Coco cay snorkeling on your own?

milton333

When on the Explorer of the Seas in 2013  we stopped at Coco Cay.  We were allowed to snorkel on our own without taking the excursion.  The only requirement  was that our equipment included a flotation vest.   I haven't been able to find out if the same is true since they have upgraded Coco Cay.  Thanks for asking the question.  I hope someone can give us an answer.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 1:54 PM, milton333 said:

Since the cruise line offers snorkeling as an excursion, does anyone know if someone will give you a hard time if you have your own equipment and try to just snorkel a bit on your own? 

We were wondering the same thing. We went before renovations and brought our own equipment. I was a little worried but they let us snorkel. The employee on the beach said  the excursion is basically charging for the equipment and some instructions for non experienced snorklers. It was February and chilly the last time we went and didn’t see hardly any fish because the water was so choppy. In fact we are very experienced snorkeling and I would say that the water that day was some of the hardest I have ever swam in. Let’s hope for warm weather and calm seas on our next visit in April. Excited to see what they have done with the island since we last visited.