Morocco 🇲🇦

JP1320

Although we have sailed on a number of SB cruises we will visit several new ports with the Encore in August 2020 Barcelona to Monte Carlo. Need any and all input for Tangier, Melilla Spanish Morocco and Cartagena, Spain. All other POC’s we have visited. Will spend a few extra days prior in Barca, back end is loaded with Switzerland. Appreciate your valued input.

Joe

😎😎

JP1320,

can only comment on Tangier. Small town, within a (medium length) walk from the port. We took a private tour to see the Cape Spartel, glance across the straits of Gibraltar, and visit the  Caves of Hercules ending with a short guided tour of the town and then walked back to  the ship on our own.

6 hours ago, MJN1 said:

JP1320,

can only comment on Tangier. Small town, within a (medium length) walk from the port. We took a private tour to see the Cape Spartel, glance across the straits of Gibraltar, and visit the  Caves of Hercules ending with a short guided tour of the town and then walked back to  the ship on our own.

Thank you MJN1,

We will be docking in Tangier also. Who did you do your private tour with? How long was the tour did you do the old town walking on your own?

Joe

Based on our experience in 2016, you will find several taxis at the habour gate, who will offer to take you into town and accompany you on foot through the old town to see whatever you would like to see for a reasonable fee. We were taken through the old souk and up to the Sultan's Palace (and Museum) and around the old town. The Palace is pleasant enough, but on the whole there is little, if anything, about Tangier that could ever persuade me to return.

7 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

Based on our experience in 2016, you will find several taxis at the habour gate, who will offer to take you into town and accompany you on foot through the old town to see whatever you would like to see for a reasonable fee. We were taken through the old souk and up to the Sultan's Palace (and Museum) and around the old town. The Palace is pleasant enough, but on the whole there is little, if anything, about Tangier that could ever persuade me to return.

Thank you Flamin_June,

The usual locals trying to make a living, so typical wherever we sail to. We often try this source after I have done my homework on the taxi scenes, or, just go with a private tour. It is looking more like we will use Tangier Excursions with us doing the route. They have been very responsive to my questions and on TA they have a very solid excellent rating.

A lassie from Lancashire? Where about? If I use an acronym you will guess my original home town YNWA.

Joe

😎😎

Well, the football team is doing ok again ....we are from up the road just outside of Preston. However I am not a lassie, though many posters may be under that impression. When I came up with this handle, many years ago, it was on a very hot day in June and I had seen the phrase Flaming June in one of the newspapers - so that was it. It was also a bit of a play on words because people who put provocative or controversial posts on forum's were called flamers (That was 20 years ago - I don't know if the same terms are in common use now). At the time it never occured to me that it might be taken as a girl's name.  It wasn't long, though, before I was made aware the potential for mistaken identity.....

Actualy, it is one of those interesting and sometimes liberating things, that on forums like these it is often the case that one does not know if the poster is male or female. Being a male, I have often assumed that certain posters, here and elsewhere, are men when they are in fact women. Less so the other way round ...

Flaming June is also a captivating painting by Lord Leighton ( North Yorkshire born unfortunately). I thought of using it as my picture, but that would lead to even more confusion 😏

image.png.88e7c63b23d0b1c0e4058aa76f3342ad.png

Edited by Flamin_June
  • Like 1

JP1320,

we joined a fellow CC who had booked with Aziz Benami of "Tangier Private Guide". Here is the outline we got ahead of the tour:

• 9 am (Moroccan time) : Arrival in Tangier

• 9.30 am : Start the sightseeing tour from the Port of Tangier

• 10.30 am : Stop at Cape Spartel, 5 minutes free time for pictures or using facilities

• 10.45 am : Stop for camels either for taking pictures or for a ride

• 11.15 am : Visit of Hercules caves

• 11.45 am : Departure back to the city center for lunch

• 12.15pm -1pm : Lunch (Optional)

• 1 pm : Transfer from the restaurant for the walking tour

• 1.15 pm : Visit of the Kasbah and the Museum

• 1.45 pm : Walking tour in the Medina and the market

• 2.30 pm – 3 pm : Free time for shopping or drinks at the Petit Socco

• 3pm : Departure for the Port of Tangier

• 3.15 pm : Arrival at the Port.

On 2/4/2020 at 6:46 AM, MJN1 said:

JP1320,

we joined a fellow CC who had booked with Aziz Benami of "Tangier Private Guide". Here is the outline we got ahead of the tour:

• 9 am (Moroccan time) : Arrival in Tangier

• 9.30 am : Start the sightseeing tour from the Port of Tangier

• 10.30 am : Stop at Cape Spartel, 5 minutes free time for pictures or using facilities

• 10.45 am : Stop for camels either for taking pictures or for a ride

• 11.15 am : Visit of Hercules caves

• 11.45 am : Departure back to the city center for lunch

• 12.15pm -1pm : Lunch (Optional)

• 1 pm : Transfer from the restaurant for the walking tour

• 1.15 pm : Visit of the Kasbah and the Museum

• 1.45 pm : Walking tour in the Medina and the market

• 2.30 pm – 3 pm : Free time for shopping or drinks at the Petit Socco

• 3pm : Departure for the Port of Tangier

• 3.15 pm : Arrival at the Port.

MJN1, thank you so much for this valuable itinerary. We at least have some ideas and I have reviewed a number of You Tube videos plus the feedback from a possible tour company so now I can ask the questions as to structuring a tour incorporating both your tour and our own choices. I like the idea of getting the furthest POI's done first and then switching to Old Town for a special lunch. Will look forward to seeing Tangier. 

On 2/6/2020 at 12:55 PM, JP1320 said:

MJN1, thank you so much for this valuable itinerary. We at least have some ideas and I have reviewed a number of You Tube videos plus the feedback from a possible tour company so now I can ask the questions as to structuring a tour incorporating both your tour and our own choices. I like the idea of getting the furthest POI's done first and then switching to Old Town for a special lunch. Will look forward to seeing Tangier. 

MJN1,

We have finally booked a private tour with Tangier Excursions. The tour will pretty much mirror image your tour, exception being 09:00 - 16:00. Must admit they have some great reviews on TA and on their website, plus I had requested some specific foods in mind for lunch and they have us accommodated. Even gave me the name of the restaurant. Again, thank you for your much needed input.