PRINCESS SHIPS & CORONA VIRUS

mcrcruiser

On 3/10/2020 at 3:27 AM, SakeDad said:

Disney PLEASE keep us updated. It's amazing here how often the crew is dismissed and forgotten....as former crew I am all to aware of it. Let your friend know there are MANY here that care about them and understand the TOTAL disconnect between shoreside and on-board. Sometimes it's HOPELESS to expect help...but I pray they are not forgotten or abused in this.

Yes, I will....We have only gotten short messages, he is still not positive for Corona....but no other news about what they are doing onboard I will try to email him tomorrow....Hubby and he usually just text quick messages....I will let him now that there are many people who are holding the crew in their hearts and praying for them....🙏🙏💙💙

On 3/11/2020 at 9:52 AM, tailspintom said:

So, have you a bit of data on that last sentence? The CDC shows the desease entering the US in January. Exclamation points do not make something true; nor doe the word "basically" excuse an inaccuracy. 

As far as canceling cruises, if you and the person you replied to are speaking of individuals canceling,  I likewise would agree. If you are speaking of govenment institutions mandating cancellations, I disagree.

The first case was in Washington (where I am) and he had just visited China.  

18 hours ago, bookmama22 said:

I knew we were heading down this road from Day 1 as this was not simply going to go away. I agree that all leisure travel should be suspended. The NY Phil, Carnegie Hall, the Met Opera have all cancelled performances for the rest of the month, the Met Museum and other museums are following suite, St Patrick's Day Parade, and so on

I am in self quarantine as I was exposed to my niece who tested positive upon her return to Israel earlier this week and is hospitalized. My office just announced that beginning tomorrow everyone should work remotely although office and office building will remain open for those who want to come in. 

As for me I have already done a phone intake with NYS Coronavirus hotline and waiting for call back from them as well as doctor about testing. 

I hope you don’t catch catch it and that your niece feels better soon. These are trying times!

Great news for those who have been folliwing the Abels!  David is NEGATIVE!  Sally is having a bath, and he's up next.  Just wanted to post an update to let everyone know these two wonderful people are on the mend, and prayerfully on their way home in short order!  Kudos to them and to Princess for demonstrating such fortitude in the face of diversity.  I, for one, would choose Princess first based on how they have stepped up in light of this outbreak.

It is not what happens to us, but how we rise to the occasion that defines us!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, rich_cathybrock said:

Great news for those who have been folliwing the Abels!  David is NEGATIVE!  Sally is having a bath, and he's up next.  Just wanted to post an update to let everyone know these two wonderful people are on the mend, and prayerfully on their way home in short order!  Kudos to them and to Princess for demonstrating such fortitude in the face of diversity.  I, for one, would choose Princess first based on how they have stepped up in light of this outbreak.

It is not what happens to us, but how we rise to the occasion that defines us!

Don’t they have to test negative of Covid-19  3 times in a row before are released from hospital and can go home?  Have they both met that requirement?

Edited by Justalone

So cruises are shut down for 60 days which basically covers all Transatlantic sailings.

So how realistic is it for us to assume that after the shut down that Princess can suddenly create new TA sailings and market them in a short window to salvage any part of the European season..

With so much uncertainty i can't imagine they could plan for that scenario..where would crew come from,supplies etc etc???

Essentially what i'm asking is why Princess can't or won't announce that the European season is toast.

Logistics aside,how can you plan if you don't even know if you will have ports to go to or start from?

4 hours ago, Justalone said:

Don’t they have to test negative of Covid-19  3 times in a row before are released from hospital and can go home?  Have they both met that requirement?

Yes  Sally has had her negative results but she is staying with David.  Today was David's first negative.  They've done daily blogs since they were on the Diamond.  This is their 7th week (of a 2 week cruise) to be away from home.  Hoping he'll continue to have 2 more negatives and both go home soon.  They have had mild symptoms the entire time and it has been very encouraging to watch their great attitudes as they deal with this situation.  God bless them both!!

• Like 2

MIAMI, March 13, 2020 – Today Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD. announced that it is suspending cruising in the United States for 30 days.

We understand the gravity of the public health crisis confronting the country. And this is our part to play. So, beginning at midnight tonight, we are pausing the fleet’s US sailings for 30 days. 

We are reaching out to our guests to help them work through this disruption to their vacations, and we are truly sorry for their inconvenience. We are also communicating with our crew to work out the issues this decision presents for them. We know this adds great stress to our guests, employees and crew, and we are working to minimize the disruption.

Our business is providing great vacations and creating great memories. We look forward to getting back to work as soon as we can.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pedro2400 said:

MIAMI, March 13, 2020 – Today Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD. announced that it is suspending cruising in the United States for 30 days.

We understand the gravity of the public health crisis confronting the country. And this is our part to play. So, beginning at midnight tonight, we are pausing the fleet’s US sailings for 30 days. 

We are reaching out to our guests to help them work through this disruption to their vacations, and we are truly sorry for their inconvenience. We are also communicating with our crew to work out the issues this decision presents for them. We know this adds great stress to our guests, employees and crew, and we are working to minimize the disruption.

Our business is providing great vacations and creating great memories. We look forward to getting back to work as soon as we can.

Interesting that it is not world-wide like Princess is doing.

8 hours ago, docsdrillers said:

So cruises are shut down for 60 days which basically covers all Transatlantic sailings.

So how realistic is it for us to assume that after the shut down that Princess can suddenly create new TA sailings and market them in a short window to salvage any part of the European season..

They have already been figuring out changes to the European itineraries, so they need to come up with the the TAs to get the ships there.

The TAs may sale relatively empty with a short marketing period. On the other hand, princes may be so low many will book them.

Or, they could just reposition the ships empty to Europe to be there when the shutdown is over.

33 minutes ago, caribill said:

Interesting that it is not world-wide like Princess is doing.

That's Not the ONLY difference. Princess offered 100% Future Cruise Credit PLUS 125% Bonus Future Cruise Credit OR 100%  Cash Refund PLUS 100% FCC for sailings within a week.  Celebrity's Offer is ONLY a 125% FCC, or a 100% Refund for sailings this week.

No mention of compensation for flights or hotels or anything for cruises tomorrow or Sunday, even though many people are already in town expecting to board a ship in 24-48 hours.

Edited by SunNFunCruzer

4 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

That's Not the ONLY difference. Princess offered 100% Future Cruise Credit PLUS 125% Bonus Future Cruise Credit OR 100%  Cash Refund PLUS 100% FCC for sailings within a week.  Celebrity's Offer is ONLY a 125% FCC, or a 100% Refund for sailings this week.

No mention of compensation for flights or hotels or anything for cruises tomorrow or Sunday, even though many people are already in town expecting to board a ship in 24-48 hours.

Pretty good deal, I should have anticipated and booked a last minute and viola got a 125% return, darn

I've started a new thread because this information doesn't really fit well in the existing Wuhan Virus threads.

This report focuses on transmission rates and death rates encountered on the Diamond Princess.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cruise-ship-data-helps-reveal-coronavirus-death-rate-researchers

From the report:

Out of the 697 who tested positive a month ago, seven people have died on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, 15 remain in critical condition, and 30 were once in critical condition but have improved, according to Japan's Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare. A further 388 have recovered.

The seven deaths, out of the 697 who tested positive, make for a death rate of 1% on the ship. More deaths are also possible.

Ten medical researchers at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine estimated likely additional deaths and adjusted death rates by age in an unpublished paper.

Adjusting for age is important, because the average person on the ship was elderly, according to Japan's Institute of Infectious Diseases. The ship's average age was 58, and 33 percent were 70 or older.

All seven deaths so far were of passengers aged 70 or older.

The researchers used the ship's data to estimate a death rate among those aged over 70 of 9 percent -- a very high death rate.

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

I've started a new thread because this information doesn't really fit well in the existing Wuhan Virus threads.

This report focuses on transmission rates and death rates encountered on the Diamond Princess.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cruise-ship-data-helps-reveal-coronavirus-death-rate-researchers

From the report:

Out of the 697 who tested positive a month ago, seven people have died on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, 15 remain in critical condition, and 30 were once in critical condition but have improved, according to Japan's Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare. A further 388 have recovered.

The seven deaths, out of the 697 who tested positive, make for a death rate of 1% on the ship. More deaths are also possible.

Ten medical researchers at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine estimated likely additional deaths and adjusted death rates by age in an unpublished paper.

Adjusting for age is important, because the average person on the ship was elderly, according to Japan's Institute of Infectious Diseases. The ship's average age was 58, and 33 percent were 70 or older.

All seven deaths so far were of passengers aged 70 or older.

The researchers used the ship's data to estimate a death rate among those aged over 70 of 9 percent -- a very high death rate.

the study neglects those that left the ship at the end of quarantine, and died else where of covid-19.  There were some but do not recall the exact number.

9 minutes ago, npcl said:

the study neglects those that left the ship at the end of quarantine, and died else where of covid-19.  There were some but do not recall the exact number.

Do you recall if those numbers would have been large enough (not exact, but approximately) to significantly affect the results?

I posted this because this is the only study I've seen that has focused on cruise ship data.  It would seem that would be more appropriate to this forum than world wide data or data from China (heavily skewed towards smokers) which must always be taken with some salt.

25 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Do you recall if those numbers would have been large enough (not exact, but approximately) to significantly affect the results?

I posted this because this is the only study I've seen that has focused on cruise ship data.  It would seem that would be more appropriate to this forum than world wide data or data from China (heavily skewed towards smokers) which must always be taken with some salt.

considering that the number of dead is 7 even 2 additional would be an increase of almost 30 percent. So yes. Especially since the number infected would not grow at anywhere near the same percentage.

Just now, npcl said:

considering that the number of dead is 7 even 2 additional would be an increase of almost 30 percent. So yes. Especially since the number infected would not grow at anywhere near the same percentage.

The real issues is the death rate, not the total number of deaths.  

There were 697 total infected.  Increasing the number of deaths from seven to nine

Seven divided by 697 is 0.01004

Nine divided by 697 is 0.01291

The difference is almost 30% but still no where near the death rates reported in Wuhan.

The death rates in Wuhan were almost 5.8%.  You would need 41 deaths (and additional 34) to get to death rates approaching that.

Our April cruise was obviously canceled.  There were 6 of us, me, wife 2 daughters, 2 grandaughters.  150% FCC which is split across the 6 of us.  I understand why that do that - it draws new cruisers in.  I paid for the whole darn thing, though, so it sort of  pisses me off.  Granddaughters will end up with FCC they may never use.  Wife and I may apply our excess to a future cruise but  I told her to buy jewelry.  Daughter's boyfriend, who couldn't go in April, want's to go in the replacement cruise in December.  Daughter may not be able to use her FCC for him so he may be out of pocket.  somehow that seems to be my problem.  Sheesh.

4 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Our April cruise was obviously canceled.  There were 6 of us, me, wife 2 daughters, 2 grandaughters.  150% FCC which is split across the 6 of us.  I understand why that do that - it draws new cruisers in.  I paid for the whole darn thing, though, so it sort of  pisses me off.  Granddaughters will end up with FCC they may never use.  Wife and I may apply our excess to a future cruise but  I told her to buy jewelry.  Daughter's boyfriend, who couldn't go in April, want's to go in the replacement cruise in December.  Daughter may not be able to use her FCC for him so he may be out of pocket.  somehow that seems to be my problem.  Sheesh.

I suggest that you wait a week or two for phone traffic to settle down and call Princess and ask to speak to someone that can help you sort this out. Explain to them that you are the one that paid and if possible could they please credit all the FCC to your account.

14 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

So sorry! 😞

Thats my prob too.  When You cancel, or they cancel for you, but You PAID for Everyone.

It should be returned to the Credit Card Holder who Paid for the cabins.  NOT distributed to the gang.

No offense but thats MY money.

And like others have said, the other family or friends may not be able to return and

that money is Gone.

Should be returned to the Cardholder!

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo
  • Like 2