Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

wonder how many of the crew will just say … i'm done when they are finally allowed off the ship ?

prolly not many ...

Well Princess will need to compensate them in a big way for this hazardous duty....these are considered good jobs for many that are working onboard but this is a one in a million situation.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2020 at 11:02 AM, elliair said:

Summary:
  • Virus death toll surpasses SARS (total: 813)
  • New cases confirmed in UK, Spain, Singapore
  • Passengers aboard 'Diamond Princess' warn authorities aren't doing enough to protect them - and others
  • Officials in Shenzen say they won't block Foxxconn factory reopening
  • Cruise ship quarantined in Hong Kong allowed to leave after 4 days

Zero hedge links?  SMH.    "The sky is falling, the sky is falling" :classic_rolleyes:

Anyway, as for comparing this to SARS, yes there have been more deaths, but there have been MANY more infected.  SARS infected just over 8,000 people, as compared to 43,000+ currently for coronavirus.  And, yes, more people have died with the current virus, BUT the mortality rate is still at about 2% (2.4% to be exact), whereas SARS was 9.6%.

And, yes, I know, when talking in percentages, the larger the infected group, there are more people are dying.  For now, it's a good thing this is not like SARS, because there appears to be a much better chance of survival with coronavirus than with SARS, even with the large number of people infected.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, perditax said:

I liked your post, but no reason to give that conspiracy site more screen time and name recognition. 

Agreed.  I cannot even open those links at work because it trips the filter for spam/inappropriate websites. And we're able to open FB, Insta, and other social media sites here.

4 hours ago, pablo222 said:

West China Medical Center -- 4300 beds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_China_Medical_Center

Here is a list of the largest hospitals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_hospitals

I stand corrected. But again, I am an American doctor and practice in the states. Idk what practicing medicine is like in china. 

But my point still stands. Admitting all 3.5k pts to a hosp or network of hosp is a huge undertaking for anyone. Not to mention the language barrier. That at a minimum make any admission or pt interaction x2 as long. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Zero hedge links?  SMH.    "The sky is falling, the sky is falling" :classic_rolleyes:

Anyway, as for comparing this to SARS, yes there have been more deaths, but there have been MANY more infected.  SARS infected just over 8,000 people, as compared to 43,000+ currently for coronavirus.  And, yes, more people have died with the current virus, BUT the mortality rate is still at about 2% (2.4% to be exact), whereas SARS was 9.6%.

And, yes, I know, when talking in percentages, the larger the infected group, there are more people are dying.  For now, it's a good thing this is not like SARS, because there appears to be a much better chance of survival with coronavirus than with SARS, even with the large number of people infected.

Hard to say right now. Tons of 30 yo ended up on the vent during SARS. That was before my time, but I hear other docs in the hosp talking about how scary it was that 30 yo otherwise healthy were dying. 

And CDC says 2.1% mortality for Coronavirus. IDK how many ppl are ending up on the vent for the coronavirus. 

11 minutes ago, perditax said:

Link?

that has been a concern...I think it was Reuters that reported that those quarantined WITH someone that has tested positive will be held longer but in general Feb. 19 is still the exit date for most. No consistent word on whether each and every passenger will be tested before allowed to leave. That would be the best thing given incubation and how many cases were on board but don't know.

15 minutes ago, perditax said:

Link?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7990503/Australians-board-coronavirus-stricken-Diamond-Princess-cruise-ship-urge-PM-help.html

"While many can disembark on February 19, those who came in close contact with confirmed coronavirus sufferers on board will have to wait until a fortnight since the interaction" quoting from the bottom of the article. So that ship is down for months potentially.

• Like 2

Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergies and Infections Diseases at the US National Institutes of Health, is currently on NPR's show 1A.  It's very interesting.  If you can't tune in now, I'm sure you can download it from your local NPR station.

1 hour ago, dog said:

Too much is unknown about this virus. I did not say to take them off ship, did I?

You said "this is spreading on the ship" with no proof of your conjecture. That was the point - this is a guess on your part not a factual statement.

Edited by frugaltravel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Potstech said:

Because Japan,  who controls the port, will not let anyone depart the ship until cleared by doctors.   

If China allowed Americans to fly out of Wuhan, who is Japan to say no?  If America wants its citizens out of that ship, the citizens will be out of that ship.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

If China allowed Americans to fly out of Wuhan, who is Japan to say no?  If America wants its citizens out of that ship, the citizens will be out of that ship.  

Japan is a sovereign nation they can refuse to allow the passengers to enter Japan.  If the US (or other country) really wants to get citizens off the ship the need to send a boat.  Transfer the passengers onto the boat directly and then sail them home or fly them from an aircraft carrier or seaplane.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

No. That is not how it works. Short of the US invading Japan they are not going to force the Japanese to allow quarantined people into their country.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, dog said:

You said "this is spreading on the ship" with no proof of your conjecture. That was the point - this is a guess on your part not a factual statement.

There's no evidence that its spreading further no new cases as far as I'm aware in the last 24 hours. There have been reports that more doctors and nurses are being taken on board but in the UK press this seems to be in response to concerns about passengers with pre existing conditions and elderly passengers who need medical care NOT the corona virus. It could also be that they are going to start testing everyone as well which would need a lot of medical staff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actual non-bickering news:

From another thread: apparently there are moves to remove elderly persons from the ship. It's not clear where they'll go.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/11/national/science-health/japan-elderly-leave-quarantined-diamond-princess-cruise-ship/

"The government is planning to allow elderly passengers as well as those with chronic illnesses to leave the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship soon, possibly on Tuesday, a source familiar with the matter said."

Edited by perditax

5 minutes ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

Why not?   We don't have much of a country if our citizens are on their own when they get into trouble.   

It is my understanding that private citizens paid dearly for the evacuation flight out of Wuhan.

Our citizens are not "in trouble." They are being quarantined for 2 weeks. Well-fed and cared for. Even if you considered this a "hostage situation" (which it isn't), the US doesn't negotiate with hostages. 

Let them wait out the 2 weeks then see what happens. No rush for the government to step in. BTW name one thing the government does more efficiently and better than the private sector 😀.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

BTW name one thing the government does more efficiently and better than the private sector 😀

Military, roads, fire service, libraries, schools, delivery service of documents (stamp is way less expensive than least expensive UPS or Fedex option) mass transit, there are more....but that is more than one.

Also governments that have national health care systems provide better services at lower overall cost than countries where it is mostly private.

Edited by ed01106
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

Aside from the sovereign nation issues already noted, this is an apples to oranges comparison.   Those Americans were already in China and were no greater risk that millions of others. China was overwhelmed with patients and it was in both countries best interested to quarantine (and care for if necessary) the Americans in the US. The Chinese did not allow the last plane in until the US agreed to use it to bring in supplies.    These cruise individuals are not yet in Japan and Japan is trying very hard to protect their citizens. Those that are ill are being allowed into Japan for isolation in a hospital.  Right now Japan is able and willing to handle the situation.   Also, the passengers from a China were charged for their flight.  

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

And who would be paying for this? My guess is that most Americans on the cruise ship wouldn't want or have the funds to pay for it. Most travel insurances wouldn't pay for it. It certainly isn't fair for taxpayers to bear this cost. That doesn't leave many options.

Well, here you are “guessing” .

So let’s just say it was my guess that The virus is continuing to spread on the ship. There is too much unknown at this point. 

• Like 1