Thinking of a Christmas cruise

TT1992

We've gone the week before a couple of times. MUCH less expensive.

Food not really any different, other than more expensive in the speciality restaurants.  They don't need to discount anything during the holidays.  We did a holiday cruise once.  Not signing up for another one for the forseeable future.

A cruise over Christmas is probably the most expensive time of the year to cruise.  Unless there are schedule constraints, such as school schedules, I would avoid cruising over Christmas.  Early December and the first week in January are typically much less expensive.

• Like 2

Have not done a cruise the actual week of Christmas. Did one the week of Thanksgiving and really enjoyed it. I do not recall any special events or activities but they(Celebrity) did have a turkey dinner on the menu for Thanksgiving day - it was delicious (more so because I did not have to prepare/cook/clean).

Have done a few cruises between Thanksgiving and Christmas - one of my favorite times to cruise. The ship(s) are decorated for the holidays. There is a happy & festive vibe.

5 hours ago, TT1992 said:

Is it worth the extra money in your opinion to go at Christmas.

Are the activities or food any different?

Thank you

We have done 2 Christmas cruises including this past Christmas and we have the next two Christmas's booked as well.  We do it because that's the only time I can get our family of 4 (2 adult kids) together.  

The ship is decorated very nicely, but I don't think it is worth extra expense.  It also appears that Celebrity has raised the specialty restaurant charge for the Christmas cruises to $70 pp with Christmas Eve and NYE itself raised to $119 pp.  Christmas Eve and NYE have special menus to help justify the $119 price, but the other nights are the normal specialty restaurant menu.  

The menu in the MDR is not different for the holidays although they lobster night is done on NYE.  

Our family has a good time on the Christmas cruises but that is because we brought each other, not because of anything extra special that Celebrity does.

6603B438-9F75-440F-94BB-986EBA3B5354.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

We usually cruise over the holidays due to scheduling and it's very expensive.  Double or more for the same cruise and itinerary than in the weeks before and after.  There is honestly nothing more to justify the increase.  They do this because they know that there are alot out there that their schedules aren't flexible enough to sail at other times of the year.  It's a big time for people to be off work and kids and college students out of school.  Also a time for big groups and families.

The ships are decorated nicely.  They will do something for the kids on Christmas.  They will do something special in the Oceanview.  NYE they will do a balloon drop and pool deck party.  I have seen more activities offered and sometimes not.  Not worth the increase, IMO.

Perfect example is DH and I have a cruise booked on the Equinox for Dec. 9 for 12 nights.  My FIL is watching our teen so we can cruise and have a vacation alone together.  If for some reason he can't in the end, we will do the following sailing for Dec. 21 which is the same exact itinerary and nights.  Dec. 9 we have a C2 cabin booked at a C3 price for $3993 total with taxes and port fees including all four perks.  We also have $750 OBC.  The following week the current pricing is $8500 for 3 in the lowest veranda category and only includes one perk.  Ouch!  Keeping our fingers crossed the cruise before the holiday is a go.

Edited by Want2Cruise 701

We cruise at Christmas 2 out of 3 years.  The reason for this is that it is easier to take off of work.  The activities and onboard celebrations are very nice.  Would I take off on Christmas if I was retired and I could choose my dates no.  If I was limited on what dates I could take off definitely yes.

Both the airfare and the cruises are more expensive this time of year.

During the 1st or 2nd week of December the cruise fares are rather low.  

In the specialty restaurants they will up the charges for the Christmas dinner.

Edited by NMTraveller

I have cruised the past 2 Christmas's and have a 3rd booked for this year. Like anything, if you watch sales closely, its the same price as what I've paid for spring break. OUr last cruise only had 20% kids.

I will say, that you also have to be creative with flying as THAT is expensive. This year, we are doing PR. the price of the flights are very expensive right now.

4 hours ago, TT1992 said:

Thank you for your replies, they are very helpful.

I think I will go in early Jan instead.

Good decision, or go in December with a cruise that ends before 12/24.  The ship will still be decorated.  The activities nearly the same, far less people as it will be mostly couples (kids aren't off for the holidays yet) and it will cost FAR LESS, FAR LESS than the same cruise over Christmas/New Years.  Just not worth it to us to spend that much more and not receive anything more than the same cruise the week before!!!

On 1/31/2020 at 10:45 PM, Want2Cruise 701 said:

Dec. 9 we have a C2 cabin booked at a C3 price for $3993 total with taxes and port fees including all four perks.  We also have $750 OBC.  The following week the current pricing is $8500 for 3 in the lowest veranda category and only includes one perk.  Ouch!  Keeping our fingers crossed the cruise before the holiday is a go.

Ouch is right!  Fingers crossed Dec 9 works for you.  

On 2/1/2020 at 10:37 AM, cluso said:

Christmas cruise, one and done.  Just too many unsupervised children. 

I was on Silhouette at xmas once and celebrity had to place TWO security guards regularly at either entrance to the hideaway due to all the kids.....poor security guards!

1 minute ago, Firepath said:

What about a week or two after Christmas? How long do they keep the decorations up?

I've been on holiday cruises that include both xmas and new years on the same sailing.  I seem to recall that xmas decorations were removed right after new years, before the end of that cruise.

• Like 1

We just spent Christmas and New Year's on board Solstice. 

By the time we disembarked on Jan 4. Some of the Christmas decorations were still up.

Edited by mahdnc