Any recommended restaurants while in Alaska ports?

donnasworld

We are on a 14 day Alaska cruise on Oceania that will have late stays in several ports. My wife and I enjoy trying restaurants that offer a nice ambiance and good food while on a cruise. A good view would be a plus. It does not have to be a fancy restaurant. Since we have excursions during the day we are looking at evening dining options.  The ports where we will have late departures are Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway.

If your particular cruise stops in Victoria we have enjoyed eating dinner at La Belle Patate on Esquimalt Road a couple times. Their specialty is poutine from Montreal - and the owner (Matti) is a true French speaking Quebecker.  They also have fantastic burgers and Montreal "Steamies" (hotdogs).  La Belle is not in the regular tourist area of Victoria but about a 10 minute cab ride from Government Street - they will call your a return cab as one isn't likely to happen by.  It's definitely NOT fancy, but the food is AWESOME!  Another rare item is Spruce Beer (not alcoholic) that tastes like a Christmas tree smells. It's a small neighborhood spot that has locals picking up something to take home - there's only one large communal table inside and a few stools along the window counter plus a couple small tables on the sidewalk out front.  We love finding these cool little places when we travel and can't wait for our next stop in Victoria.  I give La Belle Patate two thumbs up!

40911270023_bc07431168_b.jpg

34000069318_06bd645a60_b.jpg

34000073168_91348691c1_b.jpg

27618751282_523ff7a468_b.jpg

Edited by SuperCrewBear

Thank you Super Crew Bear. I appreciate the suggestion but we will not be visiting Victoria. We sail out of Vancouver.

Kristy Misty 14: I will certainly consider your recommendation. Some of the best dining we have had have been on the more simple side as far as appearance goes.

Paula_ MacFan: I had looked at the Fish House and was considering it.

I really enjoyed visiting Alaska Crepe in Ketchikan. The food's awesome!!! I still remember the taste of their turkey... And btw there are some veggie dishes💚 The stuff is polite and very nice, so if I go back to Alaska I definitely visit this place again!

11 hours ago, donnasworld said:

Thank you Super Crew Bear. I appreciate the suggestion but we will not be visiting Victoria. We sail out of Vancouver.

There's also a La Belle Patate in Vancouver - and if it's this sort of casual-but-tasty stuff you're after we have one of the biggest Food Truck scenes around, and Japadog makes possibly the tastiest hotdogs you will ever consume (personally I always go for the Kurobuta pork Terimayo). We also have the world's only taco chain with a Michelin-star winning executive chef...

Ahhh -- food -- one of my favorite topics!

In Ketchikan our "go to" restaurant is Annabelle's.  Three types of chowder and all wonderful.

Juneau we usually head to what we call "The Hanger" but the real name is mentioned in the above post.  Incredible fish and chips.  Another option is Twisted Fish.  And while I know this sentiment is controversial for some, in my opinion Tracy's Crab Shack is over rated.

In Skagway, in the past, we headed to the Skagway Brewing Company.  We were there last August and didn't think it was quite as good as in the past.  Part of the issue may have been the server, who while being very affable, didn't seem to know what he was doing.  In addition to a food order my husband ordered one of their beers and a glass of water.  In addition to my food I also ordered a glass of water, a glass of wine and one of their brewed rootbeers.  We were all speaking North American English as a primary language, but those two glasses of water and the fact I wanted both one glass of wine and one non-alcoholic house brewed rootbeer seemed to cause great confusion for the guy.  And for anyone who is curious, that rootbeer was excellent.

I understand that our OP isn't going to Victoria, but for those reading this thread our "go to" place is the Bard and Banker Pub on Government Street.  

The last time I checked all of these establishments have menus on their websites.

Ava79: Thank you. I would never have thought about crepes in Alaska.

Suzanne123: That sounds like a good place for lunch after our hiking excursion. I think I will have the butternut squash wrap.

Martincath: We will be arriving in Vancouver late in the evening and one of the Japadog locations is only a three minute walk from our hotel. The problem with eating there may be choosing which hotdog to select. They have so many choices!

Eaglecw: The Hangar on the Wharf has a good menu and the prices are very reasonable for Alaska. The view seems very nice as well.

Northern Aurora: The Skagway restaurant is on our list for their beer but not sure about eating there. I believe they also have a BBQ restaurant. Since my wife is from the south and loves BBQ there is a good chance we will eat there.

I appreciate all of your recommendations and will be visiting some of the restaurants mentioned.

I know it wasn't in my original post but we will be in Sitka for a couple of days after our cruise ends before flying home. Any suggestions for dining in Sitka?

4 hours ago, donnasworld said:

I know it wasn't in my original post but we will be in Sitka for a couple of days after our cruise ends before flying home. Any suggestions for dining in Sitka?

In Sitka consider the Bayview Pub.  Excellent casual food in a casual atmosphere.  And in 2018 they even had a tannat on the wine list.

6 hours ago, donnasworld said:

Northern Aurora: The Skagway restaurant is on our list for their beer but not sure about eating there. I believe they also have a BBQ restaurant. Since my wife is from the south and loves BBQ there is a good chance we will eat there.

If your making a beer list make sure to try the Spruce Tip Ale at the Skagway Brewing Co.  It was amazing! (we did not eat here, just drank)

• Like 1

We had a nice lunch and a great view from Timberline Restaurant at the top of Mount Roberts Tramway while in port Juneau. In Ketchikan we had a scrumptious lunch at Annabelle's Famous Keg and Chowder House. Both of these places were somewhat busy due to sharing the pier with the 5,000 passenger Ovation of the Seas.

For Juneau, definitely go to Salt: https://www.saltalaska.com/. Fresh ingredients superbly cooked. Great cocktails. A bit pricey (but hey, food in AK is generally more expensive than it is in the lower 48).  Service is friendly but can be slow.  Their menu varies a bit, but if you see the Ginger Salmon on the menu -- go for it!

Second the spruce tip beer in Skagway.  

If you're in Anchorage, Bridge Seafood had some great food - arguably some of the best seafood we had in AK.

We also enjoyed Alaska Fish House in Ketchikan.

Caveat on above, we did AK in summer of 2017 so it's been a while now.

Do some research on the cruise line food options.  We sailed Princess and they served crab legs and beautiful alaskan salmon in the MDR.  In fact, the day we were in Juneau and ended up passing on Tracy's Crab Shack because of the long lines is the night they served AK crab legs in the MDR.  Princess also had at least one "local" dish on the MDR menu every night for a taste of AK right on the ship.

• Like 1

Northern Aurora: The Bayview Pub had caught my interest from what I read on TripAdvisor. We most likely will check it out.

Kristy Misty 14: The Spruce Tip Ale was what originally caught my eye when hearing about the SBC. I am glad to see that you endorse this beer and will definitely try it while visiting Skagway.

Masterdrago: Thank you for your suggestions for Juneau and Ketchikan. The Timberline in particular looks like a good option.

Disneyochem: I am not very fond of Thai food but I appreciate your suggestion.

The Second Sister: Salt is on my short list in Juneau. I had seen the menu and the ginger salmon was the selection that most interested me. 

jb008: Yet another vote for Spruce Tip beer! Thank you for suggesting a restaurant in Anchorage I will check into it. We will not be spending a lot of time in Anchorage and some of that time is already reserved for visiting the Moose's Tooth Pizza which in case some of you are not acquainted with is a truly epic and one of a kind pizza.

I am very grateful to all of you for being so generous with your time and helping us out. We are off to Australia tomorrow so thank you in advance for anyone who continues to expand this thread.

• Like 1

Not a restaurant per se but on the pier in Ketchikan there is an outdoor tent with kettle corn and caramel corn. It is constantly made right there. The caramel corn is amazing. We always buy a large bag to take back to the ship with us.

It is down the end of the pier. As you get off the ship (if berthed in town) it will be on your right down the pier. On Front Street near Spruce Mill Street.