Purchasing Jewelry at the Ports of Call

14 hours ago, Colorado Babe said:

It is gone.  They don't have it anymore.  I had to send them a copy of the appraisal of my old ring as well as all the receipts from where I purchased the new diamond and they are going to replace it.  They want me to get the new diamond appraised by my jeweler afterwards to show they are making this right.  I hope so. 

Very sorry about your original diamond. But happy for you that this is getting resolved.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Has anyone gone to another jeweler while  while still in port to have the purchase appraised? Seems like it's too late or just a hassle to wait until you get home.

In my experience only appraisals from US jewelry are accepted for insurance. The ones given at Caribbean island jewelers are worthless  

• Like 1

This is great information!  I will never shop at any of the stores listed on the cruise ship maps.  Two weeks ago,  my friends and I shopped at a jeweler in St. Maarten that was recommended by a friend.  This was the first and only time I have ever purchased a ring in the Caribbean.   Will promptly have it appraised to see if that appraisal matches the jewelers.   Thank you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

In my experience only appraisals from US jewelry are accepted for insurance. The ones given at Caribbean island jewelers are worthless  

I wasn't considering insurance. I was inquiring more about knowing if the stones are natural or lab created.  

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Has anyone gone to another jeweler while  while still in port to have the purchase appraised? Seems like it's too late or just a hassle to wait until you get home.

They appraise differently in the ports. It is important to use a Jeweler in the U.S. to do the appraisal.  Homeowner's insurance will not accept appraisal's from the Caribbean.  

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

If jewelers on islands are dishonest how do you know local appraisers aren't in cahoots with them?

Once jeweler aboard ship offered to inspect an alexandrite ring dw  purchased ashore.  He liked the stone but didn't offer an estimated value.

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I wasn't considering insurance. I was inquiring more about knowing if the stones are natural or lab created.  

I was at my jeweller yesterday and inquired about the lab created diamonds. They have a very expensive machine that can determine whether a stone is a genuine diamond or lab created. 

I was told that the naked eye can be fooled into thinking that the lab created stones are genuine. Therefore, they bought the machine to ensure that mistakes are not made. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

If jewelers on islands are dishonest how do you know local appraisers aren't in cahoots with them?

Once jeweler aboard ship offered to inspect an alexandrite ring dw  purchased ashore.  He liked the stone but didn't offer an estimated value.

That's what I was thinking when I asked the question. Just wanted to see if someone else thought the same. This thread just reinforces why I don't make jewelry purchases in the Caribbean and the IFFY jewelry  on the ship is crap. I purchased a piece for my wife and it broke. Fortunately I purchased it at Macy's and they took it back. 

21 hours ago, Chip and Dale said:

I was at my jeweller yesterday and inquired about the lab created diamonds. They have a very expensive machine that can determine whether a stone is a genuine diamond or lab created. 

I was told that the naked eye can be fooled into thinking that the lab created stones are genuine. Therefore, they bought the machine to ensure that mistakes are not made. 

Lab created diamonds have inscriptions in them with serial number. Very easy to identify under a microscope.

On 2/1/2020 at 12:00 PM, vettegal99 said:

So sorry to hear this happened to you,  For 15+ years we have dealt with only one Jeweler in St Thomas.  In fact, we were there last week.  US appraisals have always come out higher than what we paid and US jeweler told me we had very good quality stones.

On 2/1/2020 at 12:59 PM, smakl said:

going to St Thomas in March, if you don't mind, I'd love to know which jeweler.

I would love to know who in St. Thomas you deal with. We used Imperial Jewelers a couple of years ago for a new wedding set based on a couple of recommendations and had a great experience...

We had a appraiser who appraised my Effy diamond say he had seen horrible diamonds from diamonds international. Usually they weren’t what was sold to them. My Effy diamond was exactly what they said. Good experience! But good advice, you got to be careful. 

On 2/4/2020 at 7:05 AM, waterbug123 said:

Hopefully you would have done this anyway, even if they hadn't encouraged it.  (Just to make sure, and of course, so that it can be insured.)

I always get all of my jewelry appraised.  My homeowner's insurance won't cover it with out an appraisal.  

I saved my mom from diamonds international....to make a long story short...she wanted to upgrade her 5ct tennis bracelet for a 8 or 10ct.  The amount they quoted her and almost “got”her was absurd for what the quality of stones were etc AND she was to give them  her bracelet.  They were visibly and verbally angry that I walked in just in time.  

On 2/1/2020 at 1:13 PM, Justalone said:

Is Diamond International reputable?

I got a ring from Diamonds International that appraised at home for almost $1,000 more than I paid'

Also, we were on a cruise in Jan. (not RCCL) They actually announced several times to be aware that St. Kitts have NO laws regarding selling fake jewelry.   Did not even look at any there.