Corona virus RCI policy

2 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Very easy to correct if this is how you feel. Cancel all your existing RCL cruises, close your membership account and don't cruise with RCL again in future. Done.

Thats very harsh of you and indifferent of that person's genuine concerns. They will probably have no option but to cancel their cruises. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BeachChik said:

I am concerned about this being that I just received a new email that now states:

Additionally, there will be mandatory specialized health screenings performed on:

• Guests who are unsure if they have been in contact with individuals who have traveled from, to or through mainland China or Hong Kong in the past 15 days.
  • Guests who report feeling unwell or demonstrate any flu-like symptoms.
  • Any guest presenting with fever or low blood oximetry in the specialized health screening will be denied boarding.

I'm traveling with two small kids who could run a low grade fever from something like teething. And what is flu like symptoms? Someone with the sniffles could be pulled aside and denied? And realistically someone that has a cold could run a low fever but feel ok enough to travel. I have a cold right now but I feel fine.

I feel the same way, and now that they are denying boarding to anyone with a fever, I'm even more concerned. Hoping I don't catch a cold before my trip!

19 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

I'm so sorry this is happening to you.  It's unfounded discrimination which doesn't have a thing to do with safety.  I hope RCI comes to their senses ASAP

I agree with the first part of your answer. As for safety, the problem is that no one knows the right answer. So they have to pick a parameter that is based on present knowledge and that can be easily enforced. As more things become known, they will adjust.

If things settle down people will say they overreacted. If things get worse people will say why didn't they do this sooner. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BHannis said:

I feel the same way, and now that they are denying boarding to anyone with a fever, I'm even more concerned. Hoping I don't catch a cold before my trip!

We're cruising tomorrow and I cancelled dinner with my family last night because my grandson has a cold. I'm sure any cold like symptoms will result in instant quarantine to your stateroom on board.

5 minutes ago, mochuck said:

I don't think its fake woke outrage. Its genuine disappointment by people who hold Chinese passports who have good reason to be upset.
OTOH I don't think RC's policy is unfounded either. This situation seems to be assessed on a daily basis. I'm guessing these latest restrictions are based on what is happening on Diamond Princess.

I am cunard and ncl guy and I do agree with this to a certain extent as we have a cunard trip coming up in April (NYC/SOTON). But I do have to say this situation has been badly managed by princess/carnival thus far.

Once the outbreak was discovered the ship should have been evacuated on a nationality basis with those nationals being returned home with assistance of governments if possible and placed into quarantine  in their home country. As opposed to what is now the rolling quarantine of a princess cruise ship  - which since each new case resets the quarantine clock to my understanding - could go on for weeks or even months.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ace2542 said:

I am cunard and ncl guy and I do agree with this to a certain extent as we have a cunard trip coming up in April (NYC/SOTON). But I do have to say this situation has been badly managed by princess/carnival thus far.

Once the outbreak was discovered the ship should have been evacuated on a nationality basis with those nationals being returned home with assistance of governments if possible and placed into quarantine  in their home country. As opposed to what is now the rolling quarantine of a princess cruise ship  - which since each new case resets the quarantine clock to my understanding - could go on for weeks or even months.

The clock would only need to be reset if the passengers were mingling continuously. Passengers for the most part have been confined to staterooms. Those that they are allowing on to deck are being strictly monitored. 
I saw on the news this morning that at this stage they will be allowed to disembark on 19th February. Of course, this is an evolving situation.

53 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

It's not unfounded, nor is it discrimination. 

If a highly contagious and potentially deadly virus with no vaccine had its ground zero in Ireland, where tens of thousands were sickened, then they'd do the same thing to Irish passport holders. The fake woke outrage over this smart, prudent and welcome decision is absurd. 

And I would be equally dismayed if they did.

It's not fair or woke outrage at all. It's having a basic understanding of science: holding a Chinese passport does not make a person more prone to having the virus. Having been infected regions recently does, regardless if nationality.

Maybe 20 years ago when asspirts with chips weren't the norm and it would be virtually impossible to really know if someone actually didn't live or travel to their nation of birth, and knowing people will lie sometimes, it might've made sense from an abundance of caution standpoint.  But now? No it's just reactionary with no logical basis.  Realistically, a Chinese national who lives and works in a small rural town in Georgia and drives to port would have less odds of exposure than a US citizen who lives in Seattle and flew from SeaTac via Chicago and on down to Miami before boarding.  But the Georgia resident would be denied boarding. (Just a random example).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And, FTR, I'm not at all opossed to RCI and other lines taking pretty strong, non discriminatory, science based action to protect passengers and crew. 

We had been booked to sail B2B out of Shanghai in March. 

I'm absolutely good with denying boarding to anyone whose actually been in hotspot areas. I'm I'm surprised by how few countries stopped incoming flights from infected areas. 

Anf I thought cruises in the region should've almost immediately xanceithe next teo- four weeks worth of cruising and self quaritined crew until it was clear no one had it while workout out plan B iteneraries.

The whole international response has been rather slow, made worse by the apparent early refusal to admit an issue on the part of the Chinese government.  Adding in illogical, paranoid bans doesn't help and does harm people who are unjustly and illogically discriminated against.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Maybe 20 years ago when asspirts with chips weren't the norm and it would be virtually impossible to really know if someone actually didn't live or travel to their nation of birth, and knowing people will lie sometimes, it might've made sense from an abundance of caution standpoint.  But now? No it's just reactionary with no logical basis.  Realistically, a Chinese national who lives and works in a small rural town in Georgia and drives to port would have less odds of exposure than a US citizen who lives in Seattle and flew from SeaTac via Chicago and on down to Miami before boarding.  But the Georgia resident would be denied boarding. (Just a random example).

The real question is what information the cruise lines have access to in terms of a passenger's travel history.  Note that some people have multiple passports so any presented passport may not reflect the total travel history.  I don't know the answer to this question.

What is Germany doing?  I see that they are restricting inbound passengers from China and not issuing new visas.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

The whole international response has been rather slow, made worse by the apparent early refusal to admit an issue on the part of the Chinese government.  Adding in illogical, paranoid bans doesn't help and does harm people who are unjustly and illogically discriminated against.

The Chinese intentionally suppressed the information and arrested the doctor who tried to raise the alarm.  Now he is dead.  Social media is continually censored removing valuable information

The world - including your government in Germany - is wise to be cautious of anything coming out of China.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

The real question is what information the cruise lines have access to in terms of a passenger's travel history.  Note that some people have multiple passports so any presented passport may not reflect the total travel history.  I don't know the answer to this question.

What is Germany doing?  I see that they are restricting inbound passengers from China and not issuing new visas.  

True.  My husband had two US passports. I don't know how the system registers his travels.  And my dad has a US passport (though he's not set foot I side the US since 2005) and a Mexican one.

I'm afraid I can't answer what Germany is doing.  I'm typing this from YYZ, in route home to Germany from a visit with my parents who live in Mexico.  I've not followed as much news as I might normally. I followed the cruise situation as we were watching for our chance to cancel my 4 March flight to China and our cruises but otherwise I was trying to enjoy a rare visit with loved ones.

2 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

True.  My husband had two US passports. I don't know how the system registers his travels.  And my dad has a US passport (though he's not set foot I side the US since 2005) and a Mexican one.

I'm afraid I can't answer what Germany is doing.  I'm typing this from YYZ, in route home to Germany from a visit with my parents who live in Mexico.  I've not followed as much news as I might normally. I followed the cruise situation as we were watching for our chance to cancel my 4 March flight to China and our cruises but otherwise I was trying to enjoy a rare visit with loved ones.

I also have deep ties to Mexico and think about relocating there in the future.  I have been investigating what it takes to get my citizenship there.

1 minute ago, SelectSys said:

I also have deep ties to Mexico and think about relocating there in the future.  I have been investigating what it takes to get my citizenship there.  Niether of my parents has ever regretted moving there, even though they broke up almost twenty years ago.  Best of luck.  If you're ever looking near PV, Nuevo, Bucerias, etc I can recommend Realtors and the like.

2 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

I'm so sorry this is happening to you.  It's unfounded discrimination which doesn't have a thing to do with safety.  I hope RCI comes to their senses ASAP

Yes it is a shame but I think Chinese citizens are paying the price for their Government not being completely open and honest. 

• Like 4

I don't believe RCI made this decision lightly or is happy about it either.  You all do realize how much they have invested in the Chinese/Asian market over the last ten or so years?  This is probably the last decision they wanted to make. They are alienating a people and market they have built trust in and created a growing relationship with.  I'd bet they know more about what is going on then most of us and have been consulting with Governments all over the globe to come up with this decision. My guess is they aren't any more happy about this than anyone else, but this is the reality of the situation.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LoveTheSoul said:

This sounds pretty serious.

It was also a week ago....

a lot has changed since this.

this is a lot of overblown fear and doubt.

lets look at the numbers...

As at now there 34,878 confirmed cases.

34,560 of those are on mainland China.(population of approx 1.38bn) which equates to LESS than 0.002% of their population

So that leaves 318 cases for the rest of the world. 

More people globally have, and are spreading the influenza right now!!

To those of you considering cancelling cruises in places like Alaska, Canada, Caribbean.   You would be mad to.

Your chances of catching this would be less than actually the chance of dying whilst en-route to the port.

also with the bulk of the airlines now not flying to mainland China, the reported cases outside China ahould start dropping.

the other thing to keep in mind is the recovery vs death rate.

724 deaths vs 2066 recovered 

We won’t be cancelling our trip unless the cruise gets cancelled.

Edited by Lostdave_98

14 minutes ago, Lostdave_98 said:

It was also a week ago....

a lot has changed since this.

this is a lot of overblown fear and doubt.

lets look at the numbers...

As at now there 34,878 confirmed cases.

34,560 of those are on mainland China.(population of approx 1.38bn)

so that leaves 318 cases for the rest of the world.

To those of you considering cancelling cruises in places like Alaska, Canada, Caribbean.   You would be mad to.

Your chances of catching this would be less than actually the chance of dying whilst en-route to the port.

also with the bulk of the airlines now not flying to mainland China, the reported cases outside China ahould start dropping.

the other thing to keep in mind is the recovery vs death rate.

724 deaths vs 2066 recovered 

We won’t be cancelling our trip unless the cruise gets cancelled.

The point of the video is that China hasn’t been forthright with their numbers. They are using large vehicles and machinery to spray throughout the city. They are welding people shut inside their apartments. Citizens are posting these videos all over Twitter. They have known about this much longer than anyone else. To say this has been blown out of proportion because the video was made 1 week doesn’t make it less serious. 

No one is saying to cancel your cruise. It is important that everyone understands why cruise lines are taking safety precautions against this. 

• Like 3