Evening Chic - what do women REALLY wear these days?

NorthernLights45

What have women REALLY been wearing for "Evening Chic" nights on Celebrity cruises in 2019 & 2020? Need to pack light for my late spring 2020 Mediterranean cruise because of travel days before/after the cruise and do not have room for dresses/heels/other dressy clothes that will not get a lot of use.

Trying to figure out if there are workable solutions for blending in or if I will just have to skip "Evening Chic" nights. 

Have already read Celebrity's description of "evening chic", so no need to post that information. I'm most interested in how women have REALLY dressed recently on "Evening Chic" nights. Thanks!

I usually wear an easily packable longer skirt with a nice top.  You'll see everything from evening gowns to slacks.  I wear slacks on the other evenings, and skirts or a nice dress for evening chic.  There are definitely workable solutions even if you pack light 🙂

Edited by hiccups

You absolutely do not have to skip Evening Chic nights. Please don't overthink it or worry about it. You will see, as I have, all kinds of outfits. Personally, last cruise on EC night I wore a lilac blouse and dark (casual) pants, with black heels. I carried a wrap with me. Another time I wore a blue skirt, back top and blazer, and heels. Both times I felt pretty and my husband said he was proud to have me on his arm. 😊

You don't have to take heels along - maybe you are already taking some wedge sandals that will crossover for Chic night? You could pair them with a sundress or crinkle skirt, and some sparkly jewelry.

There are other suggestions on the Fashion board too. Have a great Med cruise!

• Like 3

I had a 19 day btb last fall in Italy,  Croatia. I had one black dress pant, two nicer tops. And I always wear flat shoes. I did bring a nicer purse too. Rest of evenings in MDR, I wore a more casual pant with less dressy tops. It seemed to me I was dressed appropriately. And laundry tool care of my needs.

• Like 2

Never worry about it!  I have no problem wearing nice jeans and a top (that is not a gym t-shirt).  Now we go to the Windjammer or specialty most nights just because we don't really care for the long dining time in the MDR... but even when we used to go to MDR most nights, I just didn't concern myself with what others thought.  I'm always clean and my clothes are in good shape.  Let everyone do what they feel best doing.  Comfort is the most important to me!

• Like 2

You do see a full range.  Personally I wear a full length under dress with a dressy top over.  I manage with one dress (its a light black sleeve like thing that packs down to nothing) and 2 sheer loose tops one for each formal night. (one goes twice if there are 3 but most Med cruises only have 2)   Plus jewellery etc.  But you see everything and you won't be out of place unless you are still in swimwear (seen that too...).  You can jazz up something with a wrap or jewellery or a single glitzy jacket if you want to - but don't feel under any pressure.  It isn't a competition and no-one will judge.  (Or if they do it is thier problem and not yours!)

11 hours ago, NorthernLights45 said:

What have women REALLY been wearing for "Evening Chic" nights on Celebrity cruises in 2019 & 2020?

Just about anything and everything  You will likely see an entire range of style possibilities from one extreme to the other.  Lots of variety, with most passengers tending to dress somewhere in the middle.

As for shoes, it is usually the younger women who wear stilettos, while most female cruise passengers tend to choose more practical, comfortable shoes for an evening on a rocking cruise ship.

The mix of clothing styles seen in the dining rooms can change from hour to hour, especially in select dining as different people come and go throughout the evening, 

When Evening Chic was first introduced back in 2015,  it was described as an opportunity for people to dress to express their individuality, not for everyone to dress alike.

Hope you wear whatever makes you happy and comfortable.

Have a wonderful cruise!

The range of outfits go from casual to black tie dressy.

We were on a 5 week trip back in November/December where we were in varied locations & climates - California, Cruise ship, and Japan.We packed light each taking a backpack and rolling carry on suit case.

9 days of the trip was the Coastal California cruise.

I had a lot of black with me (pants, tops, light open cardigan, and flats) and changed things up with shawls (easy to pack & multipurpose) and jewelry (easy to pack & does not take up too much room). I did not feel out of place nor did I feel I was wearing the same out fit over & over. 

• Like 1

First, don't skip the evening- bring clothes and enjoy!  Always special on chic night.  Have sailed on three Celebrity cruises in the past 9 months.  People still dress- perhaps not long gowns and tux's, but cocktail attire- ladies in dresses, fancy slacks and tops.  Men typically sports shirts, ties or bow ties, jackets, some suits and dinner jackets and  dressy loafers or boat shoes-  

Most guest do make an effort to dress- Never understood why people think dressy clothes take up so much more room in luggage then non dressy clothes- and if so, take another piece of luggage.  Actually, ladies silk pants weigh less then jeans.  As do silk blouses.   

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Just returned from a b2b on Reflection- 7 and 10 night. Caribbean. 

DH did not bring a suit and I did not bring formal dresses. 

On the 7 night the demographic was younger. Fewer pax over age 65 to 70. Many young couples a number of babies and young children . Very few dressed formally. 

On the 10 night a much older demographic and many more people dressed formally. BUT it truly varied from gowns and tuxedos to very casual pants and polos or shirts for men and capris/slacks/skirts and tops for ladies or a dress for ladies - nothing fancy. 

I love shoes, shawls and evening bags. Most nights I wore designer jeans (white, white with embroidery, blue jeans with leather trim), capris and a nice top.  Hubby wore khakis and long or short sleeve shirts. I brought one casual dress with a shrug. 

We never felt out of place in the dining room. We really enjoyed the flexibility of NOT doing formal.  Reflection had more tables for two than we have ever seen on a ship! It was great! I have severe food allergies so always request a table for two. You may be in close proximity to the next table but still lots of tables for two. 

The only person turned away from the dining room one night was politely asked to change from his baseball cap, shorts and flip flops into long pants, shoes and no hat. No one seemed to care what anyone was wearing. Please don’t worry.  Do what makes you feel comfortable. We loved the more relaxed feel with Celebrity!

Dee

I like to bring a simple black dress (or other solid neutral like navy or cream).... one that I can dress up or down. For chic nights toss on a statement necklace and a sheer sparkly scarf/shawl. For a less dressy night add a fun colorful scarf and multicolored bracelet or clutch. If you're not a dress person, another option is black pants (can be dressed up or down) and tops. For shoes I like a kitten heel sandal in black. Great with the dress OR the pants. 

Seriously, though... don't overthink it, and don't fret about it. Anything you would wear out to dinner or to a day wedding is perfect.

10 hours ago, Oville said:

We either eat in Luminae, Blu or a Specialty Restaurant on Chic night and I wear pants and a nice top.  I’ve never felt out of place. 

Just to point out, evening chic night does not apply to Luminae, Blu or the Specialty Restaurants which are smart casual every night of the cruise, only applies in  the MDR.   

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

I’ve only cruised in the Caribbean so far, and I’ve worn light summer dresses for evening chic nights (and most the other nights). I bring flats that I can wear with the dresses or with jeans, khakis, or capris. Rothy’s are easy to pack and worked great on my last cruise. 

For Equinox I brought 2 dresses and one pair of shoes and a bag that I used every evening.  The blue dress was especially light to pack and neither wrinkles.

i felt very good in the dresses and enjoyed dressing up.  I have lost 25 lbs and hadn’t bought dress up in a long time.  My husband and adult son wore sport jackets and one tie, one with open collar.  

The above posts are correct in that you don’t have to get very dressed up and I can’t say I really noticed what others were wearing except that everyone looked nice.  I’m past years, I’ve gone less dressy with Chico’s separates.  

Just enjoy and don’t be concerned.

Linda

3534A6EB-6153-4E2E-960E-B921A81FFA94.jpeg

485A3C84-76FA-4483-B946-2950215D944C.jpeg

C08DE5B9-1960-4E91-81D3-3A58E9AA97E9.jpeg

Edited by true45

I love to wear simple, lightweight dresses on a cruise. I'll wear a black dress two nights on a 7 night cruise, and take 4-5 other dresses. I find they take up less room than pants and shirts, are simpler than having to match outfits, and they don't wrinkle! Plus if I gain a couple pounds, they are still comfortable, unlike pants that would be too snug in the waist by day 4!

I put my dresses in the suitcase still on the hangers, stacked on top of each other, and fold them over once. They go straight into the cabin closet when I get there - easy peasy! 

All that said, to each her own on what you prefer. Just don't try to tell me dresses take up more room than pants and tops! 🙂

• Like 2