PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

15 hours ago, sondi 14 said:

The Abels are still in the hospital in Japan. David is still testing positive, but Sally’s last test was negative. They both say they’re feeling well and hoping to be able to go home in about a week. He’s still on YouTube with daily updates. 

Glad to hear they are feeling well.  I couldn't find him on YouTube and I got worried.  I am sure they are anxious to get back home.  Stay well!

6 hours ago, disneycruisinsusan said:

Very good point! If they are talking about the 3 strains of Coronavirus as in SARS, MERS, and COVID19.... Then those are 3 different  coronaviruses and they have different ways they attach to cells, so I doubt that you could get immunity to all three of those by contracting only one....though it may be possible I suppose... Interesting... I think this is what they were referring to.... 

I wonder....is it possible to have immunity to all 3 if you contract one of them? Hmmmmmmm....Very good question! 😕😕

I was referring to three strains of covid-19, not three types of corona virus.

24 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Glad to hear they are feeling well.  I couldn't find him on YouTube and I got worried.  I am sure they are anxious to get back home.  Stay well!

search YouTube for VLOG David Abel

10 hours ago, caribill said:

I read today that three strains of this virus have been identified.  I have no idea if having had one protects you from the other two.

If you go by the other coronaviruses, you can get reinfected by the same strain.  So having one may not protect you from even that same one.

46 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

If you go by the other coronaviruses, you can get reinfected by the same strain.  So having one may not protect you from even that same one.

Virus mutate, and why we catch the cold and many strains of the flu again and again.

I have seen no studies yet on how many strains of COVID19 there are, but seems in Kirkland / Seattle they are dealing with a single one that has yet to mutate.   

If history and nature seems to indicate the more extreme the less favorable they seem to evolve and become something different, fully consistent with being extreme, LOL

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Virus mutate, and why we catch the cold and many strains of the flu again and again.

I have seen no studies yet on how many strains of COVID19 there are, but seems in Kirkland / Seattle they are dealing with a single one that has yet to mutate.   

If history and nature seems to indicate the more extreme the less favorable they seem to evolve and become something different, fully consistent with being extreme, LOL

in coronavirus i believe the reinfection mechanism is mostly attributed to the fact that you don't develop long term immunity.  So it does't need to mutate, you can get reinfected by the exact same virus.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/epidemiology-and-infection/article/time-course-of-the-immune-response-to-experimental-coronavirus-infection-of-man/6C633E4EFDAEB2B4C0E39861A9F88B01

while this study says re-infection was more mild, there is some evidence that reinfection by SARS was worse than primary.  Only time will tell for covid which way it will fall.

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, caribill said:

I was referring to three strains of covid-19, not three types of corona virus.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was unsure of what you meant since there now three different Corona viruses that have reared their ugly little heads in the 2000's, now that COVID19 has joined SARS and MERS... ....I did a bit of hunting for info and it is not unlike the influenza virus, in that influenza has A And B strains, A being more pathogenic than B strains of flu. So some strains of this COVID19 virus may be more pathogenic, (much more viral, meaning the sickness it causes is more severe.). That is not unusual in viruses, they mutate rapidly.

It does gives the researchers more to have to try to figure out. Which of the strains is more pathogenic, and which one causes a milder sickness. This could also explain why some people are getting sicker than others. 

Fascinating little germ. The more they learn, the more they can find something that may treat it or even create a vaccine for it possibly! I sure hope that is the case for this little monster. We need to fight this germ on it's own turf. I pray they are able to find a vaccine or treatment...🙏🙏🙏🙏

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

It looks like China will be commencing with trying out treatment protocols in Spring....Some of them sound promising...and I know there are labs all over the world working on trying to create a vaccine or treatment...These people are dedicated and GOD Bless them for working the long arduous hours they are trying to find that magic bullet! 🙏🙏🙏🙏💙💙💙💙

1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

in coronavirus i believe the reinfection mechanism is mostly attributed to the fact that you don't develop long term immunity.  So it does't need to mutate, you can get reinfected by the exact same virus.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/epidemiology-and-infection/article/time-course-of-the-immune-response-to-experimental-coronavirus-infection-of-man/6C633E4EFDAEB2B4C0E39861A9F88B01

while this study says re-infection was more mild, there is some evidence that reinfection by SARS was worse than primary.  Only time will tell for covid which way it will fall.

That is definitely not comforting news....Long term immunity would have been a best case scenario with this virus That is not good. Usually re-infection happens due to mutation, but this one does not require mutation to re-infect??? WOW! 😲😲😲😲

The researchers may find something to interfere with that re-infection mechanism. That is truly interesting, a virus that does NOT need to mutate to re-infect. Usually our bodies react to a pathogen it has seen before and blocks it from re-infecting, but that is NOT happening with COVID19? A new wrinkle for viruses. There are probably more Corona viruses out there we have not even been introduced to also....These markets where these viruses emerge must be shut down or cleaned up! There is NO reason for the conditions to allow more of these viruses or perhaps bacteria to get a foothold in humans. 

We are booked on Regal in April.  We have no intention of cancelling just based on the numbers. This is not a pandemic.  It is barely a local epidemic in China.  In the US it can't come close to the common flu.  I am confident that Princess is taking adequate precautions as are we.  IMHO, the overreaction so far is way outpacing the virus itself.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

This read I found interesting.   I explained the death rate of the reg flu compared the corona.  

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-compared-to-flu-mortality-rates-2020-3

Ultimately the mortality rate will decrease significantly and I personally believe it sits at about 0.3% given that many millions of Chinese were probably infected and not ever tested. Europe and the USA are still in flu season so probably a lot of citizens are also infected who don't and probably will never know they even had this virus.

Am I the only one who cant understand why the Grand Princess hasn't been notified about the test results?  Announcements were made early yesterday morning that testing would be done and results back in a few hours.  The governor repeated it. 

And all the reports of testing shortages, nurses saying that many hospitals dont have protocols in place for isolation of positive patients and haven't explained testing procedures to them.

Is this America or some third world country?

Edited by twentyknots
correction
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Just_Westy said:

Ultimately the mortality rate will decrease significantly and I personally believe it sits at about 0.3% given that many millions of Chinese were probably infected and not ever tested. Europe and the USA are still in flu season so probably a lot of citizens are also infected who don't and probably will never know they even had this virus.

The mortality rate might be different because  many of Chinese/ others were probably infected and were never tested those who may have died from it and never knew that they had it/ or were not tested

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ladymadeline said:

Does it surprise anyone that the majority of positive tests are crew members? Why didn’t they anticipate this and not turn around and go out to Hawaii?

Ever taken a behind the scenes tour?  Crew quarters are not the cleanest.

6 minutes ago, ladymadeline said:

Does it surprise anyone that the majority of positive tests are crew members? Why didn’t they anticipate this and not turn around and go out to Hawaii?

This shouldn't surprise anyone, but also confirms that if the crew got it that there were many other passengers disembarked on the cruise spreading.

Why the incubation period everyone is assuming is 14 days, but some will develop it earlier and some later.  I'll go far to say the crew is probably a hardier bunch getting exposed to lots of things so they likely represent a population that will have longer incubation times.  They fact that some passengers tested means there are likely more that have it and don't know for another couple weeks at a minimum.  As usual the crew is young and hardy, the first death from the prior cruise old with underlying conditions, first to catch first to fall gravely ills, lots more hardy ones walking around with it and maybe don't know yet, totally expected from a Darwin point of view        

The Grand like the Diamond were perfect well controlled environments to study but all the cases across the US says the larger problem isn't the Grand, it's is already everywhere in the US.

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cltnccruisers said:

Ever taken a behind the scenes tour?  Crew quarters are not the cleanest.

What are you basing this ridiculous comment on?

Are you aware of crew quarters and procedures for crew on Princess?

Are you aware they are inspected on a regular basis.

I would love to hear how you know this.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Colo Cruiser said:

What are you basing this ridiculous comment on?

Are you aware of crew quarters and procedures for crew on Princess?

Are you aware they are inspected on a regular basis.

I would love to hear how you know this.

I've been on 3, though I admit not on Princess.  Not ridiculous at all if you keep your eyes open.