Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Yeah but it is not David who died according to the reports. Absolute shambles the way Japan has handled this. The family of the dead man should sue.

You know given the unreliable nature of these tests being used in Japan (and elsewhere) I go back to the departure of the US passengers on the flight.....I can't remember were they all tested before departure or only those with symptoms?  Either way no wonder there are so many now coming down with the virus while in quarantine.   Without a definitive test all these reported numbers don't mean much.  The Omaha facility re-tested everyone and said as much as the tests that were being used in Japan were not conclusive and they could not rely on them. DAvid Abel with all of his pre-existing condition is lucky he is feeling as good as he does...acute viral pneumonia is serious and he is slowly improving.  US admits lack of testing kits and is just now taking actions to get them out to the country...but are they reliable? Who knows.

37 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

How would you expect any country to deal with it?  It would have been just the same anywhere else - the primary concern would be to keep the virus away from the population.

Japan actually provided good medical support for those affected - would you have expected them to take 3000+ people into their health system?

How about taking the passengers off on a nationality by nationality basis and returning them home to quarantine in their own country instead of letting a 14 day quarantine play out on a cruise ship? If that ship had been evacuated much sooner perhaps the hundreds of cases would not have happened.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

How about taking the passengers off on a nationality by nationality basis and returning them home to quarantine in their own country instead of letting a 14 day quarantine play out on a cruise ship? If that ship had been evacuated much sooner perhaps the hundreds of cases would not have happened.

And how exactly would you have moved potentially infected passengers from the ship, through immigration, through the port, out again to the airport, through the airport and onto a plane without potentially infecting thousands of other people?

Instead of what you describe as hundreds of cases it could have been thousands. 

Japan could, of course, have simply instructed the ship not even to pull alongside (like many other countries) and sent it on its way.

Very easy to be wise after the event, particularly on a very limited knowledge of the facts.

• Like 18

I think critics aren't giving the Japanese enough credit for handling a crisis no other port has had to face before. 3500 passengers on a cruise ship with a significant number having a contagious illness. As we see in ports around the globe including the Caribbean, the Japanese could have just refused allowing the ship to land and you would have another Westerdam situation (undoubtedly, the large proportion of Japanese nationals on the ship influenced that decision).

Medical isolation is impossible on a cruise ship. Medical isolation units have an antechamber doored room with a sink for cleaning and gowning, masking, and gloving. Then one can enter the patients room which is often at a lower air pressure so viruses are less likely to leak out. When someone leaves they remove all of their gear and then exits the antechamber. Of course food isn't prepared and distributed by potentially infected people. 

On the Diamond, crew/medical staff apparently marched room to room with the same protective gowns on (if any)  allowing spread of the virus. The amount of either disposable waste generated or protective gowns needing laundering would be prohibitive. Clean areas of the ship? Pretty impossible given the fact that you don't know who on the crew is infected and who is not. Even our own CDC today can only run a few hundred Covid 19 PCR tests daily, requiring some perhaps ill advised decisions on not testing.

Think if this happened, say, on an Alaska voyage. 3500 potentially infected people needing disembarkation in Seattle. I think the US has 3 biocontainment centers, and several other lower centers. First of all there would be a shortage of containment facilities. Then you have to move all of these people hundreds or thousands of miles.

If you didn't move them, where would you put 3500 people in Seattle? Even if you could find enough housing with separate bathrooms by emptying out all of the hotels you basically have the same problems as the Diamond Princess had except you would have the crew isolated too. 

This was the least bad option for both Japan as well as the passengers and crew on the Diamond Princess - the Japanese citizens were somewhat protected (maybe a case of futility...) and the Diamond Princess had a place to evacuate the sick, get supplies including prescription drugs, and allow other countries to repatriate citizens.

Hopefully coronavirus will not evolve into a catastrophic event (either from virulence or panic), but cruise ships are going to be ground zero going forward.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fragilek said:

New is saying 1st British death from the ship (a man)-   In the Mirror paper 

edited to add also on BBC news

2 hours ago, glam mistress said:

Seems he was a British national but not a resident.

First British coronavirus death confirmed | World news | The Guardian

An Israeli passenger who tested positive and was treated in a Japanese hospital, was released from the hospital and then tested positive when he returned to Israel. He flew home on a commercial flight, and Israel has instructed everyone on his flight to self-quarantine for 14 days:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-returns-from-japan-after-bout-of-coronavirus-tests-positive-again/

3 minutes ago, happy trailer said:

An Israeli passenger who tested positive and was treated in a Japanese hospital, was released from the hospital and then tested positive when he returned to Israel. He flew home on a commercial flight, and Israel has instructed everyone on his flight to self-quarantine for 14 days:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-returns-from-japan-after-bout-of-coronavirus-tests-positive-again/

i think it tells you something when Omaha is testing everyone again and do not trust the Japanese tests...same thing is happening to Sally and David..Sally was negative and now positive again...what in the world is going on with the testing?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kathy49 said:

I don't have the answer to this ...anyone know for certain when DP was allowed to dock in Yokohama how many"confirmed" or even symptomatic people were on board? 

If I recall from reading on of the reports there were 33 passengers that had symptoms prior to the start of quarantine that tested positive during the initial set of testing (approx 250 tested).   There were also some in the initial round that tested positive without symptoms.

There were also 79 patients that had visited the medical center prior to the start of quarantine with a fever.  Unclear how many of the 79 later tested positive

Edited by npcl
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

i think it tells you something when Omaha is testing everyone again and do not trust the Japanese tests...same thing is happening to Sally and David..Sally was negative and now positive again...what in the world is going on with the testing?

I am not sure that they even trust their own tests.  Everyone has had examples of negative, then positive.  With some going even farther to neg - pos - neg - pos.

There does not seem to be any 100% reliable test at this time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, glam mistress said:

NEW: Japanese passenger tests positive for coronavirus after previously being released from quarantine on the Diamond Princess cruise ship - NHK

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233550314286047232

And there will be few more walking around Japan or elsewhere with the virus after being released from Diamond Princess.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, npcl said:

If I recall from reading on of the reports there were 33 passengers that had symptoms prior to the start of quarantine that tested positive during the initial set of testing (approx 250 tested).   There were also some in the initial round that tested positive without symptoms.

There were also 79 patients that had visited the medical center prior to the start of quarantine with a fever.  Unclear how many of the 79 later tested positive

Omaha (Nebraska Medicine) is doing 3 tests each time. Both nostrils and back of throat. Those doing drug trials are getting more tests done.

I think other places were doing 1 or 2. They did say that they didn't get full results from Japan and they want their own tests. I don't remember the exact wording but Nebraska Medicine is 1 of 3 places approved by CDC to analyze the tests. Though at least in the beginning - the CDC also wanted to see them. Not sure if that is still going on. I trust Nebraska Medicine.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

from the reports Omaha seems like the best place to be.

We are proud of Nebraska Medicine. We were proud when they handled Ebola patients. Not only that - the people here trust Nebraska Medicine and we did not have the backlash of people complaining about COVID-19 or Wuhan patients coming to our community who were ill or quarantined. Other communities are complaining about patients coming. This team trains constantly for this kind of scenario.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

According to the NYT a fifth Diamond Princess passenger has tested positive after initially being cleared of the virus.

I have to think that all of these passengers are just plain scared...no way to know if test results will hold up and now today first death in US.  Sad.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

I have to think that all of these passengers are just plain scared...no way to know if test results will hold up and now today first death in US.  Sad.

I can understand. In his latest video David Able said that they do not not have high confidence on the tests anymore. He is doing ok but Sally is bored stiff with little to do but wait. Their future plans are uncertain, just waiting and waiting. Geesh...

• Like 1

Supposedly there is a plane being chartered by Princess to bring people from Japan to the states early next week. I am assuming these are for those who are testing negative. I watched a video by one of the Jeri's who is in Omaha who said this. She is not sure if the other "Jeri" will be on it though.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2