ID required for NCL cruise

cf73uk

1 hour ago, cf73uk said:

Thanks, yes I had read that they kept the passports. My husband has a driving licence that we can use if we need to use for exchanging money etc but as long as I don’t need the additional ID to get back on the ship then I probably won’t bother getting a provisional licence 

You typically still need a government issued photo ID as well as your ship ID to enter the port area...... it doesn't have to be specifically a driving license.  I know you're in the UK but here in the States, you can get a governemt ID very easily so hopefully it's the same for you 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea saw 56 said:

Be sure that the name(s) on the ID you use matches the name(s) on your reservations exactly.  This is a new rule with NCL in the past few months.  

Not a NCL rule but one that is being enforced by USCBP / TSA........ 

The following info was included in the confirmation documents for my upcoming cruise aboard the Encore out of nyc:

Documentation:
All guests must provide NCL with their full legal names, EXACTLY as they appear on their passports, to avoid denial of boarding. All guests require proof of citizenship for cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port (a valid passport is strongly recommended). A valid passport is required for all other cruises. In addition to your passport, a visa may be required. Visa requirements vary by country and are subject to change. Visas are required for all U.S. and Canadian citizens traveling to Asia, Australia, South America, India and Brazil. For the appropriate requirements based on your itinerary and nationality please contact your travel professional, local immigration office or www.ncl.com/traveldocs. It is the guest's responsibility to obtain required visas and other documentation prior to sailing, including vaccinations for infectious diseases. Failure to arrive with proper documentation could result in denied boarding, and no further compensation will be offered.

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

Yes a passport will work but most people will always carry a drivers license everywhere and not so much a passport.  It will be required to get into federal buildings. I guess i just found it easier to have the drivers license than tote a passport.

But if you read the initial post, they were asking about just needing a passport.

• Like 1

For an RCI cruise out of Singapore we are required to supply our own copies of our passports, as the passports will be collected when we board the ship, given back after the last Vietnam port.  New this year we must each supply two passport size pictures to be used for our Vietnam visas.  This is why everyone should read the visa requirements for every country to be visited, as RCI did not tell us of this new requirement, was not needed on our NCL Jewel cruise in 2019. 

46 minutes ago, Sea saw 56 said:

There was thread on here about this (yes, NCL) recently.  

It is part of Homeland Security's Secure Flight (Traveller) Program that encompasses TSA, USCBP etc

All airlines, cruise lines, travel agencies, etc are now enforcing it 

On 2/2/2020 at 10:59 AM, cf73uk said:

I called NCL but was told as I’d booked through a travel agent they couldn’t access my booking or advise! I’ll try the travel agent tomorrow

thanks everyone who has responded  

I think the disconnect you are getting is between needed and suggested. You need a passport to take this cruise. It's entirely possible that the cruise line will hold your passport at guest services (they did for a med cruise I took that stopped in turkey). So a suggestion is to bring another photo ID to carry into port. You can also just stop by guest services every morning to retrieve you passport but I believe you will have to return it.

• Thanks 1