Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

Looking for some clarifications form people who the details about testing.

1. How can some countries do hundreds of tests pretty quickly burt Japan has been doing only handful per day and takking 2-3 days for the results?

2. Are these tests done on DP pax same as those beong done on Westerdam pax in combodia?

3. CDC web site seems to indicate that rRT-PCR test should take 4 hours. so why so many places are talking about 2-3 days?

(will also enquire in HAL forum)

1 minute ago, bluesea321 said:

Ha, ha, LOL  A book already in development... 

"The Deadly Diamond by Gay Courter...A saga of germ and germ warfare on the high seas!"

https://www.facebook.com/gcourter

I said this to my DH that someone should spend their time writing a book about their ordeal ... help to pass that time while they were in quarantine.  Guess someone else already thought about doing just that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DivotMaker said:

ERFvTKMXYAAtzXv.png.07c0895615d763ea0f37a4f96e7ac215.png

This shouldn’t be new information to anyone but rather a confirmation from the US that their names have specifically been added to the restricted travel list from the DHS.

I can’t imagine the fear of those that were attempting to take the plane, with a threat of being unable to return for an open dated period of time, and an uncertainty of “did my results come back” and “is that just a tickle in my throat”. It’s not like deciding to I go to work today. I just can’t villainize someone that wasn’t 100% transparent about anytime they coughed unless they outright lied (ie had a fever and said no, were specifically told they were positive and lied, etc.) It’s not as if the US offered a contingency if you admitted having symptoms and then just turned out to have a cold. It was basically “if you’re not on the plane, you’re on your own”.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DesertSailors said:

Interesting video just posted.  My thoughts continue to be with all who were on the ship and continue to be there.

Well that answers my questions about why this ship seems such an outlier compared to the rest of the world (ex Wuhan).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies.  Was wondering -

What is preventing them, once released this week, from flying elsewhere (NOT USA), and booking a 2-week cruise?  They have to live somewhere until they are allowed to return home.   Is it possible they could fly to Australia and board another ship?  That would be unsettling to some 

Edited by BSocial

I saw a video a day or two ago that was done by the director of the CDC and he was expressing dismay that China was refusing them an opportunity to come into the country to study the virus.  His point was that China would be the best source to gain data for the US to get ahead start on how to deal with the virus.  Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but, at the very least, this seems unfortunate.  

Not the video link (I couldn't locate it yet):  From www.reddit.com

Edited by ar1950
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, npcl said:

I believe all that test negative with the samples collected in the past couple of days will be released from quarantine.  Any testing positive will go to hospital.

The biggest issue for those that stayed onboard is the number of in country cases in Japan is starting to climb.  Japan might find itself on a restricted list in a couple of weeks. So people might spend their time on the Diamond, spend another 14 days in Japan and still not be able to fly home.

Singapore has lot more. On per capita basis even higher than China.

But Macau with 5 is on the list but not singapore.

26 minutes ago, BSocial said:

What number of Americans stayed on board Diamond Princess (refused to evacuate)?

Well they made their decision. I guess they on their own. US government made an offer to evacuate them they turned it down. Its like the Australians, who are thinking about turning down the Australian Government offer. I would have gone. Too many variables staying.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, ar1950 said:

I saw a video a day or two ago that was done by the director of the CDC and he was expressing dismay that China was refusing them an opportunity to come into the country to study the virus.  His point was that China would be the best source to gain data for the US to get ahead start on how to deal with the virus.  Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but, at the very least, this seems unfortunate.  

Not the video link (I couldn't locate it yet):  From www.reddit.com

All about control with the Chinese. If they let in help they lose control of the narrative. I suspect its a lot worse than what the Chinese are telling anyone. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, BSocial said:

Thanks for the replies.  Was wondering -

What is preventing them, once released this week, from flying elsewhere (NOT USA), and booking a 2-week cruise?  They have to live somewhere until they are allowed to return home.   Is it possible they could fly to Australia and board another ship?  That would be unsettling to some 

Why would other countries not follow the US approach. If its not okay to come back to the US for certain period of time why would it be acceptable for any other country to allow them in? 

59 minutes ago, Ombud said:

1st quarantined at Travis AFB released. 346 were from Wuhan.  Other group at March AFB (200?) released days ago 

New arrivals have a long wait 😨

Yes. But they are on home soil. I think that is the biggest challenge at the moment. 

15 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Singapore has lot more. On per capita basis even higher than China.

But Macau with 5 is on the list but not singapore.

yes, however the diamond passengers are not in Singapore.

I do expect that Singapore is certainly on the cusp of losing control of local person to person transmission.

12 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Well they made their decision. I guess they on their own. US government made an offer to evacuate them they turned it down. Its like the Australians, who are thinking about turning down the Australian Government offer. I would have gone. Too many variables staying.

Ive now read that Australians who dont take that flight will not be allowed back into Australia until 14 days from the departure from the ship. 

• Like 3

I'm a little confused with the letter about not being able to travel into the US. Forgive me if I'm missing something (it's very possible I am) but this ban is to prevent these people coming into the US and possibly infecting others, correct? I get it. However, there seems to be nothing in place to stop them possibly infecting someone that IS permitted to travel to the US (or any country) and thus having that "3rd party" infect others. So, doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1