Dining..Do you mind having to order everything at once?

Heatherco

On the Serenade recently I was asked if I minded having my appetizer and salad served at the same time.  Yes I minded and asking for the dessert order before the rest of the meal is served- I mind that too.  Dinner in the main dining room used to be an occasion, now it's not up to the standard of low end casual restaurants on land.  I have one more cruise booked on the Serenade and that will probably be my last.  I'm not blaming the servers: they clearly have too many tables to serve.

• Like 2

I love to order everything together.  It ends up being so much quicker than the old way of ordering dessert after you’re done with your entree.  It knocks off around 30 minutes of your dining time.

You are able to ask your waiter to take your dessert order after you’re done with your entree but if you’re at a table with others, ask if it’s ok with them first since it’ll change for everyone. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

It used to be that way but in recent years (can't remember when)  they've changed things and like to take the dessert order up front.

We weren't on Anthem that long ago and I recall ordering desert after our entree', but maybe not, it's not really something that I would pay that much attention to.

These poor MDR wait staff folks cant catch a break!  If they take too long they get complaints.  If they are efficient and get you fed and onto your next activity, like a show or something.... complaints!  If you don't enjoy the dining room process, there's always the option to buy the unlimited dining package and go to the specialty restaurants each night instead.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BNL1213 said:

These poor MDR wait staff folks cant catch a break!  If they take too long they get complaints.  If they are efficient and get you fed and onto your next activity, like a show or something.... complaints!  If you don't enjoy the dining room process, there's always the option to buy the unlimited dining package and go to the specialty restaurants each night instead.

Of course there are other options.  The thread is simply about “do you mind it”.  I’m glad to see all the different opinions.  It is a discussion board.  It’s ok to discuss different views.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TYMAN said:

Since I eat Apple Pie ala mode just about every night, I have no problem with this. Only night I change is carrot cake night. Ha! (I do add an extra Grand Marnier Souffle for my son Tyler, who eats four of these)

My newest creation. Stack everything, then smash the top down evenly

20200122_192855.thumb.jpg.3fa4a10ec46199621915caff72358134.jpg

• Like 3

Yes I mind it very much and it happened on Navigator this year in the month of October.  I got my appetizers all at once.  I didn't order dessert at the beginning because most of the time I don't want dessert.  The wait staff did not mind at all. I also asked for savory bites and my waiter told me he didn't know what they were.  I also didn't like prepackaged butter, lack of half and half in a creamer, and a few other minor downgrades.  I absolutely know the waiters are harrowed but that isn't my fault; it is RCL's for doing this to them.

This was all a surprise since, in my last three cruises, I either had CK or Luminae (Celebrity).  But I sure didn't die from it.  And, yes, I know I have other choices but the OP asked and I have answered.

I'm going to see about different vacations after my Oasis cruise this fall.  It just doesn't seem as special to me anymore and I do love the ocean (but not the beach).

• Like 1

When I eat out, if we are getting appetizers, I prefer to order everything at once, especially if out with girlfriends (it takes us forever to order because we are very chatty and rarely stop talking to look at the menu). I never order dessert, but do on cruises, since it’s included, and I don’t feel badly about just taking a bite or 2 (and if I’m with my family, someone will eat it).

6 hours ago, kernow said:

Ever since this started I tell my server on the first night that I want to order my dessert separately after my main. Most are very accommodating and will bring me back the menu to order from, one seemed a bit put out so I just took a pic of the menu at the beginning and told him if I wanted something when the main was cleared. 

I totally do the same!  I am up front with them the first night and state I want to wait till dinner is finished before desert is ordered.  Also, I am extremely specific about ordering and if I want an appetizer as my main meal I will tell them.  I guess I am kind of like “Sally” in When Harry Met Sally!  😜

All things being equal, I’d rather order dessert after I finish my meal, but I understand why they do it, and I’d rather not have to wait a long time between courses, so I don’t mind that they do it that way. 

• Like 1

We experienced the new way in January 19 on Adventure and again in May on Symphony. It doesn't bother me at all. Since my husband and adult son both have food allergies, they typically are asked to order ahead of time, so it's all ordered for them before we enter the dining room for our meal.

I've changed since I started cruising in 2008, why have consternation over something as small as a meal ordering timeline or what is on the table?

@molly361 if our menus were out for the November sailing, I'd know what I was ordering as well. 😉

Since we look at the menu ahead of time, I already know exactly what I want.  I have no problem ordering 2 different things from each course.  If I don't like one, they bring me something else.  I am quite certain if I said I don't know yet, they would be happy to ask me again later in the meal about dessert.  I can't imagine them saying I HAVE to order dessert now!

Last cruise I was honest and told the waiter that the food was bland.  He asked if I liked curry.  I said yes.  Every meal for the rest of the cruise, he brought a second plate of curry just for me even though it was not on the menu.  Second last day the head waiter was apologizing about the food.  I had no idea what he was talking about.  Then I realized it was my first day comment and for the rest of the cruise they were going out of their way to keep me happy.  I wasn't complaining.  Just wanted a bit more flavor in the food!

As for bringing all appetizers at once, I have had the opposite experience.  They bring just one and then stare at me and jump like a hawk to bring a second one and take the empty one away.  I would be happy if they brought all at once.

Only one cruise was the waiter not great.  He wasn't bad.  He had no sense of humor and I had a hard time clicking with him.

If you are not happy with any part of the dining experience, say something.  They will fix it right then and there.

We are just off the Harmony.  I liked ordering everything at once; it seemed to speed things up somewhat.  

It was rather strange that sometimes we received more than one of the appetizer course at the same time.  I wasn't too fond of that, but understand that it is more efficient for the waiters.