Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

16 hours ago, tangoll said:

I am booked on Diamond Princess, 28 February 2020, 8 days around Japan plus Okinawa and Taiwan.  Anyone else on this itinerary?  I am flying into Tokyo on 26 Feb, stay two nights at hotel in Shinagawa, Tokyo, all fees/fares paid for.  I have annual travel insurance policy, which covers I guess travel/hotel/cruise fares if cancelled by Princess, but not if by governmental act or regulation.  Not sure what cancellation policy is with respect to voluntary cancellation on D Princess, but insurance policy does not cover "disinclination to travel."

So, I guess I just will hang on and see what develops.  I am in a double occupancy room with my Japanese friend (also male), and if we separate into two cabins, extra cost is US$1,650 (meaning US$825 for each of us.)  If we can go, we would split up into two cabins for the extra cost. Hang on for two weeks to see what comes around.

Just notified by Princess Cruise that the 28 Feb itinerary on Diamond Princess is cancelled.  Full refund plus 50% FCC to be paid.  Checking on non-Princess Air HKG/HND/HKG air fare of US$216 will be covered by Princess or not.  My hotel expense of US$160 can be cancelled up thru 22 Feb at no charge, booked via Agoda.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Viv0828 said:

could the virus be spreading through the air ducting systems. there probably are no filters that would remove very small particles.

just asking if there are any experts here that might be able to answer.

I doubt it.  As I understand the air flow the air is brought in from the outside then delivered into the rooms.  There is an exhaust vent in the bathroom that draws air out of the rooms and exhausted outside but that is normally just to keep moisture down in the bath rooms.

There might be a bit of an issue in that the rooms are slightly positive pressure forcing air into the hallways.  So no issue there.  But if a balcony room opens their door and leaves it open then air will flow from the hallway into the balcony room to the outside.  Its why sometimes you will get a whistling sound at the hallway door when you open the balcony door and leave it open.

These cases are all people that were infected prior to quarantine.  When they were just wandering around the ship interacting the the original source and others that may have gotten infected by the original source.  These are from the original round of testing. They are only 2 days into the incubation period so more cases could certainly develop.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

Just saw LA Times reporting an additional 41 passengers have tested positive for a total of 61. All are from the original 273 tested.

See post 320 for more details from The Guardian.

31 minutes ago, npcl said:

I doubt it.  As I understand the air flow the air is brought in from the outside then delivered into the rooms.  There is an exhaust vent in the bathroom that draws air out of the rooms and exhausted outside but that is normally just to keep moisture down in the bath rooms.

There might be a bit of an issue in that the rooms are slightly positive pressure forcing air into the hallways.  So no issue there.  But if a balcony room opens their door and leaves it open then air will flow from the hallway into the balcony room to the outside.  Its why sometimes you will get a whistling sound at the hallway door when you open the balcony door and leave it open.

These cases are all people that were infected prior to quarantine.  When they were just wandering around the ship interacting the the original source and others that may have gotten infected by the original source.  These are from the original round of testing. They are only 2 days into the incubation period so more cases could certainly develop.

Among the orginal high risk most certainly as we are seeing, the numbers look frightening and similar to what the count at Wuhan seem to be, then you got another 2K passengers who haven't been accessed and some will be strong carriers, in the sense could possible have strong immune system or just health and take many weeks to get symptons and well beyond the 14 days and the will wander onto airplanes back home and released ( after all they have already done the 14 days ) and we'll see the outbreak, interesting ideal experiment and study in play on the ship!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Viv0828 said:

could the virus be spreading through the air ducting systems. there probably are no filters that would remove very small particles.

I just read a Chinese article saying most public bathroom seems to be the high risk source. Some guy got contracted while transferring at the Wuhan airport. All he did was to use the bathroom at the airport. If we think about it, most people who travel will need to use the bathroom at some point, and bathroom is the perfect breeding ground. 

article suggest avoid touching anything in public bathroom, if unavoidable, then use sanitizer right away

12 minutes ago, cnssu123 said:

I just read a Chinese article saying most public bathroom seems to be the high risk source. Some guy got contracted while transferring at the Wuhan airport. All he did was to use the bathroom at the airport. If we think about it, most people who travel will need to use the bathroom at some point, and bathroom is the perfect breeding ground. 

article suggest avoid touching anything in public bathroom, if unavoidable, then use sanitizer right away

Sanitizer is fine, but remember they are anti-bacterial. This is a virus. Soap and water, over and over, is the best answer. And try to never touch your anything else with you hands. Glove of course would help, but they still cannot touch other parts without possible transference. 

No one said it would be easy to avoid risks. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, cnssu123 said:

fecal-oral just like nora virus, them super bugs are getting smart aren't they!

Yup just the air droplets floating around and inhaled into your eyes/nose/lungs and you become a carrier too.   Something right out of a science fiction movie indeed, just hold your breath and then wash a lot but what about your clothes which are going to get most and carry too?

39 minutes ago, generichandle said:

Sanitizer is fine, but remember they are anti-bacterial. This is a virus. Soap and water, over and over, is the best answer. And try to never touch your anything else with you hands. Glove of course would help, but they still cannot touch other parts without possible transference. 

No one said it would be easy to avoid risks. 

Where did you hear that?  Alcohol rub sanitizers kill most bacteria, and fungi, and stop some viruses.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, patch nine said:

The cabins are no longer being serviced so no clean sheets or towels.  I wonder what will happen about laundry - everyone will soon be running out of clean undies!  

Wash the undies in the sink that is each stateroom. Hang them up to dry on the drying line in the shower.

14 hours ago, manunia said:

please try to be considerate - if somebody wants to stop doing something it should be voluntary (extra support would be really helpful)

You are so negative. Ever heard of making lemonade from lemons?

As a former smoker knows the ideal time to give up smoking is when there is no social pressure from others to smoke and no access to other smokers and no access to cigarettes.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Where did you hear that?  Alcohol rub sanitizers kill most bacteria, and fungi, and stop some viruses.  

Actually recent studies have shown that alcohol based sanitizers do not work in most cases because you have to leave them wet on your hands for 5 minutes to be effective.

As mentioned above 41 additional passengers have returned positive tests from the original pool of people tested bringing the number up to 61.  They are all being evacuated to hospitals.  According to multiple newspaper reports:

"Japan’s Health Minister Katsunobu Kato said Thursday that the quarantine would not “in principle” be extended, but he has not ruled out testing more people."

If you have been shut in your cabin for 14 days and show no signs of being sick you should be okay to disembark.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Actually recent studies have shown that alcohol based sanitizers do not work in most cases because you have to leave them wet on your hands for 5 minutes to be effective.

When I went on Princess recently they had hand washing with soap and hot water at the food court but hand sanitizers at the dining rooms.

8 minutes ago, need_a_holiday said:

When I went on Princess recently they had hand washing with soap and hot water at the food court but hand sanitizers at the dining rooms.

Yes and the effective one is the one in the buffet. Was there a jester in the court?  😉 On the Grand they have one directing people to wash hands.

It looks like Japan is sending a signal that it doesn’t want the 61 cases on board to be counted in the Japan numbers so an “other” category has been created and at 61 is the second highest in the world after China

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?source=122648#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

• Like 3

Or perhaps they have the same stewards or servers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The ones who have tested positive were in the original group of around 260 who were suspicious of having the virus based on symptoms and contact. They weren’t exposed to the virus in the last couple of days. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cnssu123 said:

Japan has self flushing toilets in many places. Their public restrooms are very well maintained cleaned

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Viv0828 said:

Some articles I read said the virus can't live long outside the host that is why you need to be close enough to catch it but then on the plane that took the Aussies out of Wuhan they installed medical grade filters and had the air changed every 5 minutes. 

To the OP... as this post is a few days old, it might be too late but I would be happy to forfeit my $1000.00 given the one of the alternatives is death, or at minimum the risk of being sick. 
There’s two places to get sick, visiting hospitals and schools. Now it looks like Cruise ships need to be added to the list. Think about it, unlike an airplane where exposure is over a limited time, where a cruise ship gives you exposure for several days, even weeks. 
So I say the choice is really a no brainer. 
Sorry to be a negative Nelly. 

Glenn

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Grburkart said:

To the OP... as this post is a few days old, it might be too late but I would be happy to forfeit my $1000.00 given the one of the alternatives is death, or at minimum the risk of being sick. 
There’s two places to get sick, visiting hospitals and schools. Now it looks like Cruise ships need to be added to the list. Think about it, unlike an airplane where exposure is over a limited time, where a cruise ship gives you exposure for several days, even weeks. 
So I say the choice is really a no brainer. 
Sorry to be a negative Nelly. 

Glenn

Im not sure I’d factor death into anything unless you had significant other health issues. And smokers seem to be particularly at risk. Most outside of China are making a full recovery. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Im not sure I’d factor death into anything unless you had significant other health issues. And smokers seem to be particularly at risk. Most outside of China are making a full recovery. 

That's an interesting observation. China has a very high percentage of smokers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matadams4u said:

It looks like Japan is sending a signal that it doesn’t want the 61 cases on board to be counted in the Japan numbers so an “other” category has been created and at 61 is the second highest in the world after China

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?source=122648#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

3C3E2585-D3A7-4EE9-8C55-BD05E19E3C56.jpeg