Dining..Do you mind having to order everything at once?

Heatherco

I don't mind it at all.  

And like someone else mentioned, if I know I want to pig out on desserts, I'll pare back my apps/entree ordering, or vice versa.  

I'm not so picky that I simply have no clue of what type of food I'll enjoy for dessert until after I've digested my apps and entree. 

And if I end up having room for more, they'll bring me more, and happily.  And likewise if I end up being too full for my dessert, they'll give me a cover for it and wrap up cutlery and a napkin in a fancy little pocket for me to take it back to my room to enjoy later. 

(I wonder how many people get all huffy about ordering "chicken or beef" on their wedding reception RSVPs?)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have never had a problem with this at all, we have always ordered starters and main meal and after we have finished the waiter will come back with the menu for us to order a dessert if we want one. No issue really, just speak to your waiter and they will happily do what you want.

The first time I thought it was odd, but now I know to expect it and don't mind.  To be honest, whether I order the dessert upfront or at the end, I would order something and my choice probably wouldn't change.  It also speeds up the process if say you are ready for dessert (e g. Maybe you are watching a show or something) and you don't need to wait for your server to return to take your order.  I totally get why the take your order upfront.

• Like 1

I don't mind at all.  It helps the wait staff be more efficient.  And, if I need to get to a show, I'm not anxiously waiting for them to show up and take my order.  And, if I want a slower paced experience, I can linger over dinner taking my time to eat each portion of my meal.  The staff are extremely accommodating and will adapt to your speed and desires.  

I'm also one of those people who knows what I want weeks, if not months, in advance.  It's no different than when we visit Disney World and want to eat at specific restaurants because of certain menu items that we love.  If you don't get reservations months in advance, you are out of luck at a lot of venues.

• Like 2

Yes I do mind so here is what I do......

I tell the waiter that I like to go to the Windjammer a bit later to get my own hot coffee and dessert. 

This results in a rather dumbstruck look.

Then believe it or not they keep asking me after every course and when they bring others their desserts.

On every cruise I have taken about halfway through I start to see others from my table walking in as well. It is one way to get my coffee hot and with dessert.  Try it.

What is this need to 'speed up the meal'? 

What is wrong with eating slowly, relaxing over your bottle of wine, then deciding if you want coffee and a pudding.  Sorry but I don't want the rush rush rush.... and indigestion!

I also hate when you get given the bill before you even ask for it in the USA. It is like they are trying to throw you out.  

• Like 3

I will look at the menu before dinner. If I don’t care for the dessert I will order double apps or another main course. If I want something sweet it’s not hard to find it later. But I’ve also found if you want extra they don’t mind if you ask, so if you want dessert later just tell them and they will get it

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 6:18 AM, Heatherco said:

My parents just got off Anthem this last week and while they had a nice time there were some things they did not like and mentioned.

One was the fact that when you go to the MDR they take your order for everything from appetizer to dessert at the same time.  I remember  this from the Freedom two years ago and didn’t like it either.  That is not “dining” to me.  How do I know what I want for dessert before I have my meal?  What if I’m full?

I totally get it is because they are trying to be efficient and feed thousands at once but I do feel like it takes away from the “dining” experience.  Anyone else feel this way?

We will be on Explorer next week and expect this to be the case as well and will just go along with it.  Overall, it’s not a big deal but sometimes the little things all add up to the overall experience.

Just tell the waiter you changed your mind and yo want or don’t want. It is easier for them and speeds it up. It’s not a Big deal

Hi, I like to order my dessert after my main course and have never been denied doing so. However, I hate the mugs now in use after a lovely meal for a huge, transport cafe style, cup of tea or coffee.   My solution: I take my own cup with me and when the wait staff take my order I ask if cups are available.   They never are! Lol. I then produce my cup.   The last cruise on explorer, my other female dining companions liked this idea and each bought a cup when ashore.   Near the end of the cruise the head waiter expressed his concern at this.   Well if they will not give me a decent cup then too bad, I am taking own.    Lol.  Moan over!

Edited by JWILSON2
Misspelling
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Yes I do mind so here is what I do......

I tell the waiter that I like to go to the Windjammer a bit later to get my own hot coffee and dessert. 

This results in a rather dumbstruck look.

Then believe it or not they keep asking me after every course and when they bring others their desserts.

On every cruise I have taken about halfway through I start to see others from my table walking in as well. It is one way to get my coffee hot and with dessert.  Try it.

That would seem to really slow things down.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Sometimes, if it was a long day of alcohol consumption, i actually forget what i ordered.😎

Very true!  Or when you order 3 appetizers  and 2 mains and don’t remember what’s coming out next. I’ve asked to hold off on dessert just in case I’m not hungry.  I do enjoy being able to customize the mains by asking to leave things off the plate.  I hate wasting food and feel like I have to eat it all (unless it’s bad which doesn’t happen very often to us). 

We were on Anthem and ordering everything at once was the least of what bothered me. The service was rushed, couldn’t get a drink refill and even though I ordered coffee with the rest of the order it never came. It was the worst dining experience that I have ever had anywhere land or sea. Fortunately the food was good.

21 hours ago, little britain said:

What is this need to 'speed up the meal'? 

What is wrong with eating slowly, relaxing over your bottle of wine, then deciding if you want coffee and a pudding.  Sorry but I don't want the rush rush rush.... and indigestion!

I also hate when you get given the bill before you even ask for it in the USA. It is like they are trying to throw you out.  

If I’m in a rush I will eat at the buffet. They are so pressed for time to turn tables because if you don’t make a reservation you are waiting on a long line. It’s get them in get them out. It’s certainly not worth dressing up on formal night when they run it worse than a fast food restaurant.

For those of you who think that this system was set up to help the waitstaff you couldn’t be more wrong. It’s set up to speed up the dining process in order to turn tables. The fact that they can turn tables faster means they actually get more work as they are serving more people in a shorter period of time. Those who linger over dinner are doing them a favor. Don’t think they get more time for themselves if they clear the dining room early. They are just assigned to another job.