Transpacific in May Tokyo-Vancouver BC: what can I expect?

I'm booked already, but I am curious as to what I can expect?  I know the Bering Sea can be a wildcard.  I love sea days, and the cold doesn't bother me.  The journey is Yokohama-Hakodate-Petropavlosk-Vancouver BC.  Packed full of glorious sea days!

I did this cruise last year.
Tokyo weather was sunny but cool.
It snowed in Hakodate 2 days before we arrived. The good news was the snow was gone and the Cherry Blossoms were in full bloom. The problem was it was Golden Week and lots of people. This year Golden week is before the cruise leaves.
Very sunny day in Hakodate and very nice.

The sail up to Russia was nice and sunny and the viewing of the snow covered mountains and volcano's was scenic.

Petropavlosk was sunny but cool to cold depending on the wind. There was snow still on the ground. Now the snow was black because it was covered in ash from the nearby Volcano's. 

Coming across the Bearing Sea was cold and sunny with temps near 0 c for two days. The seas were not that bad.

The weather got better as we got closer to Vancouver Island. We had great weather in Victoria but that port is not happening this year.

1 hour ago, Seacruise said:

I did this cruise last year.
Tokyo weather was sunny but cool.
It snowed in Hakodate 2 days before we arrived. The good news was the snow was gone and the Cherry Blossoms were in full bloom. The problem was it was Golden Week and lots of people. This year Golden week is before the cruise leaves.
Very sunny day in Hakodate and very nice.

The sail up to Russia was nice and sunny and the viewing of the snow covered mountains and volcano's was scenic.

Petropavlosk was sunny but cool to cold depending on the wind. There was snow still on the ground. Now the snow was black because it was covered in ash from the nearby Volcano's. 

Coming across the Bearing Sea was cold and sunny with temps near 0 c for two days. The seas were not that bad.

The weather got better as we got closer to Vancouver Island. We had great weather in Victoria but that port is not happening this year.

Exactly what I had hoped to get!  Thank you so much for replying. I’ll bring warm clothes!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Last year (Spring), we went eastbound on Westerdam. While at the ocean crossing, the Captain decided "to give more sleep to the crew", he changed the clock forward at noon everyday. While crossing the Dateline, he changed the clock once at 2:00 a.m., then once again at noon on the same day. This was a weak excuse because deckhands had to mop the same amount of space, cabin attendants had to make the same number of rooms, cooks had to cook the same amount of meals, dishwashers, laundry staff had to work the same amount of load, waiters and bar staff had to serve the same number of passengers.  Perhaps only the staff worked by the hours could benefit. That would be the absolute minority of the crew. Many passengers didn't like that idea. We have crossed the oceans many times both ways. This was the first time we had the clock changed at noon.

On 2/22/2020 at 6:33 AM, Floridiana said:

Have you checked whether this cruise is going to happen in May? I have been following cruises in Asia, and several lines are pulling out their ships including the transpacific routes to Japan.

I don't think any of us know what will happen next year.  Even if they pull them now, it doesn't mean they won't ferry them over.  I was supposed to be on the Millie in May, same itinerary (except no stop in Victoria) and we thought "they have to get the ship back to the US for Alaska...well, they got the ship back without passengers alright, but everything was obviously canceled.  

I don't think we will truly know anything until early Spring 2021

1 hour ago, stag said:

Last year (Spring), we went eastbound on Westerdam. While at the ocean crossing, the Captain decided "to give more sleep to the crew", he changed the clock forward at noon everyday. While crossing the Dateline, he changed the clock once at 2:00 a.m., then once again at noon on the same day. This was a weak excuse because deckhands had to mop the same amount of space, cabin attendants had to make the same number of rooms, cooks had to cook the same amount of meals, dishwashers, laundry staff had to work the same amount of load, waiters and bar staff had to serve the same number of passengers.  Perhaps only the staff worked by the hours could benefit. That would be the absolute minority of the crew. Many passengers didn't like that idea. We have crossed the oceans many times both ways. This was the first time we had the clock changed at noon.

While this may have been your first experience, changing Cloxs at Noon is used by a number of Masters.

While the scope of work doesn't change with Cloxs, moving ahead at Noon rather than 02:00 simplifies compliance with the hours of work requirements of MLC 2006. The majority of the crew on a cruise ship work some form of day work, as opposed to sea watches or graveyards.

When Cloxs are moved ahead repeatedly, the majority of the crew loose 1 hour of their time-off, which enhances non-compliance with MLC 2006. If this puts them below the minimum time-off, they must be given additional time off. Officers & Ratings on sea watches are not affected regardless of when the Cloxs move, as Eastbound each watch works 20 mins less on 1 watch and Westbound they work 20 mins extra.

Processing the Dateline change at Noon would introduce additional risks in the ship's operation, so I would also have completed that change at 02:00, as it has no affect on the pax and most crew, as it is primarily an administrative change in the logbook.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

While this may have been your first experience, changing Cloxs at Noon is used by a number of Masters.

I have experienced this as well.  For a "first timer" experiencing the change, it does seem odd.  But, when it happens on another voyage, it really seems like "well, it's to be expected".  

• Like 1

I'm going on my first trans-pac (hopefully) in the spring.  I'll be curious which method they use on Celebrity.  Maybe the first few days of losing 1 hour at night would be okay, but might feel like you are always trying to catch up.  Certainly by the time you get to 6 or 7 hours, it might grow tiresome...literally!

55 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have experienced this as well.  For a "first timer" experiencing the change, it does seem odd.  But, when it happens on another voyage, it really seems like "well, it's to be expected".  

So true, and it also helps when you comprehend why it is being done.😀

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, nyc2pdx said:

I'm going on my first trans-pac (hopefully) in the spring.  I'll be curious which method they use on Celebrity.  Maybe the first few days of losing 1 hour at night would be okay, but might feel like you are always trying to catch up.  Certainly by the time you get to 6 or 7 hours, it might grow tiresome...literally!

Unfortunately, it isn't determined by cruise line, it is normally at the discretion of the ship's Master.

Yes, Eastbound steering about 090 T at over 20 kts, the repeated cloxs become very tiring, even when you work 20 mins less. 🙁