PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

56 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'll be 60 in December so I'm on the cusp of the the Corona target. Thankfully I never smoked so I don't have a compromised respiratory system. My comment about the older demographic was to point out that their target audience might be put off from cruising for a while.  I think this ordeal has been a real education and has taught me to look at things differently like taking along a months supply of daily medication for a 7 day cruise and  looking at insurance policies differently.

Unfortunatley I did smoke 😞 stopped 25 years ago ..too late! 😞 I have COPD !  Wish I could go back but that is not possible so will have to make do ! Good news is if

we are ever togather the monster will get me  first, you can out run me in three steps...lol lol 🙂

Edited by Reader0108598

30 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

I know right !! I am 61... so insulted!! JK hubby is 72 .... you are as old as you feel we are staying put for now! He would be fine but I have Respiratory issues 😞 I just canceled our 40 th anniversary trip for May 😞

Doesn’t it just mean you are more likely to die from Covid-19 infection if you are 60+  And if you have underlying health issues, like HBP, diabetes, heart, lung, or liver disease?  Or have a compromised immune system?  

I have read lots of folks here on Cruise Critic who do not believe that, and go.  And enjoying their half empty ship.   No waiting in lines, and no worries about chair hogs.

Enjoy your cruise.  Safe travels.

Edited by Justalone

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

I’m right there with you, although my DH is a bit older.  We are both in good health and were surprised to see they said elderly people (saying 60 and above) should reconsider cruising at this time.  Who are they calling elderly?  Dang!  We never really thought of ourselves as elderly!  There is a huge difference between the health between some 60 year olds.  I’m glad they clarified that statement a bit ... probably everyone in the travel  industry encouraged them to further refine their position on that.  
Of interest, someone I met with yesterday had friends with a cruise booked out of Italy this November.  They actually got a phone call from the cruiseline asking them all about their health status, including what meds they took.. I think she said it was Princess but I can’t be sure.  Wow?  Really?  Wonder if they are looking at the feasibility of cruising in that area, even though it is eight months away?  
Lots of changes, that’s for sure!  
Another friend just flew from North Carolina to New Orleans this morning ... said the flights were over half empty.  The airlines, along with the cruiselines are bleeding money right now. I’m sure the large and small independent travel agencies are also taking a big hit.  Sad to see!  

There is chronological age then biological age, good you are 60's going on 30's, I see some 30's going on 60's a lot when I travel too. 

Guidelines are based on statistics and their are outliers on both sides.  Kind of like the seats in economy sometimes not sure where those statistics come from.

To cruise out of sympathy for business is the wrong reason to travel and traveling when you could be low risk but a high risk for spreading is selfish.    

Shouldn't we as a society change our behavior for the better good of society and your neighbor.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Justalone said:

Doesn’t it just mean you are more likely to die from Covid-19 infection if you are 60+  And if you have underlying health issues, like HBP, diabetes, heart, lung, or liver disease?  Or have a compromised immune system?  

I have read lots of folks here on Cruise Critic who do not believe that, and go.  And enjoying their half empty ship.   No waiting in lines, and no worries about chair hogs.

1 hour ago, Justalone said:

JK -Just joking ! We need to lighten up a bit on this! I could die from the flu or a general cold also! Could step off the curb and get run over by a car! Not an Idiot either put off my May trip but not living my life in fear either! The Media is  something else! Travel live your life and have fun!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

I agree....at least for the next 2 months at least because now the cruise lines are putting passengers on ships and they have no idea if they are super carries or not.......they are gambling with 1000's of people's lives and their practices are going against what is being suggested by the experts to not allow large gatherings of people to prevent the spread of COVID-19....and cruise ships meet the criteria of a large gathering!!!  As a matter of Princess basically brought the disease to the USA!

So, have you a bit of data on that last sentence? The CDC shows the desease entering the US in January. Exclamation points do not make something true; nor doe the word "basically" excuse an inaccuracy. 

As far as canceling cruises, if you and the person you replied to are speaking of individuals canceling,  I likewise would agree. If you are speaking of govenment institutions mandating cancellations, I disagree.

Edited by tailspintom
Fixing some horrible spelling
  • Like 1

"A proposal submitted to the White House Tuesday by CLIA, the leading cruise trade organization, would deny cruise boarding to any person over 70 unless they are able to present a doctor's note verifying their fitness for travel."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/11/proposal-white-house-cruise-industry-bar-people-70-ships/5020325002/

2 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

"A proposal submitted to the White House Tuesday by CLIA, the leading cruise trade organization, would deny cruise boarding to any person over 70 unless they are able to present a doctor's note verifying their fitness for travel."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/11/proposal-white-house-cruise-industry-bar-people-70-ships/5020325002/

If it has come down to that - I think they should just realize the longer they try to keep people cruising the worse it is going to be for them.  it is an admission cruising is unsafe during the Pandemic

• Like 4

And unfortunately it gets worse, Canada is mulling barring all cruise ships which would effective stop the Alaska cruises.

"Most cruise ships do not fly U.S. flags.  Ships flying a non-U.S. flag must stop at a foreign port between U.S. stops, such as Mexico or Canada. If Canada is no longer a port option, ships effectively can’t get to Alaska from the U.S. without the standard stop in Vancouver."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/11/coronavirus-cruise-ships-us-ports-entry/5015856002/

• Like 2

That idea does not make sense it is not people over 70 who are causing this problem it is the virus along with how it spreads and how the cruise lines are handling it They should have a moratorium on cruising in the usa now for a set period of time i am a long time cruiser since 1989 and i have always appreciated being on a ship and traveling from port to port As i age i like it even more I do not plan to cruise for at least several months or until this pandemic is over But i want to cruise again BTW isn't this age discrimination?

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

One of the stupidest suggestions I've heard. It just lets younger people cruise, pass around the virus, and then bring it home to all the older or immune compromised people in their home neighbourhood. Not to mention all the places they pass through on their way home. What idiots suggested this??

Edited by sunshine 229
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, sunshine 229 said:

One of the stupidest suggestions I've heard. It just lets younger people cruise, pass around the virus, and then bring it home to all the older or immune compromised people in their home neighbourhood. Not to mention all the places they pass through on their way home. What idiots suggested this??

The Cruise Lines International Association and Princess (CCL- Carnival Cruise Lines) is a member.

4 minutes ago, sunshine 229 said:

Agree - it is the cruise lines trying to find a way to keep their cruise liners going during the current situation. Can’t blame them for that but it sounds a daft idea as you highlight.

Maybe they should accept that there will be a period of pain for a period, mothball some ships and wait until the position has settled down. If governments say that large gathering of 1000 or more are banned then surely that means a cruise ship or a large holiday complex? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

If it passes HAL is in big trouble

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, sunshine 229 said:

What else can they do, other than shutting down entirely?  At least they are getting the most at risk off of the ships in case of an outbreak.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2beaglesmom said:

That idea does not make sense it is not people over 70 who are causing this problem it is the virus along with how it spreads and how the cruise lines are handling it They should have a moratorium on cruising in the usa now for a set period of time i am a long time cruiser since 1989 and i have always appreciated being on a ship and traveling from port to port As i age i like it even more I do not plan to cruise for at least several months or until this pandemic is over But i want to cruise again BTW isn't this age discrimination?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A moratorium on the cruise industry would pretty much force the cruise lines into bankruptcy.  They have too much debt, too little cash, and would require additional lending that they are unlikely to get.

18 minutes ago, sunshine 229 said:

Excuse me but what the hell are they talking about! Let them try that!

Edited by Reader0108598

8 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

Sorry but dinning rooms are no better do you know how many people touch your plates and food before you get it? Everyone is worried about the buffet no worse than the dining room! I Have worked in nice Resturants...ya don't want to know!

I was referring to Vegas on the whole- not just the buffets.

(And yes - I’m sure that there are some disgusting practices in those nice restaurants that would be unsettling to know about😝)

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

And unfortunately it gets worse, Canada is mulling barring all cruise ships which would effective stop the Alaska cruises.

"Most cruise ships do not fly U.S. flags.  Ships flying a non-U.S. flag must stop at a foreign port between U.S. stops, such as Mexico or Canada. If Canada is no longer a port option, ships effectively can’t get to Alaska from the U.S. without the standard stop in Vancouver."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/11/coronavirus-cruise-ships-us-ports-entry/5015856002/

WA Governor just banned events over 250 people. Good luck letting Cruise Ships come to port in Seattle.

• Like 3

Just now, Colo Cruiser said:

Like thats going to help.

Well actually it will help slow down the curve of the rate of infection by social distancing.  That's been the experience other places with outbreaks. No it will not stop it, just slow it down. Unless your goal is to kill Grandpa, then do nothing, just get sick and have him over for dinner.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nooptere said:

Well actually it will help slow down the curve of the rate of infection by social distancing.  That's been the experience other places with outbreaks. No it will not stop it, just slow it down. Unless your goal is to kill Grandpa, then do nothing, just get sick and have him over for dinner.

Thanks but IMO that is not social distancing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2