Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

13 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

the above message is extremely concerning....clearly they are having a hard time keeping up with all the reports...this man needs to go to a hospital with symptoms like that...could be anything. Not swabbed yet? Two days ago? Oh I imagine there is so much going on we don't know.  

From what they posted, doctors (plural) have seen John. I don't know what else could be done for him in hospital. He might be more comfortable where he is, for now. If his symptoms worsen, they will undoubtedly send him to hospital, as the other 175 people have been.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

Here is a news item about an Australian passenger who was taken to hospital:

The infected Australian woman was taken off the ship on February 7 with few symptoms, but she said she began sneezing soon after she arrived at hospital.

"I've definitely got a head cold. My head's all blocked up. At home I'd be taking some paracetamol and just getting on with my day."

Despite her minor symptoms, Japanese hospital staff are checking her every two hours.

"They're in here … checking on my pulse, checking on my blood pressure, taking the temperature and just keeping a really good eye on me," she said.

"I feel safe here, which is great."

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

That's interesting. The only dates I have read are that 'passenger 0' was in China on 10th January and that he flew to Tokyo on the 17th and had a cough on the 19th. He was on the ship from the 20th to the 25th. He went to a doctor on the 30th. I have seen no reference to his medical condition after that.

When you say "back in the office" who would that be?

The Quarantine person who just tested positive. Which of course could have nothing to do with contamination from the ship. 

4 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

That is not correct but believe as you wish. The transmission mechanism has not been definitively established.

From the CDC itself:

Much is unknown about how 2019-nCoV spreads.

It’s currently unclear if a person can get 2019-nCoV by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.

There is much more to learn about the transmissibility, severity, and other features associated with 2019-nCoV and investigations are ongoing.

This is important to note.  I am pretty certain this incident will turn into a very interesting case study.  For those arguing over perspectives - let me share my experience at the University of Chicago working my way through college in the morgue at Billings Hospital with two of the most noted pathologists in the country at the time (1977 to 1978).  One became the coroner for Chicago and one became the head of pathology at UCSF.

There were procedures in place for handling contagious cases and I can assure you these procedures would now be considered primitive.  However, both had written papers with completely opposite protocols on how to handle contagious cases.  Of course, since my job was the one with the most patient contact - I was the one at the most risk and I had to follow the protocol of the supervising pathologist.

Even among experts there are diverging views on things and this experience will open up studies examining any number of aspects.  Quite frankly, many of the disagreements on this thread will probably be examined in the months and possibly years to come.  Fortunately, I never contracted anything except the lesson of understanding that even experts disagree and can be very passionate about their viewpoints.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Reading this thread continues to distress me.  Part because the situation itself sounds so difficult on passengers and crew, and part because the limited information available lets anyone and everyone form and furiously defend their own halfcocked interpretations.  Even the people I mostly agree with sometimes speak in absolutes that I find unrealistic and somewhat naive.  

I can only hope that the data collected from this unfortunate situation will be helpful to the global fight to contain and mitigate the effects of this outbreak.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kenswing said:

Has it been stated whether or not the Japanese health official worked with the other quarantined people that Japan repatriated from China?  Is it possible that he had it prior to boarding the Diamond Princess?

It was reported that the quarantine officer was collecting questionnaires from passengers on board. He was wearing gloves and a mask. He self isolated himself so hopefully there were no others affected. That is all the information given to date.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Getting a lawsuit in Japan is next to impossible. A Japanese town who proved a company was dumping mercury in their bay still didn't have a right to sue for damages. The Japan court system is extremely beauracratic, you would have to work at it for decades to get anything from them. I think most passengers would rather move on with their lives then be intangled in some decade long legal battle. On top of that the legal is always biased to the Japanese side so any foreigner who does manage to get a lawsuit started is unlikely to win.

IMHO a law suit would probably be dismissed by a court anywhere in the world. Quarantine is a long established procedure and is considered a defense under admiralty and maritime law. IANL Just what I picked up from lawyers I have known, etc

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

At this point, I wonder if the quarantine is more to keep the passengers from possibly infecting anyone on shore, rather than those on board.  It's as if the Japanese government is more than willing to sacrifice all 3,700 people on board to this virus and let the chips fall where they may. 

Ummm that is exactly what a quarantine is and does.  It is designed to protect the overall public from a contagious disease.  In this case, Japan does not want those individuals on board infecting people in Japan - and then having the disease spread even further.   The object is to contain the virus and unfortunately, in this case that means those on board have to suffer through this for the greater good.  

This concept is why China has quarantined entire cities - or welded shut apartment buildings where someone is infected.  They are trying to contain it and stop it from spreading.  And unfortunately, if that means some suffer because of it, the alternative is far worse

• Like 2

todays breakfast this arrived hot so not sure if it indicates still being made on board  or if not must be catering set up alongside the ship.

The passenger posting has been upbeat bout her tone seemed more dispondent today and they are on a suite with a balcony

They have stated they are getting 9.30 am cookies and evening soda deliveries and think that staff should cut this extra task

4 hours ago, Maverick61 said:

Ummm that is exactly what a quarantine is and does.  It is designed to protect the overall public from a contagious disease.  In this case, Japan does not want those individuals on board infecting people in Japan - and then having the disease spread even further.   The object is to contain the virus and unfortunately, in this case that means those on board have to suffer through this for the greater good.  

This concept is why China has quarantined entire cities - or welded shut apartment buildings where someone is infected.  They are trying to contain it and stop it from spreading.  And unfortunately, if that means some suffer because of it, the alternative is far worse

I initially could not understand why exposed staff were not isolated like the passengers, and allowed to continue making food.  How can you call this an effective quarantine?   Now it all makes sense, a quarantine for Japan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I initially could not understand why exposed staff were not isolated like the passengers, and allowed to continue making food.  How can you call this an effective quarantine?   Now it all makes sense, a quarantine for Japan.

A quarantine for the good of the entire planet. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, aflyboi22 said:

I just hope if they start letting certain "groups" of passengers off the ship, that people leave.  David said today they are staying the entire quarantine until Feb 19th even if told they could leave tomorrow.  This is just silly thinking.  I know they are gaining a following, but when anyone is offered to disembark...take the chance.  You never know when/if the Japanese government changes it to a longer quarantine.

What’s having a following got to do with anything? 
They are considering the overall good for everyone, not just themselves.

Admirable in my opinion 

• Like 3

I'm focused on how the folks taken off the ship because they tested positive for the virus are doing.  My assumption is that they are getting excellent medical care...the same care we would get in the US, should we catch the corona virus here. 

Does the level of medical care and the quick identification of infection reduce/eliminate the loss of life due to the corona virus.  

175 cases reported on the ship....no (reported) deaths!  The risk of infection is definitely high, the risk of death....well, we don't know in the population folks here care about......cruise passengers who contract the virus and get good medical care.  I am hopeful that while very serious risk of contagion, the risk of death is as low as the "normal" flu IN OUR ENVIRONMENT.  What happens in China and their hospitals does not necessarily represent "our" cruising world. 

As far as the ship.....there is zero chance it will be scrapped and/or sold.  It will be cleaned and put back in service....and all those who say "I'll never sail on that ship" and others will likely get some deals on the first sailings.....and after the first sailing or maybe two, everyone will flock back to the ship as if this never happened....even those who say "never".

Let's try to keep the fear at a reasonable level....

• Like 2

This is all I know for certain.

I do not envy anyone involved with this. Not the passengers on board. Not the crew. Not the Princess executives trying to figure out what the heck to do. Not the doctors and nurses hoping to keep people healthy. And not the Japanese government faced with balancing the health needs of everyone on board and on shore. The weight put on all these people’s shoulders is crazy. 

Now... is anyone else confused by the pictures of food? I’m not talking about the confusion about who is preparing it. But some passengers (assuming no one is faking it) are posting pictures of packages things like cup of noodles. And others like David Abel are showing menus and somewhat fancy prepared foods. Are people getting different food???

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LizNeedsAVacation said:

This is all I know for certain.

I do not envy anyone involved with this. Not the passengers on board. Not the crew. Not the Princess executives trying to figure out what the heck to do. Not the doctors and nurses hoping to keep people healthy. And not the Japanese government faced with balancing the health needs of everyone on board and on shore. The weight put on all these people’s shoulders is crazy. 

Now... is anyone else confused by the pictures of food? I’m not talking about the confusion about who is preparing it. But some passengers (assuming no one is faking it) are posting pictures of packages things like cup of noodles. And others like David Abel are showing menus and somewhat fancy prepared foods. Are people getting different food???

Here’s a photo of lunch from the couple I’m following on Reddit.  

8986ADA5-E057-4236-AAC1-B9C840A120FA.png

Edited by DivotMaker
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, perditax said:

Yikes.

Q: How are you taking care of the crew?

A: “Thoughts and prayers.”

If you’ve seen my posts you know I tend to err on the side of *not* engaging in FUD or hand-wringing, but their answer about how they’re taking care of the crew made my stomach drop. I know they’re used to working hard, but they’ve effectively been forced into the role of fulltime emergency biohazard workers. They need something more concrete than a long-distance spiritual advisor.

I'm quoting myself above so as to give credit where due for the following.

http://crew-center.com/diamond-princess-crew-get-two-months-paid-time

This is the kind of thing I meant, not better training and gear. 

Edited by perditax
  • Like 3