Need help with ETA for Australia

Oceansaway17

Okay, so the search engine for cc site did not help so I am asking directly to all of you USA travelers who have gone to Australia and NZ.

What was the EXACT internet address or website for getting ETA for Australia and NZ?

I have been told to go to a govt site.  When searching under Yahoo so many things come up that it is confusing. I don't want a company that provides a service I want the real and correct legal place to handle the ETA.

Also, one site says the Australian ETA would come via email and another say in the regular mail to house.

Help me get the correct place and information and how far in advance would I need to request.  My passport is good until 2028 and I am going Nov 1st 2020.

thanks for any help for frustrated traveler.  And don't even get me started on getting seat assignment for Quantas(wow what a mess also)

50 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Okay, so the search engine for cc site did not help so I am asking directly to all of you USA travelers who have gone to Australia and NZ.

What was the EXACT internet address or website for getting ETA for Australia and NZ?

I have been told to go to a govt site.  When searching under Yahoo so many things come up that it is confusing. I don't want a company that provides a service I want the real and correct legal place to handle the ETA.

Also, one site says the Australian ETA would come via email and another say in the regular mail to house.

Help me get the correct place and information and how far in advance would I need to request.  My passport is good until 2028 and I am going Nov 1st 2020.

thanks for any help for frustrated traveler.  And don't even get me started on getting seat assignment for Quantas(wow what a mess also)

As posted above, these are the correct governement sites to use to obtain your ETAs. When I googled Australian ETA it was the 5th entry and the same for NZ - government websites will if not always, usually have gov. in their addresss. The entries above were all ads for commercial companies. You should receive an email confirmation.

By the way it is QANTAS not QUANTAS. It stands for Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services as it was originally known.

Enjoy your trip down under.

9 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

And don't even get me started on getting seat assignment for Quantas(wow what a mess also)

8 hours ago, possum52 said:

By the way it is QANTAS not QUANTAS. It stands for Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services as it was originally known.

Apart from the chance to say how good it is to see the airline's original name set out completely correctly, I thought I should add that if the OP does want any advice about seating on Qantas, there is the Cruise Air forum here where I believe there are some Qantas regulars who can help.

Just want to add that these ETA's (short for Electronic Travel Authority) are "electronically" attached to your passport. You will get a receipt with the ETA number once completed, but nothing is "mailed to your house."

The ETA is valid for one year after issue, for visits less than 3 months duration. Technically you could apply for it now, but early summer should be time enough. Approval is generally quick, same day or within a few days (we've always had our approved immediately.)

Use the links provided by d9704011 and you should be good!

Enjoy your trip!

Unless something happens.    There are some times the Australian esta system kicks out an error even though you meet their requirements.  Your only option at that point is to go with a regular visa which supposedly takes 21 days though they are beating that.    I’d not wait until the last minute.  

Apply for your ETAs before you book any non-refundable airline tickets or accommodations.  It's rare that there are problems with getting an ETA, but it does happen.  I have read posts from plenty of people who waited until the last minute and had a problem.  Guess who wasn't getting on a plane to Australia or New Zealand? 

I bought my tickets that is why I am having hard time getting numbers on Q airlines.

But I was able to request preference for aisle and I have a phone number.

I am thinking Nov is too soon for international flights seat assignment. Oh well. I will be pissed if buying ticket 10 months in advance and I get stuck with middle seats. Grrrrrrrrr

I wont wait until last minute but request eta in Sept.

But I did read they are good for 2 years.

Thanks for replies.

4 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I bought my tickets that is why I am having hard time getting numbers on Q airlines.

But I was able to request preference for aisle and I have a phone number.

I am thinking Nov is too soon for international flights seat assignment. Oh well. I will be pissed if buying ticket 10 months in advance and I get stuck with middle seats. Grrrrrrrrr

I wont wait until last minute but request eta in Sept.

Thanks for replies.

With an Australian ETA you can visit as many times as you want to in a 12 month period for up to 3 months at a time. For NZ, the eTA is valid for 2 years.

Leigh

No, they are not. As stated above: An Australian eTA is valid for one year from the date of issue, although it can be used for entry on any day up to and including the last day of its validity.

I am thinking Nov is too soon for international flights seat assignment.

No, it is not. If you are entitled to seat pre-allocation on Qantas, this can be done from the day of booking. If you're having a problem, it lies somewhere else.

6 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Try this link to pre select/reserve seats on your Qantas flight.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-info/seat-selection.html

Leigh

16 hours ago, Globaliser said:

No, they are not. As stated above: An Australian eTA is valid for one year from the date of issue, although it can be used for entry on any day up to and including the last day of its validity.

No, it is not. If you are entitled to seat pre-allocation on Qantas, this can be done from the day of booking. If you're having a problem, it lies somewhere else.

Various govt sites recently are saying 2 yrs now.

But who knows.

7 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

This one now makes the 4th site I have been given.

7 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Hmmmm interesting.

It would be worth checking to see whether your computer has spyware or malware that is covertly directing you to sites other than the official Australian government website. There is only one of them, and as possum52 has shown, it gives the correct information for Australia.

So far as visas are concerned, all commercial sites should be presumed to be suspect unless proved otherwise. Last night, I heard a story from a friend of someone in her group who got scammed when applying for an Indian visa even though the application had apparently been made through a legitimate website that the entire group used.