Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
Dyncymraeg

Big ships versus small ships

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

If that small ship has sold tours - and, yes, even small ships sell tours - it might not take an hour - but those with priority because of participation in ship sponsored tours will get on tenders before those without.

Maybe you didn't understand it the first time.

The typical shore excursion group size is 15-25.

They stagger the times that ship sponsored shore excursions leave the ship.  

The tenders hold about 50.

Therefore there is ample room for people to get off without waiting for ship sponsored shore excursions to depart.  

When there are only 300 people on the ship to begin with and two tenders each holding 50 people running, it's never going to be a made rush or a long wait.

I've taken three cruises on two small ships on two different lines in two different parts of the world and the experience was the same on all three.

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

Maybe you didn't understand it the first time.

The typical shore excursion group size is 15-25.

They stagger the times that ship sponsored shore excursions leave the ship.  

The tenders hold about 50.

Therefore there is ample room for people to get off without waiting for ship sponsored shore excursions to depart.  

When there are only 300 people on the ship to begin with and two tenders each holding 50 people running, it's never going to be a made rush or a long wait.

I've taken three cruises on two small ships on two different lines in two different parts of the world and the experience was the same on all three.

I did understand it.  what you seem to fail to grasp is the fact that not everyone has the same experience.  I am glad for you that things work out  -- but your "typical" is not universal.

43 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I did understand it.  what you seem to fail to grasp is the fact that not everyone has the same experience.  I am glad for you that things work out  -- but your "typical" is not universal.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has sailed on ships with 350 or less passengers who had to wait more than a few minutes for a tender, or who were made to wait until after all people with ship sponsored excursions departed, even if there was room on the tender.   Has this specifically happened to you?

Maybe it's a terminology issue?

The ship I recently disembarked holds 148 people at full capacity. The tenders each hold 30 people. Most of the snorkel and dive tours left directly from the ship and didn't use tenders at all. Worst case scenario, it would have taken 20 minutes to get everybody tendered to shore - assuming everybody wanted to get off of the ship at the same time. (Which never happens.) Nothing like the lines I've seen on any of the mass market lines I've seen.

I don't consider a ship carrying 1000 "small." 

6 hours ago, ducklite said:

I'd like to hear from anyone who has sailed on ships with 350 or less passengers who had to wait more than a few minutes for a tender, or who were made to wait until after all people with ship sponsored excursions departed, even if there was room on the tender.   Has this specifically happened to you?

Never experienced a wait on my Voyages to Antiquity cruises (~330 pax).  Maybe due to the ship including GOOD shore excursions at no cost -- not just a couple hour walking tour -- they were able to manage tender 'traffic' easily. Not too many passengers needed to be off early to catch a private tour, but as a DIY-er I never had to wait long for a tender whether I wanted to be first off or go ashore later.

9 hours ago, ducklite said:

I just returned from Celebrity Flora. We had  92 on board. There was no wait for our tenders.  Then again, we all were pretty much doing the same thing. 

Excellent cruise and ship, by the way. 

15 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I just returned from Celebrity Flora. We had  92 on board. There was no wait for our tenders.  Then again, we all were pretty much doing the same thing. 

Excellent cruise and ship, by the way. 

I am sure it was great, and I am sure it cost a small fortune 

10 hours ago, George C said:

I am sure it was great, and I am sure it cost a small fortune 

"Cost" is quite subjective.  To some a $20,000 cruise is no big deal.  To others it's not going to be attainable if it were the only vacation they took in their lifetime.

26 minutes ago, ducklite said:

"Cost" is quite subjective.  To some a $20,000 cruise is no big deal.  To others it's not going to be attainable if it were the only vacation they took in their lifetime.

We did look at that ship and it was beautiful, also all inclusive. 

4 hours ago, ducklite said:

There is nothing subjective about a $20,000 cruise. That is saying that it is someone's opinion that is a lot of money. I think you are confusing value vs cost. The value is the subjective part.

5 hours ago, ducklite said:

Cost, when stated in $ is a well-defined, fixed quality: there is nothing subjective about something costing $20,000.   What is completely subjective is the question of whether something is worth the cost charged.

47 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

There is nothing subjective about a $20,000 cruise. That is saying that it is someone's opinion that is a lot of money. I think you are confusing value vs cost. The value is the subjective part.

Actually it becomes subjective because other qualifiers are not present--the length, type of cabin, etc.

13 hours ago, George C said:

We did look at that ship and it was beautiful, also all inclusive. 

It certainly was expensive but in the end, it was one of the best cruises I’ve ever taken, so very much worth it. The service, food, and attention to details surpassed that of luxury lines and for a very small ship, the on board experience was just perfect. 

I really wish Celebrity would expand their expeditionary cruises beyond just the Galapagos because I would be on that ship much more. 

Edited by Cruzaholic41