Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
gvre

Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, alirat153 said:

Ok you didnt read my post, or you disagree with what I said. I can't see the point of further discussion.

 

 

My first post an hour or so ago :”Yes, but people (thousands of people in every country) die from the influenza every year. The only difference with this epidemic is that there is no immunisation to prevent it. That is the only reason why this epidemic is getting the media headlines and is regarded as more significant. The flu virus mutates every year and that is why we need a new jab every year.. As far as the death rate in China versus the rest of the world - currently the stats speak for themselves. “
 

Yes. On your last point I agree. 

Edited by Pushka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alirat153 said:

@Pushka  Trolling 101 - edit posts after person foolishly tries to argue. I'm done.

good call... breath in, breath out, move on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alirat153 said:

The incubation period is 2-12 days in which time the person is infectious before showing symptoms, so the spread is alarming.


Last time I checked there wasn’t much confirmed data on the asymptomatic spread. One of the early documented cases turned out to be a situation where the woman was taking cold meds, and no one had talked to her about it directly to ask if she was feeling symptoms.

 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/paper-non-symptomatic-patient-transmitting-coronavirus-wrong

 

I’m willing to look at case studies that are newer than Jan 30 if you have them. 

Edited by perditax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, generichandle said:

I do not think so. I think they are giving 100% back to passenger, PLUS 50% extra as a future cruise credit. Good comp, especially if they can include air expenses.

The refund of the fare is a direct payment not an FCC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alirat153 said:

@Pushka  Trolling 101 - edit posts after person foolishly tries to argue. I'm done.

Ha. The only thing I added was that getting an effective vaccine was a priority right now. And I’m editing this post, to say I also added bolding to another statement. 
 

A troll is not someone who simply doesn’t agree with you, otherwise you would have that label because you were the first to disagree with my original post. And  I have no problems at all with people offering different opinions. That’s what makes us learn. 

Edited by Pushka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Pushka said:

And this is concerning 

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/07/803843303/on-cruise-ship-quarantined-in-japan-any-new-cases-would-reset-the-isolation-cloc

 

I don’t know the reliability of the source. I hope it’s wrong. 

Actually the Japanese Ministry of Health did not say new cases would reset the clock, they said unforeseen circumstances.

 

Since all passengers are confined in quarantine any new cases shouldn't affect any other passengers so shouldn't affect the current quarantine period.

 

An unforeseen circumstance might be passengers breaking quarantine and rebelling, or something equally unexpected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

David just did another live video- apparently more passengers have reported a high temperature. 

Just finished watching that too.  So incredibly sad.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DivotMaker said:

Just finished watching that too.  So incredibly sad.  


according to WHO the clock resets now. I suspect press will start running the story. Bloody awful what they did to David’s family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Bloody awful what they did to David’s family.

Disgusting.   Shame on them.  

Edited by DivotMaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Actually the Japanese Ministry of Health did not say new cases would reset the clock, they said unforeseen circumstances.

 

Since all passengers are confined in quarantine any new cases shouldn't affect any other passengers so shouldn't affect the current quarantine period.

 

An unforeseen circumstance might be passengers breaking quarantine and rebelling, or something equally unexpected.


Hopefully all goes to plan then. 

 

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

David just did another live video- apparently more passengers have reported a high temperature. 


please no! High temps can mean several things though but which just adds to the confusion of it all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

However those comments were made in a phone interview and unfortunately we do not have the context within which those statements were made.  On the other hand the Japanese Minister of Health has direct control and he stated it would end on the 19th with no expectation to extend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, perditax said:


Last time I checked there wasn’t much confirmed data on the asymptomatic spread. One of the early documented cases turned out to be a situation where the woman was taking cold meds, and no one had talked to her about it directly to ask if she was feeling symptoms.

 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/paper-non-symptomatic-patient-transmitting-coronavirus-wrong

 

I’m willing to look at case studies that are newer than Jan 30 if you have them. 

The initial paper which was based upon an incident in Germany may not be correct in that the person there did have  some minor symptoms, just ones not associated with the illness such as a backache.  There have been other examples of apparent transfer without symptoms including one in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:


Bloody awful what they did to David’s family.

What did they do to David's family?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, npcl said:

However those comments were made in a phone interview and unfortunately we do not have the context within which those statements were made.  On the other hand the Japanese Minister of Health has direct control and he stated it would end on the 19th with no expectation to extend.

 

We do have the exact context of the WHO's comment. You obviously did not review what I posted and have made a lot of assumptions since. The NPR article I quoted included a link to the WHO's 36 minute news conference and thus the exact words that the WHO used. See my post #687 on the "Princess Ship & Corona Virus" thread. It is all there and yes, I quote again: "at the moment every time there is a new case the quarantine extends 14 days."

 

Here is the conference again. Go to the 22:30 minute mark.

 

Edited by bluesea321

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

David just did another live video- apparently more passengers have reported a high temperature. 

There could easily be more than the 61 confirmed cases already. Japanese authorities only tested the 273 people they believed were at most risk, but that doesn't mean that other passengers did not contract the virus from the original carrier. It is still within the 14 day incubation period so I feel there is likely to be more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

There could easily be more than the 61 confirmed cases already. Japanese authorities only tested the 273 people they believed were at most risk, but that doesn't mean that other passengers did not contract the virus from the original carrier. It is still within the 14 day incubation period so I feel there is likely to be more.

 

I agree.  There is no way to determine with certainty who came in contact with the original carrier.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The press invaded Davis family where they live - even send reporters to Davids pharmacy- for whatever reason- that really is beyond me.

Poor David- he starts to feel the downside of beeing so popular!

 

Flirting with the press is always a dangerous game, which can backfire.

 

Anyhow we can be gratefull for his updates from the ship.

I think it is terrific how he copes with the situation.

 

As he himself mentioned,  he and is dear wife are one of the fortunate ones- they are in mini suite with a nice large balcony- even though it is cold- so much better than those poor souls in the inside staterooms.

 

I have absolutley no idea how i could handle an inside cabin. I never booked one- but just the thought sends shivers down my spine!

Edited by Germancruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pushka said:

And this is concerning 

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/07/803843303/on-cruise-ship-quarantined-in-japan-any-new-cases-would-reset-the-isolation-cloc

 

I don’t know the reliability of the source. I hope it’s wrong. 


The WHO is now working with Japanese officials to devise a way to organize the passengers into cohorts, Ryan said. The idea is in smaller groups, fewer people would be affected when a new patient is identified.”

 

In other words they are looking at ways to minimize the whole “clock reset” effect. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, perditax said:


The WHO is now working with Japanese officials to devise a way to organize the passengers into cohorts, Ryan said. The idea is in smaller groups, fewer people would be affected when a new patient is identified.”

 

In other words they are looking at ways to minimize the whole “clock reset” effect. 

 


Perhaps one good thing to come out of this is the learnings of how to manage this for future cruises. 
 

Is anyone else being bombarded with emails from cruise lines about special deals (that in the fine details just aren’t?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

 

We do have the exact context of the WHO's comment. You obviously did not review what I posted and have made a lot of assumptions since. The NPR article I quoted included a link to the WHO's 36 minute news conference and thus the exact words that the WHO used. See my post #687 on the "Princess Ship & Corona Virus" thread. It is all there and yes, I quote again: "at the moment every time there is a new case the quarantine extends 14 days."

 

Here is the conference again. Go to the 22:30 minute mark.

 

To me, it looks like WHO and the Japanese Health authorities are not singing from the same hymn sheet. WHO is saying the 14 day quarantine re-sets when new cases are uncovered (they, why are they isolated in quarantine!!) while the Japanese authorities are saying the quarantine ends on 19th February unless there are unforeseen events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not being the bearer of "bad" news... But according to Twitter, hearing of 3 additional cases for a total of 64 cases on the Diamond Princess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...