Celebrity's Handling of their Millennium Sailing is SHAMEFUL!

BelloMundo

39 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Hate to sound like a Pollyanna, but I knew Celebrity would come through.  They needed a minute to get everything sorted out and patience is key during times of crisis.  I have to say that some other cruise lines, like NCL have yet to follow Celebrity's lead.  Hopefully, they will.  Thank you for posting.

Seriously??? They butchered the itinerary and aren't even offering a partial refund option. What has NCL done (or not done) that is worse? Are they just skipping ports that they cannot visit? This sailing had to change their disembarkation port so they couldn't have done that. And BTW, Celebrity is not visiting Beijing (where we had 2 overnights) on their 2021 or 2022 sailings. So you can't even rebook this identical sailing.

Edited by MisterBill99

11 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Seriously??? They butchered the itinerary and aren't even offering a partial refund option. What has NCL done (or not done) that is worse? Are they just skipping ports that they cannot visit? This sailing had to change their disembarkation port so they couldn't have done that. And BTW, Celebrity is not visiting Beijing (where we had 2 overnights) on their 2021 or 2022 sailings. So you can't even rebook this identical sailing.

I tend to agree. It is (not through anyone's choice of course) a completely different itinerary and a future cruise credit may never be able to be utilised in time, if at all. 

2 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I tend to agree. It is (not through anyone's choice of course) a completely different itinerary and a future cruise credit may never be able to be utilised in time, if at all. 

Plus I have a FCC from the previous sailing that I also have to use! The only good news is that the 3/14 sailing had a major price drop before final payment so I was able to take advantage on it and save $2400 -- which is now $2400 less that I have to worry about using in a FCC.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

I see your point....perhaps you missed mine.  Other lines, such as NCL, have not offered anything to date.  No FCC, no itinerary change, nothing.  While it may be a completely different itinerary, which is what I think the OP who started this thread, was originally after, it's a no win situation and clearly Celebrity will not be able to please everyone.  I do hope you and others are able to arrive at a satisfactory solution either with a new itinerary or on another line.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LUAUBOUND said:

I hate to disappoint you but our CFAR policy is with Travelex which is a better policy than Viking and it excludes epidemics, war, riots and many others.  We spoke to them on the phone for quite some time.  

That is disappointing, to say the least.

Sorry to hear this..

I will have to do more research going forward for CFAR policies...

bon voyage

25 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I see your point....perhaps you missed mine.  Other lines, such as NCL, have not offered anything to date.  No FCC, no itinerary change, nothing.  While it may be a completely different itinerary, which is what I think the OP who started this thread, was originally after, it's a no win situation and clearly Celebrity will not be able to please everyone.  I do hope you and others are able to arrive at a satisfactory solution either with a new itinerary or on another line.

So I am still confused. Is NCL still sailing their original itineraries? Celebrity offered the option to cancel and get the FCC because they materially changed the itineraries.

BTW Holland America does not appear to have offered a cancellation option (although their itineraries seem to be less materially affected), so I guess kudos to Celebrity, somewhat.

And while I am not thrilled about having all of this Celebrity credit, I will still sail them. I would be much happier with the FCC if it could be used on my Galapagos sailing this October. It's one of the exclusions on the form and it seems unnecessary.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LUAUBOUND said:

Hope you realize the CFAR (Cancellation For Any Reason) does not cover epidemics! We cancelled a Viking cruise where we had CFAR but were advised that it does not cover epidemics.  However if we caught the coronavirus and needed to be repatriated home to the US, they would cover all expenses for the repatriation which would be far more than the cancellation of a trip.  Meanwhile cruise ships are being turned away from ports and they have changed port of embarkation and disembarkation and if you booked flights per original itinerary, you get stuck paying change fees.  Totally ridiculous and I’m sure it will come back to bite them!!

I booked my air through X. I just got off the phone with them Their emergency travel team is rebooking flights in order of cruises. He said we should get an email by the end of the week or early next with our new flight info. The will take into consideration days pre/post cruise you already had set as well as the class...premium economy/business/etc. He said there would be no change fees nor would we be charged a difference in airfare. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Hate to sound like a Pollyanna, but I knew Celebrity would come through.  They needed a minute to get everything sorted out and patience is key during times of crisis.  I have to say that some other cruise lines, like NCL have yet to follow Celebrity's lead.  Hopefully, they will.  Thank you for posting.

What did they get right? After all they denied us boarding February 1st in Singapore because our flight came thought Hong Kong. Now out $4000 for flight and hotels. It might be fine for those with future cruises.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, erllje said:

What did they get right? After all they denied us boarding February 1st in Singapore because our flight came thought Hong Kong. Now out $4000 for flight and hotels. It might be fine for those with future cruises.

Your travel insurance does not cover this instance?

X did not offer a FCC?

bon voyage

14 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Your travel insurance does not cover this instance?

X did not offer a FCC?

bon voyage

Our TA said that since we used the flights and hotels insurance will not cover that part. X is giving us a full refund on cruise only, we feel that X should refund our flights since they didn’t notify us before we flew out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, erllje said:

Our TA said that since we used the flights and hotels insurance will not cover that part. X is giving us a full refund on cruise only, we feel that X should refund our flights since they didn’t notify us before we flew out.

I would suggest you calling the insurance company directly, it might be possible that they may consider something....

Also, when did your TA know, they are the ones who needed to contact you on behalf of X, in most instances...

Good luck and bon voyage

2 hours ago, erllje said:

what they got right is protecting a couple thousand people under difficult and never before seen circumstances.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, erllje said:

Also, I would recommend reading through the insurance board here for a few ideas, too. 

Good Luck and Bon voyage. 

On 1/31/2020 at 1:43 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Celebrity published a notification to passengers on the Feb 1 cruise yesterday.   Looks like the itinerary has been changed to protect those traveling.     They are offering a 100% refund or modified itinerary.

image.thumb.png.c5bae34db870101bdf876d3bcc9e0f5f.png

Note: they are offering full future cruise credit, NOT a refund. There are restrictions on how the credit can be used. For instance, I cannot use some of the credit to pay off a Caribbean cruise and use the rest for a second cruise. I have to put it toward an equally expensive trip. To me, this doesn't make sense, since the credit is money I have already paid. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

So, after all, they changed the remaining two itineraries in just a day since I flagged the issue. 

Amen to 40% of this thread foretelling the seemingly insurmountable odds...

3 hours ago, dkjretired said:

what they got right is protecting a couple thousand people under difficult and never before seen circumstances.

Not necessarily, as you can't protect someone from the everyday.

That's where the debate lies.

After all, they don't prohibit anyone from boarding who has been from a country where the flu exists, which is the closest analogue.

On 2/1/2020 at 8:43 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Celebrity published a notification to passengers on the Feb 1 cruise yesterday.   Looks like the itinerary has been changed to protect those traveling.     They are offering a 100% refund or modified itinerary.

image.thumb.png.c5bae34db870101bdf876d3bcc9e0f5f.png

As an aside, interesting that Celebrity refers to Taiwan as part of China, which is pretty much not how the rest of the world sees it.

7 hours ago, Pushka said:

You have up to four years in reality so surely that covers most people.

48 minutes ago, yorky said:

You have up to four years in reality so surely that covers most people.

Four years?? People are saying 2 years where did you read 4. 

I appreciate they can book up to 2 years in advance for a future cruise but the way some have been treated they may never sail with X again.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Four years?? People are saying 2 years where did you read 4. 

I appreciate they can book up to 2 years in advance for a future cruise but the way some have been treated they may never sail with X again.

We have just booked using our future cruise credits. You have 2 years to actually make the booking and given you can book cruises up to 2 years out from the sailing in effect you have 4 years before you have to cruise again.

30 minutes ago, yorky said:

We have just booked using our future cruise credits. You have 2 years to actually make the booking and given you can book cruises up to 2 years out from the sailing in effect you have 4 years before you have to cruise again.

So you were affected by this and have the FCC people are referring to??

11 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

That is disappointing, to say the least.

Sorry to hear this..

I will have to do more research going forward for CFAR policies...

bon voyage

Me too Bo...CFAR seems not to be as useful as I thought,  and of course one can only  buy it shortly after the cruise is booked. If you cancel the cruise before final payment you get your deposit back  but  are out the cost of the insurance . Not sure how it works with non ref deposits?? 

We get our evac and med  ins just before making final payment. For us it is essential

(no medicare or  supp coverage for care outside US for us...and the   reg  X cruise care evac is insuffucient )

Because we are from NY we have to buy our X Cruise Care sep  and we cannot include it  in final cruise costs.  As a result we do not get dbl cruise points on our Royal card  for this purchase and it is not refundable. 

Cruise ins issues used to be much simpler, but  it has helped us out twice over many yrs of cruising so we believe in buying it!  Not sure how it could have helped if we were in any of the situations currently presented by the Corona outbreak.

1 minute ago, hcat said:

Me too Bo...CFAR seems not to be as useful as I thought,  and of course one can only  buy it shortly after the cruise is booked. If you cancel the cruise before final payment you get your deposit back  but  are out the cost of the insurance . Not sure how it works with non ref deposits?? 

We get our evac and med  ins just before making final payment. For us it is essential

(no medicare or  supp coverage for care outside US for us...and the   reg  X cruise care evac is insuffucient )

Because we are from NY we have to buy our X Cruise Care sep  and we cannot include it  in final cruise costs.  As a result we do not get dbl cruise points on our Royal card  for this purchase and it is not refundable. 

Cruise ins issues used to be much simpler, but  it has helped us out twice over many yrs of cruising so we believe in buying it!  Not sure how it could have helped if we were in any of the situations currently presented by the Corona outbreak.

h - you do have a 'residence' outside of NY, correct????  😉

bon voyage

5 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

As an aside, interesting that Celebrity refers to Taiwan as part of China, which is pretty much not how the rest of the world sees it.

Yes, the rest of the world do not see it that way in political terms, yet there is a great deal of 'back and forth' between the two (2) countries or territory and country or ???

This is the reason they are on the list of No Go...

Do you know if there are restrictions between the two (2) in terms of air transportation, currently? Most likely not to a great degree.

bon voyage