Freedom AMP- new livery?

kruzerci

Stumbled across this on Instagram today. Hopefully they aren’t planning on expanding the new blue Voyager of the Seas livery to Freedom and future amplifications 🤮, but it looks like they may be preparing it for a new hull color. 

CF80DBA6-C381-46E6-A75C-49034FD36B76.jpeg

I don't know if it's just me but seeing the blue hull makes the ship older to me. I prefer the solid white but if Freedom get's the blue i'm still going on my cruise in October. I'll live with whatever color they decide.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, FlowBroTy said:

I am probably the only one here that likes it!

I like it.  It is also supposed to be the paint that provides less resistance when moving in the water. On that note could they not add a tint to the colour to have the same capabilities but be white?

Light blue or white, I’m still going. 

• Like 3

Hello,

Whilst on the ship you are at least spared the sight of it. Just as Guy de Maupassant, the French writer, lunched every day in the restaurant underneath the Eiffel Tower though he hated the sight of it said "inside the restaurant was one of the few places in Paris where I could sit and not actually see the Tower".

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2020 at 12:51 PM, A&L_Ont said:

I like it.  It is also supposed to be the paint that provides less resistance when moving in the water. On that note could they not add a tint to the colour to have the same capabilities but be white?

Light blue or white, I’m still going. 

No, the paint used above the waterline is vastly different from that used below the waterline.  The "topsides" paint that everyone is commenting on is simply a two part polyurethane or epoxy paint.  The "bottom" paint you are referring to, which is used strictly below the waterline (you can see a partial band of it right at the water on the Voyager pictures above), is a two part polyurethane or epoxy coating that contains a high quantity of Teflon (PTFE) to provide a hard, slippery surface.  While the new blue paint on Voyager's topsides would cost around $50-70/gallon, the bottom paint is around $300-400/gallon.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, icsys said:

The new livery is Rust

E084BBC6-CC53-4342-8AB0-1EC0873AEFDA.jpeg

This is known as "flash" rust, and is caused simply by the humidity in the air on steel that has been blasted to SA2 quality.  This used to be a problem, and was why they blasted a segment of a ship and then coated it right away.  Today's anti-corrosive paints (primers), are formulated to attack this flash rust, convert it to a stable element, and bond it to the steel, so this kind of thing is no longer a problem for today's marine coatings.

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

No, the paint used above the waterline is vastly different from that used below the waterline.  The "topsides" paint that everyone is commenting on is simply a two part polyurethane or epoxy paint.  The "bottom" paint you are referring to, which is used strictly below the waterline (you can see a partial band of it right at the water on the Voyager pictures above), is a two part polyurethane or epoxy coating that contains a high quantity of Teflon (PTFE) to provide a hard, slippery surface.  While the new blue paint on Voyager's topsides would cost around $50-70/gallon, the bottom paint is around $300-400/gallon.

Thanks for the info Chief. In theory they could have kept the white above the water line VS the light blue. Just keeping with the new colour scheme going forward I guess. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

I don't love how the blue looks up close, but in the other photos from farther away its not nearly as bad.

chengkp75 - Thanks for posting that interesting info! I always enjoy reading your comments and thank you for your expertise that you share with everyone here on CC.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Thanks for the info Chief. In theory they could have kept the white above the water line VS the light blue. Just keeping with the new colour scheme going forward I guess. 

Yes, they could have.  Sometimes on older ships it is better to blast down to bare steel and start over with all new coatings (typically two coats of anti-corrosive and two coats of top coat), or sometimes they will just "sand sweep" and take off the outer layer and recoat.  I'm not sure if that is the same blue as Oasis and Quantum, as those blues tend to "disappear" into white in certain lighting, time will tell as more photos of Voyager appear.

• Like 3

It took people a bit of time to notice it on Oasis when she first came out. Throw in some bright sun and reflection from the deep blue ocean it isn’t too noticeable.

It isn’t RC traditional colours but it seems to be that as ships are hitting dry dock and being amplified they are getting the new paint scheme. When you are on board looking out you never notice it. 

• Like 3