Celebrity/Royal - Can't search for cruises for one guest

BDevilCruiser

I've started looking for my next cruise, and I can no longer find the "1 guest" filter on Celebrity or Royal.  Seems I have to check each cruise individually, doing a mock booking.

Anybody else having this problem (ie, is there somewhere I can actually search for one traveler without calling or talking to a TA?  I'd rather do the research myself.)

(There's also the issue of the disappearing "lowest cost" cabin rates once I try to book, and change from 2 to 1 guest.)

I cruise Royal. When I want a studio cabin I filter to the ships only with studio cabins. Takes a quick google search to find the.  Then I just continue searching for the itinerary I want. I find out the pricing by pretending to book. It will always increase the price when switching from 2 to 1 guest  for a studio and any other cabin. All cabins are based on double occupancy, except studio so those are cheaper but still expensive. 

I did luck out this upcoming trip because they found a studio cabin available that wasn’t listed online. 

2 hours ago, BDevilCruiser said:

I've started looking for my next cruise, and I can no longer find the "1 guest" filter on Celebrity or Royal.  Seems I have to check each cruise individually, doing a mock booking.

Anybody else having this problem (ie, is there somewhere I can actually search for one traveler without calling or talking to a TA?  I'd rather do the research myself.)

(There's also the issue of the disappearing "lowest cost" cabin rates once I try to book, and change from 2 to 1 guest.)

Hi, that is the only way I have ever checked on pricing when I sailed with Celebrity. Find the cruises in the month/

itinerary you are looking for and do a mock booking. How many cabins....1, how many people---I change it from

2 to 1, etc...etc.....but that is how I always check on pricing for them.  It always gives the full total

for 1 person.

7 hours ago, BDevilCruiser said:

It's not just you. Celebrity used to have a guest # filter but it disappeared a few months ago. Royal Caribbean and Holland America also force you to go through the booking process to see solo rates. Carnival does not, and of course Norwegian makes it easy.

23 hours ago, coastcat said:

It's not just you. Celebrity used to have a guest # filter but it disappeared a few months ago. Royal Caribbean and Holland America also force you to go through the booking process to see solo rates. Carnival does not, and of course Norwegian makes it easy.

Thank you for confirming what I thought.  I looked on the Celebrity web page for a feedback link, but surprise-surprise, there was none (have to email, it seems.)

While Princess rarely has a single supplement other than 100%, they at least let you search for 1 guest.

I've been contemplating trying RCI, but this is just... wow!  I can't believe a mass-market line is discouraging solos from booking, in a time when even US Customs (which normally has a very backward mindset) pretty much ignored me last time I dealt with them by myself.  Basically, RCI became the way MSC and Costa used to be.  Well, not entirely: they still show available cabins, they just make solo jump through an extra hoop.  Perhaps their IT department wanted to save money by removing a part of the website programming.

Oh well, no big loss.  I don't like RCI's new ships---they're too big!  And their older, smaller ships don't offer anything I'm interested in that I can't find on CCL, which served my solo cruising needs smashingly.  Perhaps the repeated good social experiences I had on CCL, which are far outside the cruise line's control, are making me biased.

Oh, and it's not too difficult to find solo rates without a mock booking: multiply the double occupancy price by 2.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Hi, I guess I never thought of this as an issue...you just change  the person from 2 to 1 and it gives you the price.

I didn't think of it as being discouraged from booking...…..I just change the digit.

Part of the problem, in my opinion, is that you don't know that you're selecting a studio or that one is even available until you get to the page where you enter the traveler info and it shows you what cabin type is being booked, unless you pay the $300 extra to pick your own cabin.  On NCL's site you select the number of travelers when filtering the cruise options and you can actually select a Studio (on ships that have them) as an option, and get to pick your actual Studio cabin with no additional upcharge.

Royal just seems to be hiding the process for solos more than is needed.

I don’t find RCL discouraging at all. It’s very easy to find studio cabins, the problem is they sell out quickly which is why it’s hard to find them. Otherwise I double the price, and assume the discount since they usually do a BOGO50, or just do the booking myself. 

It’s really not that difficult. If you don’t like RCL that’s fine but they aren’t hiding the process. It’s actually quite easy. 

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Part of the problem, in my opinion, is that you don't know that you're selecting a studio or that one is even available until you get to the page where you enter the traveler info and it shows you what cabin type is being booked, unless you pay the $300 extra to pick your own cabin.  On NCL's site you select the number of travelers when filtering the cruise options and you can actually select a Studio (on ships that have them) as an option, and get to pick your actual Studio cabin with no additional upcharge.

Royal just seems to be hiding the process for solos more than is needed.

I don't think of anything as hiding.  I have never sailed NCL but I knew I was going to pay more sailing solo

when I sailed Celebrity. I want to choose my own cabin category and cabin which is very easy to do. 

I have never looked at anything like they were hiding something from me.

15 hours ago, bhsolo said:

It’s really not that difficult

But it certainly could be easier.  Rather than making you go all the way through to the point of entering traveler information just to see if you can even get one of the studio cabins on a particular sailing they could allow you to see them as an option (which would require selecting how many guests when searching for cruises).

Again, NCL's site is SOOO much easier - change the number of guests on the left to 1 and studio cabins (on ships that have them) suddenly have prices and can be chosen right from the beginning, without doing a mock booking all the way to entry of information.

7 hours ago, airlink diva said:

Can't speak on Royal,but with Celebrity,  never an issue on changing to one cruiser ro see pricing

The issue is that I do not believe you can search for one guest; I don’t want to have to do a mock booking each time to find the actual price and what cabins are available.  My last try, the lowest price cabin disappeared when I changed the mock booking to one guest.  It reappeared when I went back to two.

other cruise lines allow it, why not Celebrity and Royal (it appears they use the same general web system.)

43 minutes ago, BDevilCruiser said:

The issue is that I do not believe you can search for one guest; I don’t want to have to do a mock booking each time to find the actual price and what cabins are available.  My last try, the lowest price cabin disappeared when I changed the mock booking to one guest.  It reappeared when I went back to two.

other cruise lines allow it, why not Celebrity and Royal (it appears they use the same general web system.)

Precisely.  I want to look at the sailings based on the price for a solo cruiser.  Simply doubling the fare doesn't help me.

Those cruise lines use similar systems because Celebrity is owned by RCCL.

It's SOOO much easier to select a date and cabin when it's laid out like this, rather than having to do a mock booking.  This is right on the very first page when looking at cruises on NCL, just expanding the "show all dates and pricing" portion for a particular cruise.

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 10.15.38 PM.png

To the OP, you're not crazy.  Celebrity used to have a "# of guests" filter.  I was hoping its disappearance was just one of their notorious website snafus. 

After you selected the dates, destination, and port in the quick search filters and hit "Find Cruises", the full list of available itineraries appeared.  From there, you could select additional filters for packages or cruise only, # of days, ships, and (until recently) the number of guests.  It was nice because if you chose 1 guest, the fares would be displayed with the single supplement.  I miss that feature.  Now, I just assume I should double it.  There are probably some families and groups who book 3-4 to a room that miss it too!  

I just end up using https://www.cruiseplum.com Gives the pricing including taxes/fees/prepaid gratuities which makes it much nicer at a quick glance. For lines like Royal that have studio cabins, but don't have them in a separate category like NCL, it will still show you the least expensive option available (which is usually the studio) for each category.

Edited by joshgates

On 2/5/2020 at 1:31 PM, Buckeye94 said:

To the OP, you're not crazy.  Celebrity used to have a "# of guests" filter.  I was hoping its disappearance was just one of their notorious website snafus. 

Well, the jury's still about about that, but at least not regarding the solo filter option! 😉

• Haha 1