Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

2 hours ago, Maya1234 said:

David Abel’s son reported this morning that Princess got his parents a phone with a SIM card and service in Japan. That’s pretty impressive. Princess definitely seems to be doing its best from a PR front given the situation. 

I am very glad for David that Princess got them a phone but how about doing the same for all others in similar situations! Or is Princess doing this just for PR!

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

The New York Times published a lengthy article today about the debacle aboard the Diamond Princess. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/22/world/asia/coronavirus-japan-cruise-ship.html

48 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Very interesting read.  With no "road map" to follow for a situation like this, they Japanese didn't have a clue really how to handle it but I do think Princess handled this well under the circumstances

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dog said:

Do you have a link for source?

You were asking for source that Princess provided a phone to David Abel that works in  Japan. You can find that on the latest video done by Abels son and his wife on David Abels YouTube channel which you can find by googling David’s name and “ celebrant training”.  

On 2/21/2020 at 10:44 AM, hal2008 said:

Would you be moving into a cabin just vacated by an infected person? 

Most of the posters here do not want to take cruise on ANY ship ANYWHERE in Asia!!!!

Just put yourself in shoes of that semi-educated crew member.

You are in foreign country. Alone.

Have seen people getting sick for 15 days and now you will be jailed for another 14 days in an infected cabin.

Princess need to get them off the ship and put in some hostel/hotel at least.

If pax can get off, why not crew?

"Paid vacation" is when you get same pay as you would get during your normal work.

Contractual minimum gurantee of base pay and minimum gratuity does not equal to normal pay.

In normal work environment, employer would have been sued for forceful involuntary endangerment.

(with compensation lot more than contractual minimum)

Wow.  Seriously?  Wholly inappropriate.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveSJ711 said:

The New York Times published a lengthy article today about the debacle aboard the Diamond Princess. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/22/world/asia/coronavirus-japan-cruise-ship.html

*SIGH*

yet another link that can’t be viewed unless one pays 

1 hour ago, DaveSJ711 said:

5 minutes ago, itsallaboutmememe said:

yet another link that can’t be viewed unless one pays 

Not completely true.

The NYT allows you to read 5 free articles a month, but you need to sign up for free to do this.

• Like 4

Friends back in Ontario. They have another 14 day quarantine but are in a Canadian facility that’s like a hotel with free range to go anywhere in or out around it with a mask (only ship passengers are there). Thankful they’re back “home.”

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, HALrunner said:

Just read this:

"The Japanese Ministry of Health has discovered that 23 passengers from the Diamond Princess cruise ship were released after their quarantine without being retested, a condition of their release."

From a mainstream US media channel

Yeah, and also on the Japan Times today.

Just read on the LA Channel 4 app that the CDC was attempting to transfer as many as 50 coronavirus patients from Travis AFB to a facility in Costa Mesa CA, which is some 430 miles away from Travis. Evidently, the city was only informed about this on Thursday night and the transfer was to take place as early as Sunday. The city got a judge to issue an emergency restraining order to stop the transfer until steps to could be taken to make sure the site is suitable and all necessary precautions can be taken. The city will be holding a press conference this afternoon and there is a further court hearing on Monday. The facility in question appears to be in a residential area and had been used to treat mental health patients.  The article did say these people had tested positive for the virus. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Dr. Iwata was alarmed by the lack of control measures, even among the medical staff. In videos he posted on YouTube, he said he had observed a nurse at the ship’s medical center receiving ill crew members without wearing a mask. She said she was already infected and she was completely giving up”.

This was the ship physician not the nurse.

17 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

This was the ship physician not the nurse.

I'll go watch the video again, it is still available on secondary sites.

Edit: At the 5:10 minute mark Dr. Iwata refers to "the medical officer". He did not state what type of medical officer so perhaps the NYT talked to him and found out it was a ship's nurse.

Edited by bluesea321
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, HALrunner said:

Just read this:

"The Japanese Ministry of Health has discovered that 23 passengers from the Diamond Princess cruise ship were released after their quarantine without being retested, a condition of their release."

From a mainstream US media channel

This is very strange.  I don't believe (reading their accounts) that a single one of the people let off the ship in Japan was even asked or notified there would be a second test (something many of us felt would be wise, but probably still insufficient).

Someone else posted today that at least one passenger who disembarked in Japan has been found to be positive and so many more carriers are showing up on the evacuated groups... seems like it's time for Japan to upgrade it's "recommendation" to stay inside and wear a mask to an order to quarantine-- better late than never.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

According to the Japan Times:

"The 23 passengers had been tested before Feb. 5, but results came back negative. Having negative results was a condition to be allowed to get off the cruise liner. The ministry found out that the 23 were not tested again after Feb. 5 after reviewing information about the passengers who disembarked."

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

I just wonder if it means some who were tested away at the start were meant to be retested but some where missed.

I have not seen or heard of any who were tweeting ever mentioning a retest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fragilek said:

I just wonder if it means some who were tested away at the start were meant to be retested but some were missed.

That is what I understand. The initial test that some received was clearly not sufficient as the so called "cabin isolation" had not been implemented on the ship yet. So this is another snafu and the Minister of Health apologized for it.

• Like 2

I know there is a lot of criticism about the way Japan has handled the situation and in some cases very likely justified.  However this afternoon I sat and for a few minutes imagined a ship docking in Southampton (I live in the UK) in the same situation with the majority of the passengers Brits with small percentages from other countries.  Would we have done things differently .. would our hospitals have been able to cope any better .. have we got the facilities to land base quarantine for thousands of passengers.   I don’t have the answers but do know our hospitals are already stretched with long waiting lists in some areas. How would we feel if we were waiting for major life saving surgery to be put on hold while we quarantine foreign tourists.  
Princess has set the bar very high and handled it all as best they could under the stressful extenuating circumstances .. let’s all hope lessons have been learned and new procedures put into place should this ever happen again.  Having already done over 50 cruises with them I am now undecided if I really want to put myself in a similar situation.    I’m sure we will at some point in the future all be exposed to this or a similar virus .. I would just not like it to be on board a ship stuck in a foreign country under their control 
We have been fortunate and never been ill during a cruise .. once on a Cunard ship we had Norovirus outbreak and were sandwiched between two cabins where passengers got ill.  Thankfully that didn’t entail quarantine for passengers who had no symptoms.  

There has just been too many mistakes ... too many people now exposed to the virus.  
Eventually the data and facts will be published .. no doubt scientists are all pouring over the details of this ‘experiment’ right now.  Wishing all those infected and all their families  who are going through worrying times the best outcome.  

• Like 7

So if you were on the cruise and the minute "Princess " found out would you have been livid if they locked you down right away versus let you party away for the last night going to shows, eating and smoozing in the elevators with COVID-19 spreaders?

Of course if they implemented the quarantine earlier, likely there would have been what maybe 1/2 the number of cases because the whole cruise was a spreading situation.

I think most cruisers would have been up in arms complaining, so Princess did the logical thing, in absence of data, do the minimum and only act when the government demanded and we know how efficient and decisive governments are in making decisions, only China and dictatorships can make decisions quickly.

• Like 1