ARE WE being a bit paranoid?

Aplmac

4 hours ago, Aplmac said:

How can anyone answer that? Only you know your own risk tolerance, health, etc

There are zero, none, zilch, nada cases of Wuhan Coronavirus in St Lucia. 

The cruise ship that was not allowed to dock had no cases of it either, but did have an unusual amount of upper respiratory cases aboard - again, with no indication that it is/was the Wuhan Coronavirus  - so our health ministry and such took appropriate measures to keep them off island. Same as a couple years back when Queen Mary wasn't allowed to tender guests or crew into tbe island due to a norovirus outbreak aboard. Or where Freewinds was quarantined at pier for a week or so due to a measles outbreak aboard ship last year.  It happens, in virtually all ports. 

If anything, it should possibly give you a bit if peace of mind  that countries are taking this, and other health issues, seriously and taking as many precautions as they can.. 

Again though, only you know your risk tolerance, etc.  No one has any ide how long this outbreak may last, when or if there will be vaccines available soon, and so on. Every cruise line has implemented screaming measures, etc to help defer it.  Each person has to make the decision for themselves as to whether they will still travel or not.   Us, we have no plans to cancel any of our upcoming trips. 

Edited by reedprincess

9 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I think the concern for me is being on a ship in the Caribbean and not able to visit ports. Hopefully this will settle down before our upcoming cruise 

That can happen anytime, as noted in my earlier post. While right now happens to be heightened awareness, ships miss ports for a myriad of reasons, including health issues. 

Unfortunately, you have no way of knowing in advance.  The above mentioned ship, again, does not have suspected cases of the Wuhan Coronavirus aboard, but an unusually high number of upper respiratory cases..  it also missed Dominica yesterday (Sunday).  

It's a risk with any travel, any time.  

3 hours ago, Aplmac said:

More Cruise Ports Turning Away or Quarantining Ships Due to Coronavirus Fears

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5057/?source=131280&fbclid=IwAR3GmpwAdWLIHM6tMSmp6pSdw_ydmkoTt8B3onoxpd471VcCAKxKA_cPUHc

Yup, read thw article - still the same ship as noted in your post above, being referenced in said article about ship being turned away in the Caribbean. There's not another ship now being turned away, and again - nothing to indicate that there was/is Coronavirus aboard said ship, but rather a much higher than average amount of URI cases. 

The Diamond in Japan is on full lockdown, a sadly unfortunate situation for sure, but one that was somewhat not unexpected, given its itineray.  

Again, everyone has to make their own choices about traveling right now. Only you know what you're comfortable with. 

We don't have any plans to change or trips for this year. Whether that would change depends on how the situation progresses.  

• Like 1

Same ship that was refused at SLU was also refused at DOM as well.

My point being that this crisis is spreading!
Throughout the cruise industry
, and very soon

the air travel industry might start to feel its effect, if it hasn't already.

2 hours ago, Aplmac said:

, and very soon

2 hours ago, Aplmac said:

, and very soon

Yes, Dominica, which I literally made note of in my comments - before you posted the "new" CC article.  And I'll reiterate - no one on that ship, here in the Caribbean, has the new Coronavirus. It was out of caution I've unusually high amounts of URI cases.  

And I stand by my comments as well - only you know your risk tolerance. I personally think you're being paranoid, but if you're concerned, worried, whatever - then I'd agree with you that you shouldn't be cruising to the Caribbean- where there are currently no confirmed cases, although some people are now in quarantine on several islands due to URI.. as there are in 17+ different countries.  

As noted, we all need to make informed decisions, and make them based on our own risk tolerance, health, etc also.   It will be different for every one.  

On 2/2/2020 at 6:22 AM, Aplmac said:

Are we being a bit paranoid about this Coronavirus scare?

Aplmac --- Short answer, Yes.  I don't want to come across as rude, but I agree with reedprincess, " only you know your risk tolerance ".  And as worried and concerned as you seem to be, you probably should not cruise or fly or go out in public until this epidemic is over.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Now it's Feb. 25th. and Italy has become a hot spot!

Why? How come?

ROME and Italy are magnets for wealthy Chinese travellers!

Once it's in Europe it could spread fast by rail and coach travel.

Won't even mention airline travel,

where we breathe ea.other's recirculated air

for an hour or three.

How many bugs have we all picked up on various flights? Too many!

Italy_quaratine_cornavirus.jpg

7 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Now it's Feb. 25th. and Italy has become a hot spot!

Why? How come?

ROME and Italy are magnets for wealthy Chinese travellers!

Once it's in Europe it could spread fast by rail and coach travel.

Won't even mention airline travel,

where we breathe ea.other's recirculated air

for an hour or three.

How many bugs have we all picked up on various flights? Too many!

Italy_quaratine_cornavirus.jpg

And I'll ask again, what does this have to do with St Lucia, or cruising the Caribbean at large?

If you're this concerned/worried about a virus that for the vast vast vast majority is mild flu like symptoms, or many not even knowing they've contracted it, then cancel your cruise. If you have underlying health issues that may make you more susceptible to more severe forms, then take appropriate precautions - which I'll assume you know what those would be based on all the other viruses and bacterial infections you can catch that can cause complications in those with compromised immune systems. 

My country has extended it's travel babe/quarantine requirements based in updated info, including the Italy cases etc.  

Again, if you're concerned or worried about your health, don't travel. It's really that simple.  I'm really not sure what you're after with the continued hype posts here.  You have to make the best choices for you and yours based on available official info..  

OK -an interesting graphic

showing Fascination's roundabout course

as she awaited permission to (finally!) dock, at Barbados!

And an article to read..

http://www.loopnewsbarbados.com/content/negative-sheer-joy-carnival-fascination-after-covid-19-scare?fbclid=IwAR2E65wrzg4Bge2XXtQQSUnEUgV_9B5m0IkEgTk_jVsEew492TvZT0Tde2Y

NO Coronavirus on board!

Captain must've been furious, being held in limbo like this...

but all's well that ends well!

Fascination docked.JPG

Fascination route!.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Cruise ships at anchor

out in Carlisle Bay, Barbados -yesterday

as they figure out what to do with themselves!

One pic (last one) shows them also languishing in the Port as well.

At one point, there were about 6 or 7 of them, all idle!

What a situation, huh?

9326.JPG

9327.JPG

9329.JPG

9332.JPG