Cruise Critic Community
Keith1010

Waterside Food - Better Than Ever

I  am finding the  food at  Waterside to be some of the best cuisine  we  have eaten at Waterside and  the former Crystal Dining Room.  I also felt the same on our May,  2018

Crystal Symphony Cruise.  

This is not to say that  every dish is  a wow  or that every menu  is  stellar but I  would say  on most  nights  the meals have  been stellar  and there has been lots  of choice on the menus.

On the most part we both enjoy the appetizers on  the modern menu.   We find them to have be flavorful and tasty with the  ingredients used,  an  appropriate serving  size and  they make for  a nice presentation.

Take the Poisson Cru appetizer that I had last night.  Yes it is sashimi Tuna but what made it outstanding  was  the way it was marinated and the ingredients.  A unique presentation  as well.

IMG_8643.thumb.jpeg.0e951de78e99bcf421a5e6057ef986cf.jpeg

Likewise we shared a Eggplant Roulade appetizer and  it was very tasty and had a nice presentation.  It is Eggplant that is rolled with Gorgonzola  Cheese (on my  daily thread I mistakenly said Goat Cheese) and  also  came with Walnut and Cassis.

IMG_8647.thumb.jpeg.148fc8b56c15b1e9670091e942096310.jpeg

Anne Marie  had jumbo Shrimp  Cocktail and  what changed this up is the presentation as they now use  new dishes for this item making for a nice presentation.

IMG_8644.thumb.jpeg.5b605866b7899cae782de2dcbc07c201.jpeg

The  seafood entrees have bene very pleasing.  They are  more tasty than  in the past.   Take  salmon.  Rather than just serving one fillet and putting it over some type of sauce they are serving  many of these entrees (salmon , ahi tuna, etc.) with some type of crust as was the case last evening.   We  are finding these items to be tasty and moist and appreciate the presentations.   As  they have done the past couple of  years we  appreciate it not being one large fillet.  Last night was a nice example.  The salmon  was pan seared and  had a black  pepper  cruise apple puree, roasted salsify  and apple gastriche.  

IMG_8648.thumb.jpeg.28c169faed4d659cb2e1c11cb71baf2c.jpeg

Presently the  executive chef is on board and I believe they might be trying  out some new recipes.

Speaking for myself,  I do think that open  dining  has had a very positive impact on the dining experience.  We experienced this for the first time on  Symphony in 2018 when the food was hot and moist and didn't have the feeling  it had been underneath  a heating lamp for ten minutes waiting for food for multiple tables to be served.   And we  saw the positive change on Serenity shortly after its dry-dock  and  again this year.

I really appreciate the  creativity in the dishes along from time-to-time the traditional items.

Keith

We agree on that!

Whilst I didn’t dine there last night I’ve really enjoyed the food in Waterside - except that one night a few days ago where I picked the wrong dishes

I can’t over overstate the fact that they can generally respond so well to dietary requirements and preferences 

It comes up regularly that you can order dishes from previous nights menus with 24 hours notice. That’s not always going to be the case and some of the Modern Menu items require special equipment to prepare them and that’s not always possible every night. So while they will try it’s not guaranteed they can do that . But there is so much choice it should not be a real issue 

We’ve been on Symphony for nearly 3 weeks now. The quality, taste, variety and presentation in all dining venues has been excellent. We all agree that Crystal appears to have upped its game. There have been a few misses, but overall, every meal has been an unqualified hit.

Rob

28 minutes ago, ryndam said:

We’ve been on Symphony for nearly 3 weeks now. The quality, taste, variety and presentation in all dining venues has been excellent. We all agree that Crystal appears to have upped its game. There have been a few misses, but overall, every meal has been an unqualified hit.

Rob

Holiday cruise on Symphony: ditto on Waterside.

We were on Symphony both in April and in July and on Serenity in November, and I have to agree with Keith. 

On Dec 2019 cruise, we noticed the Waterside dining food And presentation were much better than previous cruises.

I wonder if Crystal changed food vendors, or the cooking simply got better in the kitchen among the chefs. Who knows, but, I have to say even the dishes that were not on the menu were excellent as well the hollandaise sauce, the best in a long time. Who ever made the hollandaise sauce, keep that chef, please!

I agree with Keith. I'm not a regular like everyone else, but I've cruised a lot and I think Crystal Waterside is outstanding. Heads above any other line's MDR. Not only in stellar presentation, but also in freshness and quality. I was thrilled with (and looked forward to) every meal, and I've eaten in some great restaurants world wide.  In all honesty, it is one of the many reasons why I have narrowed my cruise lines to Crystal only. So I hope they keep it up. 

I will say I wasn't thrilled with the "modern" canapés in the PH. I'm a very adventurous eater but these all just seemed off somehow.  Not a criticism, just an observation that they didn't compare to the radiance of Waterside.

What were the "modern" canapés?  Just curious.  I don't cruise in the Penthouses so haven't experienced them.  

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
spelling

3 hours ago, oakridger said:

What were the "modern" canapés?  Just curious.  I don't cruise in the Penthouses so haven't experienced them.  

~Nancy

As I recall they were just odd stacked combinations that didn’t seem to work together for me. Nothing memorable. Probably just my taste!

6 minutes ago, Cruise-y said:

As I recall they were just odd stacked combinations that didn’t seem to work together for me. Nothing memorable. Probably just my taste!

i agree

nancy

As to  the modern canapés  they changed things up  last  year  and instead of  providing one canapé they provide multiple ones so you have more  choice

However,  if you don't care for  them just let your Butler know what you like and the Penthouse  Canape  Menu  in your room is  ta  good start for that.

Keith

For those on board our sailing who enjoy fish this is a great area  of the world to be sailing as Crystal has been able to bring on local fish found here.

For example last evening we had a local fish called Wahoo (not Yahoo).  LOL.

We tried this fish last night.  It looks like sword fish when it is cooked and we thought it was delicious.  It was  on  the modern menu.

IMG_8900.thumb.jpeg.3fe3cb89f8e0fde06d0f7fa19a9f6f1e.jpeg

The appetizer I had was not local but another winner.  It was Beet Root & Vodka Cured Salmon.  Another wonderful appetizer which I have had before and also from the Modern Menu.

IMG_8899.thumb.jpeg.3b8f5694bff1a037adf7190c180644b8.jpeg

Keith

Food at Waterside continues to be amazing.  I thought I would share photos about our experience last night when we enjoyed another spectacular meal.

We each had sautéed  seafood appetizers.   It's not  all about the seafood but the items which accompanied it which when eaten with the seafood proved  a great taste and aroma.  Eating the appetizer was similar to enjoying a fine wine as we enjoyed each mouthful.

IMG_8937.thumb.jpeg.0de97a44ae03206d6c2fadab6bddf231.jpeg

We did have a salad from the menu  although I changed  mine  to remove the bacon and to add in mushrooms.  

IMG_8938.thumb.jpeg.8de68ae31a3954d937419d764fa6c181.jpeg

For the entree it was  broiled fresh swordfish for Anne Marie.

1284000995_IMG_89404.thumb.jpeg.2a23c2f81a429d86d13a348232362911.jpeg

A nice portion not  too large and not too small with  a good presentation.

I went with the local fish which was from the modern menu.  It  was fresh  ruby snapper.  It was not only delicious but y you have  to love the presentation with the table spoon and the items on top of it.

IMG_8939.thumb.jpeg.a0db5895a3a9078d8dd64f2503ff69ca.jpeg

Keith

Two additional items from Waterside to mention.

An appetizer  from the menu  last evening which was a  Duo Of Lobster.  Once again  a nice presentation and one to eat slowly to enjoy  every mouthful.

IMG_9026.thumb.jpeg.b2d4e23d1402288e79c0ee247233e8c1.jpeg

This was  on the menu two nights ago when we  were dining  in  Prego.  We asked if we  could have it last night.

It is Fresh South Pacific Achi Tuna.  Fresh and South Pacific caught my eye.

This one  was  cooked well  and what added to the overall taste and flavors were the ingredients.  Often in restaurants it is served plain and this one was not.  

IMG_9027.thumb.jpeg.bb67a14b014cec5ca37403c668158320.jpeg

Keith

We recently completed our first Crystal Ocean cruise (have been on the river ships before) and we were impressed, for the most part, with the food everywhere on the Symphony.  And I would agree that the menus and quality in Waterside are very good.  That said, we found the - except at breakfast when it was slow - service in Waterside to be rushed.  The first few nights we had barely finished one course when the next one was being put on the table, and we were done with a 4 course dinner in under an hour.  Starting with the 3rd night we told our head wait person we were not in a rush.  My other issue is not once did I actually get any food served HOT, not even soups were hot.  Warm yes, hot no.  Given the speed that things come out of the kitchen I was surprised at that.  

Edited by 2SailingNomads
Correct grammar

2SailngNamads, you did right to mention the speed of the meal.  This has rarely happened to us in all of our cruises with Crystal but one time when it did we mentioned it the next day and this corrected this issue.  I would have recommended doing the same with respect to the heat of the food.  Ironically, on our last Symphony cruise in May of 2018 we found the food to be very hot and appreciate this.  Last year on Serenity we did get an entree which was not hot and likewise we mentioned this to the Head Waiter and from that moment forward it was no longer an issue. My recommendation is no matter at sea or on land to bring these types of issues to the attention of the waitstaff team right away.

Best to you.

Keith

In Waterside, when dining as a couple, we find that we need to let the waitstaff know each and every time that we would like to have a break between courses otherwise the food comes out very quickly. So we find it best to mention this every time even if we have the same server.

I agree the food in Waterside has been excellent -- and fast paced (which isn't a problem for us).  There was only one miss -- my wife wasn't happy with the entree last night -- she asked for an alternative and (fast paced!) it was delivered within minutes, meaning our meal pace remained consistent.

An interesting point is she made an initiative to comment on very high service standards at the beginning of the cruise out of LA through the online immediate response form -- and we received a "thank you" call  message in our stateroom for her positive response. Then, from that day, we started getting excellent seating -- it is almost as if we had been flagged for VIP treatment.

My wife has rather demanding standards; seeing her happy undoubtedly makes her more responsive to my suggestion "let's do this again" so we plunked down our $200 deposit to get the shipboard credit -- for a couple of 2022 World Cruise segments.

41 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

In Waterside, when dining as a couple, we find that we need to let the waitstaff know each and every time that we would like to have a break between courses otherwise the food comes out very quickly. So we find it best to mention this every time even if we have the same server.

Yes we had to rinse and repeat even when the same head waiter person.  

Another terrific entree from last evening which I enjoyed at Waterside.

It is called Pompano Fish.  Excellent fish and very flavorful with the ingredients which accompanied it.  This was from the Modern Menu.

IMG_9037.thumb.jpeg.131fceb5ab161973d78aafc8ce7977f9.jpeg

Keith

15 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

Interestingly, following on from my wife’s post above, we ate at Waterside last night, told our server very specifically that we wanted a break between each course, to which she agreed, ordered three courses and each one came out in rapid fire succession. We couldn’t even make a second request for a break because the next course was already at the table just as the previous course plates were being cleared. We were in and out within an hour. We’ll try again in a few days.

I would  speak  with the  head waiter and if at a different table the head waiter  you have and I would speak with them before I order if this has been a problem more than one time on the same voyage.

One time this happened to us at Silk last year.   We sent  the food back.  It  hasn't happened since because we  carefully go through the sequencing of items with them.  I would do the same if this happened to us at Waterside and ensure any food we sent back was not served to us again.  

Keith

Hi  Last cruise on Symphony there was always a long line at 6 pm to get into Waterside.Is this still the case?   Thanks Ed 

23 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I would  speak  with the  head waiter

Agree, we should have and will. We have a very good rapport with our head waiter and will address it the next time there. 

1 hour ago, eby said:

Hi  Last cruise on Symphony there was always a long line at 6 pm to get into Waterside.Is this still the case?   Thanks Ed 

It was a couple of weeks ago, people starting lining up at least 10 minutes before they opened.  I counted one night and there were over 50 people waiting.