Can or fountain for soda during Diamond happy hour

does the bars serve Canned or fountain coke during the diamond happy hour  on all ships or is it different from ship to ship.  I am sailing on Serenade in August and want to know if i can use the 3 drink vouchers to get unopened cans that i can store in the stateroom fridge

I usually can get a can to go in the Diamond Lounge but occasionally the server will pop open the can and say it is against the rules to give me a sealed can. God forbid they give me a free can of coke to drink later. I don’t do this very often - maybe once a cruise so it’s not like I’m stockpiling cans of soda. And I bring my own bottles of Pepsi One onboard as that is my preferred soda. 

When I want a can for later I’ve learned now to ask the person if I can get a closed can to go. If they say no, I try another bar. 

• Like 1

Most of my experiences are as reported above. Some open the can some do not, some bring a fountain drink.

However, there was one bar on one ship where, when I  asked for ginger beer, the bar tender asked me if I would like all my 3 drinks at the same time. I was surprised but Ok. He gave 3 unopened cans. Every evening on my way back from the spa I stopped there and he asked the same question.

4 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

However, there was one bar on one ship where, when I  asked for ginger beer, the bar tender asked me if I would like all my 3 drinks at the same time. I was surprised but Ok. He gave 3 unopened cans. Every evening on my way back from the spa I stopped there and he asked the same question.

And those are the bar tenders I enjoy tipping!!!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, sergeant655 said:

does the bars serve Canned or fountain coke during the diamond happy hour  on all ships or is it different from ship to ship.  I am sailing on Serenade in August and want to know if i can use the 3 drink vouchers to get unopened cans that i can store in the stateroom fridge

Just of 3 weeks on Serenade.  I would say the DL overflow would give you unopened cans.  But this would also be dependent on bartender.  I saw people who had no problem stockpiling unopened cans of beer and soda.

20 hours ago, sergeant655 said:

We used to get 2 cans at a time and bring them to our cabin and store them in the fridge.  Used them for lunch.  On our recent Anthem cruise, the bar in the Music Hall gave me 2, but one needed to be open to drink.  Depending on the bartender as other times we were able to get them unopened.  Same in the DL.  By the way, the Anthem's MDR is one of the ships that lets you use the 3 diamond coupon there.

Ps.  tip them accordingly and they won't forget you.😉

Edited by nelblu

I understand the desire to get an unopened can to take back to the cabin to have it later with/as a snack or take to a restaurant to drink with a meal.  I have done this.

But like everything else, there are abusers, and this leads RC to tell its bartenders to open the cans to guarantee that the soda will be consumed on board.

What kind of abusers, you ask?

I am NOT making up this example.

12 night cruise.  A couple.  Each one uses all three vouchers every evening to get cans of soda.  6 cans per night.  12 nights.  72 cans of soda.  THEY TAKE THEM ALL HOME.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I understand the desire to get an unopened can to take back to the cabin to have it later with/as a snack or take to a restaurant to drink with a meal.  I have done this.

But like everything else, there are abusers, and this leads RC to tell its bartenders to open the cans to guarantee that the soda will be consumed on board.

12 night cruise.  A couple.  Each one uses all three vouchers every evening to get cans of soda.  6 cans per night.  12 nights.  72 cans of soda.  THEY TAKE THEM ALL HOME.

Merion Mom...we usually love your post...but this one, not so much.

Who would bring home 72 cans of soda?

Can you imagine the weight of those cans?

How do you take it home?

I can't imagine having all those soda in your cabin...

You cannot be serious!

Please tell me you are kidding.

Edit: Or they are driving home?

Edited by bonsai3s
add

3 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

How do you take it home?

You cannot be serious!

Yes, of course they are driving home!  Apparently they take an empty duffle bag with them for this specific purpose.  😮 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, nelblu said:

We used to get 2 cans at a time and bring them to our cabin and store them in the fridge.  Used them for lunch.  On our recent Anthem cruise, the bar in the Music Hall gave me 2, but one needed to be open to drink.  Depending on the bartender as other times we were able to get them unopened.  Same in the DL.  By the way, the Anthem's MDR is one of the ships that lets you use the 3 diamond coupon there.

Ps.  tip them accordingly and they won't forget you.😉

They all do.  🙂 

22 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

You're kidding. 72 cans, you need a separate bag and pay for the extra bag which nullifies the taking of the 72 cans.  

23 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Thanks for the great idea of how I can maximize my $18 drink packages this year😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Some people just amaze me.  Two 36 pack of sodas from Costco will run you $20.  If you can't afford a $20 maybe they should not spend thousands cruising.  I have to fly home so would not be doing this.  Also tip a $1 a drink so it would cost more than buying the soda outright and save the hassles.  

• Like 2

Just now, frank808 said:

Some people just amaze me.  Two 36 pack of sodas from Costco will run you $20.  If you can't afford a $20 maybe they should not spend thousands cruising.  I have to fly home so would not be doing this.  Also tip a $1 a drink so it would cost more than buying the soda outright and save the hassles.  

Pathetic, isn't it, even though they come by car.  One suspects that they don't tip, doesn't one?  😉 

38 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

How do you take it home?

You cannot be serious!

Every yr I've carried multiple 6 paks Diet Dew 16.9oz Bottles across Country and then onto ship. Packed in my checked Luggage while flying, First Class Air so Luggage was free. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

A few years ago disembarking Radiance in Honolulu we saw someone getting off with 2 lg shopping bags with individual size bags of Potato Chips. And people wonder why availability of an item or a benefit changes.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

19 hours ago, thrifty99 said:

And those are the bar tenders I enjoy tipping!!!

Yes he was tipped very well. But I had a very hard time consuming even one can a day and had to leave most of them in the cabin on disembarkation. A couple I gave away to a cruise critic member who was feeling quite sea sick on the journey back.

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Pathetic, isn't it, even though they come by car.  One suspects that they don't tip, doesn't one?  😉 

Yes I have a feeling they aren't tipping $1 a can or order.  But to spend thousands to save $20 is incomprehensible to me.  A lot of work and you have the chance that a can of soda can always pop and make a mess.

Brings to my mind the saying of penny smart but pound foolish.

5 hours ago, frank808 said:

But to spend thousands to save $20 is incomprehensible to me.  A lot of work and you have the chance that a can of soda can always pop and make a mess.

This reminds me of my first cruise back in 1988. I was dating my now wife and her uncle paid for a family reunion for about 30 of us (he included the 2 of us who were dating his nieces). I was assigned to room with my future brother in law.

He did not want to spend $$ on beers on the ship so he had packed a 12 pack of bottles in his suitcase. I don’t know if it was allowed at the time or if the crew missed the bottles but one of them opened in his suitcase.  A lot of his clothes were soaked in beer.

He would not pay to have his clothes laundered so he hung them around the cabin. I spent the first couple of days in a room that smelled like a brewery. 

Edited by thrifty99