PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

we were just on Carnival Vista Feb 1  Lots of sick people onboard. In our party 9/12 got sick-mostly flu like upper respiratory stuff. One of ours had to be hospitilized for dehydration-but she has several underlying conditions. Not a word from the company.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rj42 said:

So now the Regal off Miami is also stuck at sea, since it also had a former Grand crew member, meaning its upcoming cruise will be canceled. The same with the Royal. The Carnival Panorama made everybody stay on board an extra day because a disembarking passenger had symptoms, while everyone scheduled to embark had to find their own hotel room for the night (competing with everyone on the canceled Royal cruise). The new procedures agreed to yesterday will supposedly include disembarkation temperature screening, and so that means a single fever can mean everyone stays on the ship to avoid a repeat of the Grand passengers spreading contagion, and embarking passengers would either have their cruise delayed or canceled and left to fend for themselves for getting lodging and air changes. Also, if you go back from any infected ship, you have to worry about whether you somehow have the virus and can transmit it to others, and coworkers and neighbors might avoid you if they find out you were on an affected cruise (it's not fair, but people now are in hysteria mode--look at the stores shelves emptied of toilet paper). Going on a Princess cruise now is like a Muslim flying after 9/11--people will be afraid of you. 

Onboard, I'd be reluctant to go on any ship that uses tongs in a buffet, and I just shudder to think of the HAL safety drills with everyone jammed against each other like sardines. As another poster said, I'm not scared of the virus, I'm just scared of being stuck on a ship or having my cruise canceled or delayed while I'm at the port. It's not worth it, especially with plenty of cheap airfare and empty planes to take me to places where I can get sun or ocean beauty without getting close to people, particularly the sick and elderly.

Sorry us elderly and sick from something other than the corona virus will try to keep our distance  ! Hope you don't get old ,good luck with that 🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ddled said:

we were just on Carnival Vista Feb 1  Lots of sick people onboard. In our party 9/12 got sick-mostly flu like upper respiratory stuff. One of ours had to be hospitilized for dehydration-but she has several underlying conditions. Not a word from the company.

I am sorry hope she will be alright!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ddled said:

What word do you want? 

2 hours ago, debsjc said:

So we now now crew were transferred from the Grand to both the Royal and Regal, how many other ships could be at risk?

I am especially interested in the Emerald, as we disembarked in San Pedro last Saturday. 

Deb

We left Moorea Feb. 20 and then had 8 days at sea so any new crew would have had to have arrived 17 days ago.

That's more than the 14 day period that it might take for symptoms.

AND that's assuming Princess would pay to fly crew that to that far and remote location.

There was RAMPANT flu on that ship - a lot more to worry about than this new virus. But the incubation period to get that has also passed .

Edited by chamima
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, chamima said:

Deb

We left Moorea Feb. 20 and then had 8 days at sea so any new crew would have had to have arrived 17 days ago.

That's more than the 14 day period that it might take for symptoms.

AND that's assuming Princess would pay to fly crew that to that far and remote location.

There was RAMPANT flu on that ship - a lot more to worry about than this new virus. But the incubation period to get that has also passed .

Yes, I think you are right, we should be fine. Although I do believe a lot of cases or Corona show no symptoms, so we can't be sure. 
I did not know there was a lot of flu on board. In that case those flu passengers should really have been tested to make sure it was normal flu.

45 minutes ago, Oregon278 said:

Also on that link you posted, it says ''There have been two presumptive cases of coronavirus in Broward County. The patents are 65 and 75 years old. Both are cruise-related and both are under quarantine.''

I wonder which ship they were on? 

So my question is also for the Emerald. Did anyone from the Grand join Emerald in San Pedro for the cruise that ended in SF on 2/21?  Could see doing a week in Ca then heading south, either crew or passengers.  We are due to get on Emerald on 3/15

2 minutes ago, calimn said:

So my question is also for the Emerald. Did anyone from the Grand join Emerald in San Pedro for the cruise that ended in SF on 2/21?  Could see doing a week in Ca then heading south, either crew or passengers.  We are due to get on Emerald on 3/15

The Emerald didn't arrive in San Pedro till 2/29 - so that;s the soonest they could have joined (We were at sea for 8 days before that) 

1 minute ago, calimn said:

The Emerald left San Pedro on Feb. 1 for 28 days to Hawaii and Tahiti and then

Feb. 29 th for a 15 day Panama Canal cruise.

13 minutes ago, debsjc said:

Also on that link you posted, it says ''There have been two presumptive cases of coronavirus in Broward County. The patents are 65 and 75 years old. Both are cruise-related and both are under quarantine.''

I wonder which ship they were on? 

Unfortunately one was a person checking people off of the ship.  https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article240991126.html

Edited by jakeconmag
  • Like 1

And this second coronavirus death in the UK is reported as being after the person returned from a Caribbean cruise https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11102624/family-coronavirus-granddad-unable-arrange-funeral/ . The 83 year old man passed away last Thursday.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ClearyCreek said:

And this second coronavirus death in the UK is reported as being after the person returned from a Caribbean cruise https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11102624/family-coronavirus-granddad-unable-arrange-funeral/ . The 83 year old man passed away last Thursday.

Thank you, I did not know that he had returned from a cruise. My heart goes out to his family.

Another issue is that the crew on whichever ship that was, could now be infected.

Edited by debsjc

As a long time cruiser on Princess and another line, it is vital that that going forward no passenger is allowed to serve themselves in the buffet.  Yes this does put a strain on the crew but it also protects everyone on board to minimize transmission of any virus.  
As one who experienced a horrible flu on board the Star Princess, I was aghast at the lack of effective control in the buffet.  Passengers were restricted only after the noro virus also hit the vessel.  Needless to say upon arrival at Vancouver, the ship was sanitized again.  Over 1000 passengers on the ship were sick.  The simple solutions are necessary as many travellers refuse to wash or sanitize their hands upon entering the food courts and restaurants.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2020 at 10:18 AM, Guindalf said:

If it wasn't for morons scaremongering, there wouldn't BE a problem!

All cruise ships are floating petri dishes, but if people followed a few basic rules of cleanliness, there is little to worry about. Sure, be careful and watch what happens before you take food in the buffet, but remember, not everyone who sneezes is Typhoid Mary!

If people (and media) used some common sense - both sailing and, more importantly, reporting and/or posting on forums, this whole thing is a relative non-event!

Tell that to the guests who got the virus on those 2 ships, as well as the others who were/are stuck in their cabins for 14 days

• Like 3

I’ve been following Dr. John Campbell. He’s doing daily video updates and they are very interesting. I think many of us right now are not taking this as serious as we should be. Since this is a new virus we can’t be comparing it to others.  Social distancing is looking like the best course of action right now. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching/videos

5 hours ago, tattydog said:

I believe he was from the diamond princess in the Far East. He had other health issues apparently-

That is not the same person. A person has died in the UK he has come of a carribean cruise last week but they won't say which one. He is the second person to die within the UK itself.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

As a long time cruiser on Princess and another line, it is vital that that going forward no passenger is allowed to serve themselves in the buffet.  Yes this does put a strain on the crew but it also protects everyone on board to minimize transmission of any virus.  
As one who experienced a horrible flu on board the Star Princess, I was aghast at the lack of effective control in the buffet.  Passengers were restricted only after the noro virus also hit the vessel.  Needless to say upon arrival at Vancouver, the ship was sanitized again.  Over 1000 passengers on the ship were sick.  The simple solutions are necessary as many travellers refuse to wash or sanitize their hands upon entering the food courts and restaurants.  

Spot on!!  I think it would be less of a hardship on the crew to do all the serving on the ship than serving everyone food in the rooms when the entire passenger population is under quarantine.  It's not a foolproof plan but, when norovirus precautions are put into place, this is the process and it works!  If one good thing can come out of this situation ... this one gets my vote!  Plus, hopefully, they stop the push for us to share tables with strangers in the dining room.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, cruising deacon said:

It is OK for the crew to have the virus and continue to be serving you on the ship, but not to send them home?

Yes, it's called containment.

Why risk infecting countless others by sending the crew all over the globe, instead of the 3000+ passengers currently on board?

There's a serious lack of logic in your thinking.

6 hours ago, tattydog said:

Well said Al, we are also going on the same cruise as long as it isn’t cancelled and the Hawaiian ports remain open. Common sense such as avoiding hand rails and elevators, and washing hands regularly , and coughing into tissues ( or crook of elbow) will help lessen the spread/contamination, but for the average person the symptoms are minimal and no more than a usual cold. If you have chronic respiratory problems, diabetes or high blood pressure then you should be fine

You would think that washing your hands would be common sense even before this virus scare. But, obviously there are unfortunately lots of people who never learned basics like wash your hands after going to the bathroom. Just yesterday I was in a men's room at a skating rink (and of course washed my hands before leaving), but the other person in the same room at the time just up and left without washing his hands after using a urinal. It really is hard to believe but true that there are folks who would do that.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

That is not the same person. A person has died in the UK he has come of a carribean cruise last week but they won't say which one. He is the second person to die within the UK itself.

Someone should be notifying all the passengers from that cruise, and potentially the ones on that ship now. 

On 3/6/2020 at 8:14 PM, TNhome said:

We agree on this!  I am just curious how things have changed.  At this point Princess really can't afford more bad publicity.  I just wondered what steps are being taken on the ship to protect the employees as well as the cruisers.  We have no plans on cancelling our cruise 3 weeks out. 

No changes on the Royal last week.  Only the questionnaire when boarding.

Expect some changes after they announced some on Saturday.

1 hour ago, tattydog said:

Sorry!, it should have read “Unless” you have those other health problems!

thank you , I should proof read before posting 🤦🏼‍♀️

We all make mistakes I have posted some real doozies on different forums read them later when I was not falling asleep or just waking up and slapped my forehead...lol

• Haha 2