News on the Westerdam

dillpickle48

7 hours ago, Level six said:

Viv0828, at least we did not board because we knew this would happen.  The ship would end up floating in the sea. 

With so many people leaving Wuhan to HK right before the ship docked there, it will be a miracle if no one on board is infected.  We we see in the next few days in the 2-14 incubation period.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/time-for-a-reality-check-america-the-flu-is-a-much-bigger-threat-than-coronavirus-for-now/2020/01/31/46a15166-4444-11ea-b5fc-eefa848cde99_story.html

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Edited by colbe

5 minutes ago, colbe said:

Got the flu shot.  I am a health professional and I know the risks.  I did research in college in microbiology and am co author on 2 papers published in the American Society of Microbiology Journal.  

I have been on a cruise that missed all but one port, it is no fun.  

I am just adding to the conversation, not saying I know the future.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Level six said:

Viv0828, at least we did not board because we knew this would happen.  The ship would end up floating in the sea. 

With so many people leaving Wuhan to HK right before the ship docked there, it will be a miracle if no one on board is infected.  We we see in the next few days in the 2-14 incubation period.  

The ship has not ended up "floating in the sea" as you claimed it would. See post 17 for the revised ports.

• Like 1

I was supposed to be on the cruise, I have all the revised ports.  They missed the first port of Manila due to Manila not allowing them to dock. 

Like I said, I am not predicting the future, just saying so far they missed the first port.  But it looks like they might be docked in Taiwan.  I hope they don't end up just floating at sea for the passengers that are on it. 

We will see.    

Edited by Level six
  • Thanks 1

Our friends who are on the Westerdam (SailingDutchy) emailed us - I should say, we just received an email from them, I guess they must have bought some internet time on board, which is unusual for them.  It was written before their intended arrival in Manila, and halfway through, Tony said the Captain had just been on the speaker to say the President of the Philippines was not going to allow them to dock in Manila.  He said regardless of all the changes, they are having a wonderful time.

Now the Diamond Princess in Yokohama.

Two Australians are among 10 people who have tested positive to coronavirus on board a cruise ship which is docked in the Japanese port of Yokohama.

Nearly 4,000 passengers and crew on board the Diamond Princess have been put into quarantine for two weeks.

In a statement provided to the ABC, the ship's operator Princess Cruises confirmed there were a total of 223 Australians on the ship.

"The 10 people have been notified and will be taken ashore by Japanese Coast Guard watercraft and transported to local hospitals for care by shoreside Japanese medical professionals," the statement said.

Three of the 10 confirmed cases are Japanese citizens and all are aged between 50 and 80.

None are in a serious condition.

Japanese Health Minister Katsunobu Kato told a news conference 273 people on the ship had been tested for the virus so far.

He said the number of confirmed cases could rise as more testing was carried out.

More to come.

2 minutes ago, Mandalay1903 said:

See the attached news story from Focus Taiwan CNA English News.

the westerdam was not specifically mentioned in the article. some tracking sites say the westerdam is in kaoshing (sp) and others say it's not there.  HELP!!  can someone onboard tell us where you are??   TIA!

We are scheduled to leave Taiwan in 2 hours.  Because of the virus discovered on the Asian cruise ship we were denied landing today - although we were on shore yesterday.  All Taiwan ports are not available.  We are on our way to Japan.  We are supposed to dock in Ishigaki on Feb. 7 - a day early, then on to Naha , Okinawa, for an overnight.

As stated by Sailing Dutchy, we are still having a great time.  The Westerdam crew is amazing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting! Happy to hear that you are managing to enjoy the cruise, and hope passengers and crew stay healthy.

Are you fortunate to have the wonderful and truly caring Colin Jacob your Hotel Director on this leg?

Best wishes to all,

Mary-Lou

On 2/3/2020 at 11:55 AM, Vict0riann said:

we were informed that about 350 people from the Wuhan area

You mean your fellow Canadians? I am glad for them that they were evacuated. The Aida ship docked in Martinique instead. But please, let's not throw everything and anything about this virus into the Westerdam thread.

On 2/3/2020 at 8:07 AM, pictonite said:

Here's the updated itinerary for the remainder of our cruise - until Saturday, February 15:

Tuesday February 4   arrive Kaohsiung, Taiwan at 7:00 a.m.  Depart Kaohsiung Wednesday, February 5 at 4:00 p.m.

Thursday, February 6 arrive Keelung (Taipei), Taiwan at 7:00 a.m.  Depart Keelung Friday February 7 at 5:00 p.m.

Saturday February 8 - Ishigaki Island Japan.  Arrive 8:00 a.m.  Depart 5:00 p.m.

Sunday February 9 - Naha, Okinawa, Japan.  Arrive 8:00 a.m.  Depart 6:00 p.m.

Monday February 10 - At Sea (East China Sea)

Tuesday February 11 - Busan (Pusan), South Korea.  Arrive 7:00 a.m.  Depart 6:00 p.m.

Wednesday, February 12 - Fukuoka (Hakata), Japan.  Arrive 7:00 a.m.   Depart 5:00 p.m.

Thursday, February 13 - At Sea

Friday, February 14 - Shimizu, Japan.  Arrive 11:00 a.m.  Depart 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, February 15 - Yokohama (Tokyo), Japan.  Arrive 7:00 a.m.

This is a wonderful itinerary. I have been to all ports except two. I have also been to Manila. I like these ports much better than Manila. 

I am wondering if Westerdam will be quarantined once it reaches Japan.  Seems the Japanese government was very proactive with the Diamond Princess...  There will be at least several passengers on Westie who have been sailing B2B2B and who might have had contact with others who might have been exposed to the virus.  This is very concerning for all ships coming into Japan waters after any time in China over the past month or thereabouts.

Edited by Taters

2 hours ago, Floridiana said:

You mean your fellow Canadians? I am glad for them that they were evacuated. . But please, let's not throw everything and anything about this virus into the Westerdam thread.

If you read my entire post, I was wondering if a similar quarantine would be required for the Westerdam passengers, as additional passengers and crew had boarded in HongKong.  It does seem that something of that sort is happening, if they are not going to be allowed into Taiwan for the 4 days they had anticipated.  Who knows what will happen in Japan.  

• Like 6

On 2/3/2020 at 12:09 PM, colbe said:

Thanks for posting the articles.  Flu season is always a concern here.  We also get our flu shots and even though they don't  often  prevent the flu, it is usually a milder case or has been for us.  It all goes back to washing, washing, washing your hands along with a few other common sense habits.  The scary thing to me about the coronavirus is there is not vaccine for it.  Wishing all the best for  those on ships that are quarantined. 

19 hours ago, pictonite said:

We are scheduled to leave Taiwan in 2 hours.  Because of the virus discovered on the Asian cruise ship we were denied landing today - although we were on shore yesterday.  All Taiwan ports are not available.  We are on our way to Japan.  We are supposed to dock in Ishigaki on Feb. 7 - a day early, then on to Naha , Okinawa, for an overnight.

As stated by Sailing Dutchy, we are still having a great time.  The Westerdam crew is amazing!

Hope that you will be able to fly home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobpatj said:

Ishigaki has been cancelled.  On to Naha, we hope!  Yes, we've been onboard since Singapore.

Thanks.  Ishigaki is a tender port.  Wondering if the seas prevented tendering or if you were refused entry?  

Hope you visit and enjoy Naha!

This is not good;

Japan to deny entry to foreigners on virus-hit cruise ship from H.K.

KYODO NEWS KYODO NEWS - 2 hours ago - 20:26 | All, Japan

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Japan will deny entry to foreigners on the cruise ship Westerdam that has left Hong Kong, amid concern about new coronavirus infections aboard the vessel, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Thursday.

Abe said the ban will take effect from Friday based on Japan's immigration law.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/02/07262625384b-breaking-news-japan-to-ban-entry-of-foreigners-on-virus-hit-hk-cruise-ship-abe.html

And;

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200206_52/

Edited by Alphen

20 minutes ago, Alphen said:

This is not good;

Japan to deny entry to foreigners on virus-hit cruise ship from H.K.

KYODO NEWS KYODO NEWS - 2 hours ago - 20:26 | All, Japan

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Japan will deny entry to foreigners on the cruise ship Westerdam that has left Hong Kong, amid concern about new coronavirus infections aboard the vessel, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Thursday.

Abe said the ban will take effect from Friday based on Japan's immigration law.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/02/07262625384b-breaking-news-japan-to-ban-entry-of-foreigners-on-virus-hit-hk-cruise-ship-abe.html

And;

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200206_52/

Oh dear.  This is not good at all.  

That takes away most ports and this means they won’t be able to disembark in Yokohama 😞 

Taiwan will not permit entry to people from Hong Kong, etc effective tomorrow either -  https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/02/b4a747fdd193-urgent-taiwan-imposes-total-ban-on-travelers-from-mainland-china-over-virus.html

They may be best to head to Hong Kong while flights are still going so people can get home?

40 minutes ago, Alphen said:

Oh Dear. Of course, they won't allow the passengers to land as long as new cases are being reported. Then, they'll want to quarantine the ship for 14 days (or whatever) after the last confirmed case.

Will they allow the ship to come into port, or will the ship have to sail along the coast?

Edited by HappyInVan