Princess.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Plus, hopefully, they stop the push for us to share tables with strangers in the dining room.  

From the Princess Chief Medical Officer:

Tarling also said the company would advise its passengers to practice social distancing, such as sitting at least one seat away from their dining companions.

"It’s all being done fleet-wide," he said. "We’ve adopted these measures throughout our entire fleet."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/07/coronavirus-california-passenger-brought-virus-princess-cruise/4986296002/

• Like 3
  • Haha 1