ADDITIONAL Tips/Gratuities - How much do you give and for who?

ghstudio

27 minutes ago, yorky said:

I’ve honestly never heard of a local custom on a cruise ship. The cruise line make it perfectly plain that the auto grants are to cover tips, I’ve never seen them described as the “ basic minimum”. Yes people can pay extra if they so wish but again in 25 years of cruising I’ve never known people discuss the level these extras should be, it’s a personal and private choice.

Yes it is a personal and private choice, but through discussions like this on these boards people are able to learn about the differing norms of other countries. Not all cultures are inherently tippers, which would have a bearing on one's perspective on this subject, IMO. 

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, yorky said:

I think the thread is a bit daft.

Which is fine, as everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you feel that way, why do you continue to participate in the discussions? Rather illogical if this is such a daft thread.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Which is fine, as everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you feel that way, why do you continue to participate in the discussions? Rather illogical if this is such a daft thread.

Because as in life in general everyone still has the right to give an alternative view. Surely asking someone to stop posting on it is denying that opinion you state is fine ? We have many threads on here where the op is slated yet posters still give an alternative view even if they think the ops original point is daft, that’s what forums are all about.

Edited by yorky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, yorky said:

Because as in life in general everyone still has the right to give an alternative view. Surely asking someone to stop posting on it is denying that opinion you state is fine ?

No one is asking you to stop posting, and I personally welcome alternative perspectives. But with you having declared the thread daft, continuing to contribute to it seems equally daft.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, mafig said:

I found this thread very helpful.  

Thank you to the OP for starting it.

🤩🤩🥰🥰

Hear Hear. And I think the discussion has been very respectful on all sides and totally cognisant of different cultures and wages agreements in their country. 

I don’t think my specific question has been answered? In Med cruises - USD or Euro? As an Aussie the later would be much easier for me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sunonfire said:

I always take a picture of their name tags to properly identify them. This way I know I have the correct name (and spelling) and job title even if they don’t hand out business cards. It definitely helps me when completing the survey after the cruise.

Hopefully positively though. I’d have to say that to them. 

Do people leave let’s say, “developmental“ feedback on these forms?

2 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Hear Hear. And I think the discussion has been very respectful on all sides and totally cognisant of different cultures and wages agreements in their country. 

I don’t think my specific question has been answered? In Med cruises - USD or Euro? As an Aussie the later would be much easier for me. 

I would venture to say whichever currency is easy for you.

Bon voyage

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Whatever currency is easier for you would be greatly appreciated by the crew member, US$ or Euro.  They can get it converted and put into their shipboard account if they want something different.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Oville said:

I’m interested what your thoughts are regarding tipping and how you thought this would help new cruisers.  Tipping is a very personal thing and people do what they think is right for them and those who serve them.  There are people who stay in high end suites and others that save just to go on a cruise every few years or so.  

Also, we Americans are used to tipping, it isn’t necessarily common in other countries.

As a ‘new to Celebrity,’ ‘only cruised once before,’ American who tries to tip well for good service, I am THRILLED this thread was started and found it very helpful!  I have been using searches to find a conversation on this topic for more than a week. 

Of course it is a personal choice, but reading from others what their thinking is helps me to solidify my plan.  Thanks to all who have shared.  You have helped me immensely!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

In addition to $20s and $10s for end-of-cruise tipping, I bring along a wad of $1s and $5s each cruise for room service delivery and the Cafe al Bacio servers.  I normally wind up with the same breakfast room service person for an entire cruise that way.  Win-win for both of us - the young lady on my last TA would always make sure my tray was right, even when kitchen made a mistake.  By the third day, I quit giving her $1s and gave her $10 every third day plus a $20 on the last delivery morning.  She was absolutely charming.  Coffee beverages are included in my captains club level and I spend a ridiculously large amount of time in Cafe al Bacio, so there are usually 2/3 servers who get to know me and I them.  I tip them $5 at a time but not every time, then $10 at the end, sometimes more.  One barista took me under her wing when I had the shipboard crud, and whatever it was she gave me, it (cold/cough) cleared up faster than ever before/since.  She'd also have my double cappuccino sitting on the counter by the time I got there from the elevator.  She got a $40 tip at the end. 

I've enjoyed reading this thread.  It's fun to tip people who are sort of behind the scenes.  I'm definitely going to do a better job about writing a mid-cruise attaboy/girl for my asst waiters going forward, too.

Edited by goofysmom99
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We always seem to find our bar; which seems to be the martini bar on celebrity. We tip a minimum of $100 for the week if service is just ok. If we find one specific bar tender to go out of his/her way, we will separate tips. Min $50 for the week. Always give cabin steward $20 min extra. 

3 hours ago, yorky said:

I’ve honestly never heard of a local custom on a cruise ship. The cruise line make it perfectly plain that the auto grants are to cover tips, I’ve never seen them described as the “ basic minimum”. Yes people can pay extra if they so wish but again in 25 years of cruising I’ve never known people discuss the level these extras should be, it’s a personal and private choice.

The number of tipping questions on Cruise Cruise alone make it pretty clear that first time cruisers have questions about what the auto-grats cover and whether/how much they should tip additionally. Cruise lines further confuse this issue by making the auto-grats removable - making them compulsory and calling them  "service charges" or "hotel/resort fees" would put a lot of questions to rest and allow people to feel more comfortable choosing their tips according to their own custom/inclination.

Discussions regarding how much and who to tip are common on Cruise Critic and as evidenced by the responses on this thread, are helpful to many cruisers, both first timers and veterans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We use select dining so rarely have the same waiters.  We are also very light drinkers, so don't frequent bars  often.  We do however enjoy the Elite Happy hour and tip about $5 per evening to waiters and appetizer servers and the same if we go to the elite breakfast.  As Elite+, we have free coffees at Al Bachio, so tip $1-2 on each order.   I also tip washroom attendants - I don't think this is one of the greatest jobs on a ship.  I would never consider removing auto gratuities, but don't tip much more.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Yes it is a personal and private choice, but through discussions like this on these boards people are able to learn about the differing norms of other countries. Not all cultures are inherently tippers, which would have a bearing on one's perspective on this subject, IMO. 

I have always believed tipping is a personal matter adjusted by the level of services rendered.  This thread, however, is totally appropriate as it gives those who are unsure about amounts and conditions some idea of the range.  The intent is  to inform those who are seeking ideas, understanding and perspective.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pushka said:

Do people leave let’s say, “developmental“ feedback on these forms?

Sometimes, but we find it is more useful to respond immediately If there is a situation where a crew member could use some “constructive criticism”. We ask to speak to the appropriate manager on board and convey our thoughts, leaving it up to them to handle the situation. They have always been grateful that we took the time to handle the situation this way.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Buckeye94 said:

If you want to tip someone in a venue that charges (bartenders, Cafe Bacio, sommelier in MDR), you can ask for a charge slip. If you're on a drink package, they can still print a zero charge slip so you can add a tip that will go against any OBC in your accoun

Oh wow, interesting.  I have never heard this.  However, this wouldn't be a direct tip to a particular person, right?  (It would go to the tip 'pool')?

11 hours ago, maggieq said:

We always seem to find our bar; which seems to be the martini bar on celebrity. We tip a minimum of $100 for the week if service is just ok. If we find one specific bar tender to go out of his/her way, we will separate tips. Min $50 for the week. Always give cabin steward $20 min extra. 

I am totally confused as to why you would tip a minimum of $100 for service that is just OK !!  Surely a good, or great service should be expected and already covered by the 20% charged.

But as previously stated, tipping is an individual preference. I understand extra tipping for exceptional service going above and beyond. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, laslomas said:

I am totally confused as to why you would tip a minimum of $100 for service that is just OK !!  Surely a good, or great service should be expected and already covered by the 20% charged.

But as previously stated, tipping is an individual preference. I understand extra tipping for exceptional service going above and beyond. 

l - it is just how some people prefer to do it.

My spouse is the same way with bartenders and room attendants, to my chagrin from time to time, alas I keep quiet and keep a bucket close at hand just in case, but I never question it as it happens at home too... not just on cruises. Generosity of Spirit to include discretionary spending. There is no correct or incorrect as far as this goes, IMO or do you not think so? The reason, may I inquire?

We sometimes 'feel/believe' that something more is due just because we have pre-paid the gratuities/service charges in advance and not at the time of service.

We sometimes 'know' that some of the crew/workers aboard these ships deserve to be rewarded more based on our understanding of how the wage structure is.

Those who do this, do it out of a sense of helping. They do it at home as well as on vacation, so it is not usually a 'one off' situation, to be sure.

Many who do, do it without thinking about it because they understand how fortunate they are to have this discretionary income to spend and not to show off or otherwise display 'how much money they have', IME... yes there will be a few who take the opposite approach and that is fine, to a great degree.

There are some who believe that the 20% to be paid is generally not enough, overall and it is their right to supplement this as they see fit. Some of us know there will be a number of passengers who will not pay the service charge for any reason and we look to make up for them, to some degree.

Is it a correct approach, of course, is it sensible, not to everyone. Need everyone do this, of course not, it is individual preference and custom and desire.

We do respect your approach.... and we know that everyone who takes a cruise cannot always do what they do in terms of paying 'extra' and more often than not, they do not worry about it. It is not a shaming action, just personal feel good action.

Thank you and bon voyage

• Like 2

I'm thinking that these responses are probably not a reliable "guide" to additional tipping amounts.

Many of those  who chooses to add additional tips do so based on merit - not as a routine.

Those same people, decide how much additional to give in relation to the quality of the service received.

Say you tip nothing, or up to $100 based on service, is very different from saying you tip every single time, X amount,  just because.

Those who tip smaller amounts are probably not going to chime in when faced with the amounts listed in some of these posts.

We do routinely tip extra when we feel service warrants it. In theory, those with whom we have contact onboard  are always able to get extra tips from us for exceptional service. So I guess that is not considered a norm since the amount varies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, sippican said:

I'm thinking that these responses are probably not a reliable "guide" to additional tipping amounts.

Many of those  who chooses to add additional tips do so based on merit - not as a routine.

Those same people, decide how much additional to give in relation to the quality of the service received.

Say you tip nothing, or up to $100 based on service, is very different from saying you tip every single time, X amount,  just because.

Those who tip smaller amounts are probably not going to chime in when faced with the amounts listed in some of these posts.

We do routinely tip extra when we feel service warrants it. In theory, those with whom we have contact onboard  are always able to get extra tips from us for exceptional service. So I guess that is not considered a norm since the amount varies.

s - the responses here are not really meant to be considered the overall 'norm' for tipping extra, IMO, as opposed to gaining an idea as to the range and for each of us to decide (or not) what we consider to be reasonable based on the responses.

As such, some posters indicated that they tip bathroom attendants and bar backs, while it has crossed my mind to do so, I will now consider moving my 'extra' tip funds around to include these individuals...

As always, one should ONLY tip extra when or if they believe it is warranted and in the amount or % they believe is correct OR if they believe in doing so and nothing more.

Thank you for your thoughts and input on this topic.

bon voyage

• Like 2

I usually give $20 to the room attendant when he comes in to introduce himself, we have a couple of special requests that we need done.  I also give him another tip on the second to last day if the service has been good. 

I also give the restaurant people an extra tip the first day as well as a couple of times during the trip, definitely including the Maitre D' , who helps out with my wife's special menu needs due to allergies every night.

This is the best money spent because no matter what restaurant we go to, including the buffet, he seems to always have made arrangements for her allergies or we run into him an he points what she can and cannot eat.  

• Thanks 1

I usually give $20 to the room attendant when he comes in to introduce himself, we have a couple of special requests that we need done.  I also give him another tip on the second to last day if the service has been good. 

I also give the restaurant people an extra tip the first day as well as a couple of times during the trip, definitely including the Maitre D' , who helps out with my wife's special menu needs due to allergies every night.

This is the best money spent because no matter what restaurant we go to, including the buffet, he seems to always have made arrangements for her allergies or we run into him an he points what she can and cannot eat.