Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
dmccadden

regal casino smoking

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, thisislou said:

Yes...on the two formal night they do request no smoking

It helps a bit but you can still smell it no matter what. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, thisislou said:

Yes...on the two formal night they do request no smoking

It is frustrating because there was one year where they did the no smoking every other night pretty much.  It is about the last bastion for open smoking, so perhaps one day it too will fall.  

 

That said, the last time on Regal (Nov 2019) the entire starboard side was non-smoking as that is where all the gaming tables are, including the poker table, plus some of the slots.  Only the port side (~1/3???) which is all slots, allowed smoking.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

It is frustrating because there was one year where they did the no smoking every other night pretty much.  It is about the last bastion for open smoking, so perhaps one day it too will fall.  

 

That said, the last time on Regal (Nov 2019) the entire starboard side was non-smoking as that is where all the gaming tables are, including the poker table, plus some of the slots.  Only the port side (~1/3???) which is all slots, allowed smoking.

 

Smoking is not allowed at any table games on Princess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

It helps a bit but you can still smell it no matter what. 

Yes, people may follow smoking area regulations, but smoke doesn't, and once it is in the upholstery or other soft goods, there's no getting it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel sorry for the crew that has to work there every day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's a pipe dream, so to speak, but I'd love to see a ship that's completely non-smoking, and another that's openly smoking on the same itinerary. Crew could be assigned accordingly, and passengers could choose. 

 

There are completely non-smoking hotels these days, so maybe it will be possible to have non-smoking ships someday. I had once read that the new Virgin line was going to be non-smoking, but it appears that was false information. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I know it's a pipe dream, so to speak, but I'd love to see a ship that's completely non-smoking, and another that's openly smoking on the same itinerary. Crew could be assigned accordingly, and passengers could choose. 

 

There are completely non-smoking hotels these days, so maybe it will be possible to have non-smoking ships someday. I had once read that the new Virgin line was going to be non-smoking, but it appears that was false information. 

Carnival tried a non smoking ship 20ish years ago, but lasted only about 5 years as they said that non smokers tended to drink and gamble less (I personally see lots of non smoking drinkers and gamblers on ships,) plus group bookings were lower.  If you were a group that wanted to book a cruise and you had a smoker - well probably not going to book a non smoking ship.

 

Non smoking hotels are easier to manage since if you want to have a smoke simple leave the hotel to do so.  Hard to leave a ship when it's at sea! 😎  That being said, being a non smoker myself I wouldn't mind smoking being restricted to a single section outside the ship - sorry smokers 😄 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SharkieRools said:

Carnival tried a non smoking ship 20ish years ago, but lasted only about 5 years as they said that non smokers tended to drink and gamble less (I personally see lots of non smoking drinkers and gamblers on ships,) plus group bookings were lower.  If you were a group that wanted to book a cruise and you had a smoker - well probably not going to book a non smoking ship.

 

Non smoking hotels are easier to manage since if you want to have a smoke simple leave the hotel to do so.  Hard to leave a ship when it's at sea! 😎  That being said, being a non smoker myself I wouldn't mind smoking being restricted to a single section outside the ship - sorry smokers 😄 

That makes sense. However, as smoking numbers decline, I still hold out hope that it might be possible someday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MamaFej said:

That makes sense. However, as smoking numbers decline, I still hold out hope that it might be possible someday. 

Possibly one day, just wondering which cruise line will take the risk first 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SharkieRools said:

Possibly one day, just wondering which cruise line will take the risk first 

It wold be a big selling point for me, and I imagine for others as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a smoker I need to reply here that at least 95% of the ship is non smoking.  The casino has non smoking nights and the casinos are empty.  There are large non smoking areas in all the ship’s’ casinos.

I too would love to see non smoking cruise  lines so I don’t have to listen to complainers stomp on my passenger rights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think part of the problem with the situation on Royal/Regal is that the casino is so much smaller than on the older ships (where, granted, casinos were probably way too large with lots of open space).  The slots are crammed together so that the stools for slots practically touch, back to back, with those on opposite side of "aisle".  And the game tables are very close to each other and very near the slots, so even if they don't allow smoking at the tables there's still a lot of "ambient" smoke wafting towards the tables.  After our first cruise on the Royal I couldn't understand how Princess could go from one extreme (too much open space) to the other (hardly any room to move around).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the casino every evening, never seen the casino empty on formal nights where there is no smoking.  I deleted a sentence I put in about Regal and Royal, and yes, some machines seem close together.

 

Don't want to argue but stomping on your rights, seriously?

Edited by susancruzs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All Carnival group ships based from Australia have NO SMOKING EVERY NIGHT in Casino   this is great and obviously their winnings (the company's) have increased

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our local casino tried to go nonsmoking when they remodeled many years ago.  Their revenues fell so fast, the casino backtracked and reopened the smoking sections.

 

Several cruise lines have tried the nonsmoking ships, they couldn't fill the rooms, the casino income fell.  And we all know what happened, smoking allowed again.

 

I AM a smoker.  I smoke where I am allowed and nowhere else.  We have less than 5% of the ship to smoke.  I'm not going to apologize for smoking and expect the same from the nonsmokers.

 

Rant over!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spyro1952 said:

As a smoker I need to reply here that at least 95% of the ship is non smoking.  The casino has non smoking nights and the casinos are empty.  There are large non smoking areas in all the ship’s’ casinos.

I too would love to see non smoking cruise  lines so I don’t have to listen to complainers stomp on my passenger rights.

 

Since when was smoking a right?

 

Is it a right to pollute the air?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a smoker but smoke doesn't bother me a great deal but heavy perfume sends me into a sneezing fit.  Do they have the right to pollute the air?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The local senior bus trips I've taken puts notices in their pre-trip info about heavy cologne, perfumes as many people have issues, I do, too.  I love flowers but not strong ones and cannot go in a candle shop!

 

The smoke issue will always go on, however, I don't think behavior that has an impact on others as a "right".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see a problem with a specified outdoor area for smoking.  I wish all lines would just adopt no smoking indoors - i.e. casinos.  In that case, the casinos would not be empty (they aren't empty on formal days anyway).  Too much of the time, people come in just to smoke in the day.  If all nights were no smoking, the gamblers will still come since there is no waiting until the next day.  If all lines were the same, like hotel chains are now, then I don't see a business impact.  Hotels aren't crying for guests due to no smoking policy indoors. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a former smoker.  It always seemed to me that the most vocal non-smokers were the ex-smokers.  I can't list all the times when I would be accosted by someone who doesn't even know me and insult me for being a smoker.  What makes me laugh is all of these outdoor parks that have banned smoking but they still provide charcoal grills at every picnic table.  I rather be in a closed room with cigarette smoke rather than burning charcoal briquets.  Banning smoking in those parks is clearly not being done for health interests while they still allow charcoal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...