FIRST CROSSING

Lois R

Hello my friends......question about my first crossing coming up in April:classic_biggrin:

I am sure many of you have taken (probably multiple) TA crossings over

the years.

We have 8 sea days in a row.....do they offer more activities/demos/etc...

during the day than a usual, shorter cruise? Just curious...….I can read

of course but just wondering about the offerings...….this will be on THE WIND.

And do you find the spring crossings a fairly smooth ride?

Thanks for any and all tips!:classic_smile:

Lois I've done several crossings and loved all of them.   Yes, the ride can sometimes be bumpy to say the least, but no worries.

As far as activities -- guest lecturers - enrichment lecturers - morning and afternoon (in my experience)  A great variety of experts on varied topics - world politics - my favorite  THE ALMIGHTY COD (overview of the large role played by dried cod and the evolution of humanity) -  movie star gossip and history - cooking - something for everyone.

The old standbys:  Trivia -- putting -- etc -- and the usual specials.

You won't be bored -- crossings are my favorite

Hope you get more input.   Glad to be of some help. 

Enjoy it !!

Dusa aka Mary Ann

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply:classic_smile:......I never get seasick....except when I sailed last month...…..it was quite a ROUGH

ride...….I was up at least 2 or 3 nights....didn't get sick per se, but definitely uncomfortable.  Previously, I have

sailed to the Caribbean at least 12 times over the years.....(if not more) and many of them in January.....never

had rough seas before this cruise:classic_angry:.....and it was on the WIND too...…..I am going with a positive attitude

but certainly hoping I will be able to sleep at night:classic_blink:

• Like 1

It may seem kinda strange but I don't remember anything special to keep you occupied. It's just like any other Sea Day. Although I do remember people sitting in areas each day reading books, sitting in the library and a lot of guests having very long lunches in the main dining room. Felt very relaxed and crew was also in relax mode... 

TTS was on the sailing a year previous to yours and I know several who continued on from the previous cruise I was on... their crossing was an "experience". I met up with several of the crew a month or so latter and yes, confirmed it was not for the feint hearted...... BUT ...... they took the northern route across the pond and yours is southern so fingers crossed it will be a whole lot different. Hope so anyway as we are on the Moons maiden West to East crossing in 2021

I too am wondering on "things to do" as one or two days relaxing is very different to 6 in a row! Weather is the key I think. Being able to sit out on deck in the sun makes or breaks I can imagine.

2 hours ago, les37b said:

TTS was on the sailing a year previous to yours and I know several who continued on from the previous cruise I was on... their crossing was an "experience". I met up with several of the crew a month or so latter and yes, confirmed it was not for the feint hearted...... BUT ...... they took the northern route across the pond and yours is southern so fingers crossed it will be a whole lot different. Hope so anyway as we are on the Moons maiden West to East crossing in 2021

I too am wondering on "things to do" as one or two days relaxing is very different to 6 in a row! Weather is the key I think. Being able to sit out on deck in the sun makes or breaks I can imagine.

Good morning...…..oh my......this is almost scaring me.  I am not faint hearted but maybe I need to get some Bonine

to be safe. Not sure what the difference in the ocean is when you refer to the northern and southern.....it is all the

Atlantic.....is the area near Barcelona----around Spain smoother than other parts? Don't mean to sound ignorant

about it.

14 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning...…..oh my......this is almost scaring me.  I am not faint hearted but maybe I need to get some Bonine

to be safe. Not sure what the difference in the ocean is when you refer to the northern and southern.....it is all the

Atlantic.....is the area near Barcelona----around Spain smoother than other parts? Don't mean to sound ignorant

about it.

The crossing to the North ended in London and crossed over from Canada so understandably more prone to weather fronts with influences  from the Artic (and winter only just ended.)

Southern Crossing potentially can be affected badly by Hurricane season, but you are outside that so should be fine.

But as you know, nothing is certain. The crossing I mentioned from last year was a particularly bad one.  I’ve never done a TA but have one booked for next year on the route you are taking and genuinely unconcerned.

My bigger fear is feeling stir crazy if the sun isn’t out! If it is, the pool deck is all I’d need. 

Edited by les37b

Ahhhh…….thanks for the explanation.:classic_smile:  I  appreciate it very much. It will be what it will be......my cabin is down on

deck 5 and near mid ship so that should help.

Lois, I had a quick look to see if I could find anything. This thread seems to replicate what I'd said...... And had an amusing anecdote that the Titanic TA was in April.... but obviously the Northern Route. I know they saw Icebergs too on that crossing I mentioned. I dont think you'll see those from FLL to Barcelona!

7 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Ahhhh…….thanks for the explanation.:classic_smile:  I  appreciate it very much. It will be what it will be......my cabin is down on

deck 5 and near mid ship so that should help.

Anything Midship and low in rough seas will help. The thread I mentioned above had several Glass like seas. Its a big sea and lots of different weather patterns crossed. Generally, things should be swell. (Pun intended) As mentioned. I've got one booked for next March on the Moon and not bothered in the slightest. (Tempting fate I know!)

11 minutes ago, les37b said:

Lois, I had a quick look to see if I could find anything. This thread seems to replicate what I'd said...... And had an amusing anecdote that the Titanic TA was in April.... but obviously the Northern Route. I know they saw Icebergs too on that crossing I mentioned. I dont think you'll see those from FLL to Barcelona!

Hi Les, looks like this goes back 2 years......the op started in 2017 and the cruise was 2018.  As you mentioned,

looks like it can be smooth or not so much.

We have made several (10+) crossings and have never had really rough seas.  Like most 2 week cruises you will probably have a couple of days when there could be some “rocking around” but nothing too bad.  We have been east to west, west to east and both northern and southern routes, we have cruised in April, June, September, October and November so I think we have plenty of experience.  That being said, we love the crossings with the wonderful sea days!  We have also done 3 transpacific crossings with similar results.

We do prefer the crossings in the fall from Europe to the US because the time changes allow for twenty five hour days instead of twenty three hour days leaving us on home time when we arrive.  Either way this is the best way to travel!!!

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the reply.  I appreciate it.  Since I just retired, the timing is of no real issue to me now:classic_biggrin:. And I got

an awesome deal from SS on the flight back home......Business class for only 550.00:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Lois

I have done a lot of crossings. The southern crossings are usually less rough when compared to the northern crossings.

IMO we are dealing with some climate change issues but I am not a meteorologist.

I suggest you speak with your Doc and ask about the patch.

Being seasick is the pits.

The sea days are just wonderful. 

Enjoy the ocean without end!

If I could go I would be there 100%.

Hi Spins,  thanks for your input:classic_biggrin:...I have a regular Dr's appt next week...….(nothing to do with radiation) but

a normal physical...….I will ask him about it.  Not even sure how the patch works.

Patch is scopalamine.

You stick it behind your ear. It's small and round like a bandaid.

But you must make sure you can have it medically.

The patch works for several days. 

You need to put it on before rough weather.

Ask the doc.

Don't over think the crossing.

You will have an amazing time.

Edited by spinnaker2

OK.....I will not think too much:classic_biggrin: LOL  I did know it goes behind the ear. I just did not know what is in it to help

prevent the sea sickness.

Anyway.……..I plan on having a great trip:classic_biggrin:

13 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Of course I totally agree 😀

That's awesome. I'm trying not to spit out my coffee.

Lois, we saw lots of patches on our recent Antarctica trip. We just bring some pills and take them if things get rough. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 3:50 PM, Lois R said:

Thanks for the reply:classic_smile:......I never get seasick....except when I sailed last month...…..it was quite a ROUGH

ride...….I was up at least 2 or 3 nights....didn't get sick per se, but definitely uncomfortable.  Previously, I have

sailed to the Caribbean at least 12 times over the years.....(if not more) and many of them in January.....never

had rough seas before this cruise:classic_angry:.....and it was on the WIND too...…..I am going with a positive attitude

but certainly hoping I will be able to sleep at night:classic_blink:

Was  on the same voyage.  We don't got sick or woozy with rough seas we, but  had to bypass the Bahamas. It was not nearly as bad as the crossing of N Atlantic last fall. Only time I got sick was on a troop ship crossing the NA in Feb back in the day. I think it compared to crossing Drakes Passage. Maybe that's why the price is more competitive?

50 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

Was  on the same voyage.  We don't got sick or woozy with rough seas we, but  had to bypass the Bahamas. It was not nearly as bad as the crossing of N Atlantic last fall. Only time I got sick was on a troop ship crossing the NA in Feb back in the day. I think it compared to crossing Drakes Passage. Maybe that's why the price is more competitive?

You and I were on the same cruise? Jan 16tjh? I heard the cruise before ours was way worse and the passengers

quite rude to the staff about it..:classic_sad:  how in the world is it their fault????