Perfect Day At Cococay-Harmony 2-1-20

Ptroxx

6 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

I would bring a small speaker for south beach.  You can hear in the video I took at south beach that you couldn’t hear the music.  But all the pool areas and food areas had good music going and even a guy playing live music.   

Awesome, thanks for the info!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

This makes me insanely happy. We have a daughter with cerebral palsy and typically avoid anything beach related because a regular wheelchair is impossible to push on a sandy beach. For us, a simple thing like this makes a WORLD of difference. Now to convince my husband that we should cruise with the kids and stop at Coco Cay!

They also have shuttles running all over the island to make it easier for people 

the walk really is t too bad either.  I have issues with my feet and was able to venture around easily.   I think you guys would have no problems.   

• Like 1

Just now, Ptroxx said:

They also have shuttles running all over the island to make it easier for people 

the walk really is t too bad either.  I have issues with my feet and was able to venture around easily.   I think you guys would have no problems.   

IMG_5135.MOV

Thank you! Our daughter uses a WC and can walk with forearm crutches, so we typically transfer her in and out of a pool, but being able to get ON the beach, relax in a cabana or on a lounger and read for a couple of hours is also right up her alley. Oh the possibilities....! 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Thank you! Our daughter uses a WC and can walk with forearm crutches, so we typically transfer her in and out of a pool, but being able to get ON the beach, relax in a cabana or on a lounger and read for a couple of hours is also right up her alley. Oh the possibilities....! 🙂

Our friend also can use forearm crutches. And she did everything on the island and on the ship.    Even went on the slides.  
she also used the flow rider on the ship. I missed it.  But was told she had a blast and did real well     
she was hitting all the slides with no issues.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

I apologize if this is a silly question, but is it clear which areas are included in the day v. an upcharge? Coco Cay is one of our stops and I was surprised to see how many areas were a hefty upcharge in the cruise planner.

The only place I wasn't able to walk around was the over water cabanas.  When I went to try and walk on the dock leading to the cabanas I had a worker come up to me and asked for my pass or to please leave the area.  But I walked all over the beach area , in front of the over water cabanas , beach cabanas and chill.  
there reserved signs with cruises names on the beds and other beach cabanas but nothing stopping you from walking around the areas.  
there were tons of loungers and umbrellas available with one ship only in port. 

I walk to the very end of south beach with no problems. All around the snorkel areas. You name it. 

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 2

I have a question - we had reserved a beach bed on South Beach, but today in my cruise planner, it was changed to Breezy Bay at Chill Island.  From the map posted here, it looks like there are overwater cabanas in that area as well as the new ones at the Beach Club - is that accurate?  And if so, would you say the beach beds were in a good location?

thanks much,

KC

• Like 1

Here’s a few better pictures 

not sure I understand your question.  
but I noticed more kids in the chill island area 

south beach beds were  quiet and relaxing.  
there’s no over the water cabanas by chill island.  
hope this helps. 

83C3338A-6C4A-4957-9065-01434E657585.jpeg

CF7F5459-2573-40BD-A222-A1DF42F6760F.jpeg

4FB8858C-2C0E-43AF-A694-FB170790E1CF.jpeg

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

Thanks for all the pics. Going there soon. Is it just me or those neon green water slides coming off the cabanas look very....something!  I wonder if they look like that from all angles or just the one pictured here.

32 minutes ago, grouchomarx said:

Thanks for all the pics. Going there soon. Is it just me or those neon green water slides coming off the cabanas look very....something!  I wonder if they look like that from all angles or just the one pictured here.

Kinda looks like your profile pic in color.  Lol. 

67D27B8B-5235-49BD-84D8-B07FD85FEAE3.png

The previously listed South Beach beach beds are now at Breezy Bay at Chill Island up at the top of the map below the left section of over the water cabanas - although your pictures showed them more to the left near the watersports. The other set still at Chill Island bottom left of the map.daybeds.thumb.jpg.2983224e0d7dfcba992366aac021c4c0.jpg

Edited by twins_to_alaska

3 hours ago, sisocialworker said:

do the floating cabanas have numbers?  which cabana seems best, for us an end one gives most privacy..thanks

Not sure wasn’t allowed out to them.    

11 hours ago, sisocialworker said:

do the floating cabanas have numbers?  which cabana seems best, for us an end one gives most privacy..thanks

They do have numbers. 1-20, left to right facing out from the shore. They seem to angle them so you're not looking straight into someone else's cabana, but I would also want an end unit. From other reports, you cannot request a particular cabana (though I imagine that depends on who you talk to and whether or not you have access to a genie). There is another forum with some great pictures - google "vow renewal on harmony royal caribbean" and check out the fifth page of the topic.

• Thanks 1

We were there the 20th; yes, it started out as a wonderful day but within an hour or so a storm swept in and first it sprinkled, then rained, then rained hard.  After a fairly miserable hour or so, including eating at the very crowded lunch area, (because it was kind of covered) we finally gave up and walked back to the ship, arriving fully drenched.

Shuttles were few and far between.  I realize the rain isn't RCL's fault, but it sure ruined our day.  I wondered if the people who rented beach beds, cabanas, etc. were just out their money as even they wouldn't have been very usable.

12 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We were there the 20th; yes, it started out as a wonderful day but within an hour or so a storm swept in and first it sprinkled, then rained, then rained hard.  After a fairly miserable hour or so, including eating at the very crowded lunch area, (because it was kind of covered) we finally gave up and walked back to the ship, arriving fully drenched.

Shuttles were few and far between.  I realize the rain isn't RCL's fault, but it sure ruined our day.  I wondered if the people who rented beach beds, cabanas, etc. were just out their money as even they wouldn't have been very usable.

Was there another ship also on the island?   With one ship the island felt empty with 6000 cruisers.    
we had overcast skies with possible ran from the Florida storm.  But it only sprinkled a tinny bit.   Hardly felt it. 
as for the shuttles.  They were all over the island seemed like an awesome service.
and again with one ship the buffet area was simple no waiting and all the food I tried was awesome (tacos,chicken,brownie,chocolate chip cookie,watermelon,ice cream cone).   

There was one more ship there.  The reason the buffet area was so crowded (I assume, never having been there before) was because it was raining so hard and many people were trying to stay dry under the covered buffet area.

We at first tried to eat and wait it out--long lines for the taco station--then when the rain lessened, tried to stay under the umbrellas at our beach chairs until it started raining harder.  We couldn't find a shuttle so ended up walking all the way back to the ship in a pouring rain.  

The brownie was the best!

I would have expected more shuttles given the weather--saw one, which we missed being too far away.

Apologies if this is an obvious question, but are there free-to-use lounge chairs on South Beach / Chill Island in addition to the pricy day bed and cabana rentals? You mentioned that you can still enter these areas without a rental - are there beach chairs to use here or is it meant to be a pay-only beach?

On 2/3/2020 at 8:42 PM, twins_to_alaska said:

The previously listed South Beach beach beds are now at Breezy Bay at Chill Island up at the top of the map below the left section of over the water cabanas - although your pictures showed them more to the left near the watersports. The other set still at Chill Island bottom left of the map.daybeds.thumb.jpg.2983224e0d7dfcba992366aac021c4c0.jpg

I purchased the South Beach day bed and if above description is correct, they are now at Breezy Bay Chill Island?  So there are 2 sets of day bed rentals - one at Chill island and Breezy Bay? In my app, it is still described as South Beach Bay Bed Full Day Rental. It does say meeting time at 8:30 but meeting location is "check back later". I understand the island has been and may still be under construction, however, I paid for the daybed at South Beach for a little more secluded beach area. If they are moving items to different areas, they should email the consumers so that they are aware. That seems a little shady.

Can someone confirm the location of the SB bed location?  If at Chill Island, I will cancel, but if at Breezy Bay, we will keep our rental.

Edited by LoveTheSoul

On 2/3/2020 at 7:14 AM, TwinMamainMN said:

This makes me insanely happy. We have a daughter with cerebral palsy and typically avoid anything beach related because a regular wheelchair is impossible to push on a sandy beach. For us, a simple thing like this makes a WORLD of difference. Now to convince my husband that we should cruise with the kids and stop at Coco Cay!

We've got a toddler and specifically booked a 5-night cruise on Independence in September that only stops at Coco Cay and Labadee for a similar reason -- the ease of accessing the beach with lots of paved sidewalks, bathrooms, food and drink options (free!) and chairs/umbrellas (free!), all while being close to the ship in case it isn't a good day for her. A typical cruise with non-private islands poses a bunch of logistical nightmares for even something as simple as a beach day because many beaches worth going to are not walkable from ports.  That particular cruise itinerary will hopefully meet our needs, and may meet yours as well given that Labadee also has the same beach wheelchairs available to you.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Canadian Cruiser98 said:

Apologies if this is an obvious question, but are there free-to-use lounge chairs on South Beach / Chill Island in addition to the pricy day bed and cabana rentals? You mentioned that you can still enter these areas without a rental - are there beach chairs to use here or is it meant to be a pay-only beach?

I'm not really sure of the names of the areas, but when we were there with two ships, including a 'big' one, there were beach chairs and umbrellas available for free.  You might have to walk around a little to find the chairs you need together, or move some, but we had no problem for the two of us.