Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

8 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Somewhere I read that half the passengers are Japanese so I would assume the gratuties would have probably been included in their fare since they are non tipping culture. Though I do wonder will the staff get any compensation for working during quarantine?

The staff are on a contract so get the same amount every month, quarantine or not. Those who are part of the fleet-wide tips pool, get a guaranteed amount that would not be impacted by lower tips for a couple of weeks from one ship in the fleet.

(BTW, when I say 'fleet-wide' it does not include Australian-based ships that are not part of the tips pool.)

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Thanks 1

The ship is back at Yokohama according to David’s latest update. They may let some passengers on deck with masks. 10 more confirmed with virus. Total of 20 from ship. No room supplies or cleaning of rooms since quarantine. Uncertainty of how long this could go on. Maybe longer then 14 days, what happens after that? 

4 minutes ago, dog said:

The ship is back at Yokohama according to David’s latest update. They may let some passengers on deck with masks. 10 more confirmed with virus. Total of 20 from ship. No room supplies or cleaning of rooms since quarantine. Uncertainty of how long this could go on. Maybe longer then 14 days, what happens after that? 

If people are still testing positive after this latest announcement then I suspect the counter resets to zero. Possibly some countries might try getting their citizens out if if keeps rolling on? It has given me concerns about our cruise thankfully later as we could not risk being kept on board for an extra 14 days as we are self employed and have to get back. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, s433542 said:

Just received a notification from Princess Cruise that Diamond Princess cruise departing February 20, 2020 has been cancelled. (M006 & M006D)

All passengers will receive a full refund & 50% FCC.

Thanks for that info - I am on M009 meant to be departing 15th March.   I'm thinking more and more that I won't be going anywhere ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Pushka said:

If people are still testing positive after this latest announcement then I suspect the counter resets to zero. Possibly some countries might try getting their citizens out if if keeps rolling on? It has given me concerns about our cruise thankfully later as we could not risk being kept on board for an extra 14 days as we are self employed and have to get back. 

It may not if those that tested positive were among the original group suspected of having the virus. They would have been in quarantine like the rest of the passengers so no contact with anyone other than crew who, I assume, will be wearing masks, gloves etc. Thus they should not have affected the quarantine status.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It may not if those that tested positive were among the original group suspected of having the virus. They would have been in quarantine like the rest of the passengers so no contact with anyone other than crew who, I assume, will be wearing masks, gloves etc. Thus they should not have affected the quarantine status.

I agree that this is the likely scenario. The fact that ten more people have tested positive proves that it was essential to keep the passengers in quarantine in their cabins.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Good point. I’m sure that’s a great relief. I was thinking of a never ending countdown with every new positive but as you say, they’ve been isolated from the get go then that was indeed the good strategy. 

One can only wonder how far the numbers in China will go. Cannot believe some airlines are still flying into and out of China. 

David posted today inside cabin passengers are being allowed on deck for 1.5 hours per day must stay a distance apart wear masks. He can talk to neighbours on balconies but it is very cold outside 

• Like 3

I am booked on Diamond Princess, 28 February 2020, 8 days around Japan plus Okinawa and Taiwan.  Anyone else on this itinerary?  I am flying into Tokyo on 26 Feb, stay two nights at hotel in Shinagawa, Tokyo, all fees/fares paid for.  I have annual travel insurance policy, which covers I guess travel/hotel/cruise fares if cancelled by Princess, but not if by governmental act or regulation.  Not sure what cancellation policy is with respect to voluntary cancellation on D Princess, but insurance policy does not cover "disinclination to travel."

So, I guess I just will hang on and see what develops.  I am in a double occupancy room with my Japanese friend (also male), and if we separate into two cabins, extra cost is US$1,650 (meaning US$825 for each of us.)  If we can go, we would split up into two cabins for the extra cost. Hang on for two weeks to see what comes around.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

For those of you trying to imagine what it would be like in an inside cabin, this Australian  ABC news report includes pictures of a family of 4 quarantined in their inside cabin.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-06/coronavirus-outbreak-cruise-ship-diamond-princess-australians/11936102

My thoughts are with them. I don’t think I could cope.

i am curious about something. in general regarding all cruises that have english on the menus etc. how do the people who dont speak english even order from menus and stuff?  i had always assumed that if you travel on an english ship you would be able to communicate. personally id never go on a ship that wasnt  my native language or one i didnt speak. would scare me not to be able to read/communicate

8 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

i am curious about something. in general regarding all cruises that have english on the menus etc. how do the people who dont speak english even order from menus and stuff?  i had always assumed that if you travel on an english ship you would be able to communicate. personally id never go on a ship that wasnt  my native language or one i didnt speak. would scare me not to be able to read/communicate

Many restaurants have translated menus that are available upon request.  I assume cruise lines would as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, polmcs said:

{makes mental note to squirrel away the suite and elite mini bars on my next cruise just in case it ends up being “involuntarily extended” and they close off access to the bars!} 🙂

BEST2DG next cruise … agreed , will be many stops by both my wife and I to "stock up" on beers  and waters every time we walk by a bar … definitely max the "15" daily 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

I know RCI has the daily planner in several languages.  NCL the dining room has menu in other languages too. 

16 hours ago, brisalta said:

Seems like an ideal situation in which to give up smoking and improve ones health.

please try to be considerate - if somebody wants to stop doing something it should be voluntary (extra support would be really helpful)

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I absolutley do not see why anyone should remove their tipp- first of all it was given for the previous two weeks, which according to David Abel , was a terrific service. Secondly the staff is hit as hard - even more so as the passengers!

I thing Princess is handling the given situation exidingly well. That all is a first for them- as Mr. Abel so aptly mentioned!

The kit for the little ones is also a nice treat!

I am so glad for those in cabins without balcony that they can now- at least for little bit- get out in the fresh air!

This situtation is totaly without any doing of the cruise line!

While Princess appears to be handling the situation as best they can I disagree that at least some of this was not of their doing. The Virus has been known since late Dec. Other lines took precautions to help prevent the virus making it onto their ships.  Including cancelling cruises, ports of call and banning Chinese nationals and those that traveled to China from their ships. Princess did not.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, manunia said:

please try to be considerate - if somebody wants to stop doing something it should be voluntary (extra support would be really helpful)

As an ex-smoker, I can say that of course it has to be voluntary:  you have to want to quit.  But extra motivation like this can be helpful, too.  (I smoked for 22 years, and no one liked smoking more than me.  I have been smoke free for 33 years now.)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, V_icki_e said:

Thanks for that info - I am on M009 meant to be departing 15th March.   I'm thinking more and more that I won't be going anywhere ... 

We cancelled April 2nd  M011 aand MO12 and was charged 20%.

Also my flight cancellation cost me $400.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

While Princess appears to be handling the situation as best they can I disagree that at least some of this was not of their doing. The Virus has been known since late Dec. Other lines took precautions to help prevent the virus making it onto their ships.  Including cancelling cruises, ports of call and banning Chinese nationals and those that traveled to China from their ships. Princess did not.

I tend to agree and now after watching a few media reports I am seriously questioning the wisdom of containing 3700 passengers in a "container" of sorts rather than getting them off. I am sure the shear numbers are a big problem. From the continued spread I think it is now no longer a question of those that are off but spread from staff to passenger and passenger to staff. Germs are on dishes etc. and this is all just sitting in a big "container" mostly closed in with an a/c system circulating the air?  I don't know if Princess has any say in how this is going but I have to think the majority of the passengers are extremely concerned and helpless. I have to think many have to vents covered with anything they have. And of course those with balconies go outside only to share the air with their neighbors...whole thing a recipe for disaster...bet there are more cases reported today. AS of last night David reported no temps being taken other than that first one..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

I tend to agree and now after watching a few media reports I am seriously questioning the wisdom of containing 3700 passengers in a "container" of sorts rather than getting them off. I am sure the shear numbers are a big problem. From the continued spread I think it is now no longer a question of those that are off but spread from staff to passenger and passenger to staff. Germs are on dishes etc. and this is all just sitting in a big "container" mostly closed in with an a/c system circulating the air?  I don't know if Princess has any say in how this is going but I have to think the majority of the passengers are extremely concerned and helpless. I have to think many have to vents covered with anything they have. And of course those with balconies go outside only to share the air with their neighbors...whole thing a recipe for disaster...bet there are more cases reported today. AS of last night David reported no temps being taken other than that first one..

....with a transmission range for the infection reported by leading virologists as 200 feet!