News on the Westerdam

dillpickle48

1 minute ago, Moparop said:

Ive been following the Westerdam hashtag pretty closely on Twitter. There’s definitely a group that has flown commercial out of Kula Lumpur on the 14th and perhaps early on the 15th.

My parents got to Phnom Penh around 10am and spent the day trying to get on a charter flight or even a commercial flight on their own money and were turned down at every corner. Their statement was that there were “lots of people still at the hotel”.  I’m betting there are even more still sitting in Kula Lumpur. 

I am so sorry for the situation you and your parents find yourselves in, hope its resolved quickly but with care - best wishes

8 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Exactly 14 days  clock can only start after quarantine measures in place.  Initial infected person may never become symptomatic.

You're correct regarding quarantine. But there was no quarantine onboard, so the HAL's statements about safe period passing doesn't make much sense

• Like 1

Details about my post on previous page, regarding comparison to flu:

Covid-19 

A study counts 300,000 Covid-19 infected on Feb 6th, going double every 6.4 days. Today it would be over 700,000 persons infected.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3872448

That would make 0.2% mortality rate

Edited by dado123456

1 minute ago, dreamers25 said:

We are watching our in box like hawks at the moment, leaving for Tokyo on Tuesday prior to the Feb 29th Cruise.... No news yet. 

Waiting for the cancellation email, so we can pull out all together. Less than 48 hours for us. 

Also check your junk mail in case it gets routed there.

• Like 1

Now that the Westerdam has disembarked it’s passengers, one U.S. citizen is testing positive for the Coronavirus.

Thats a little concerning being that no one was sick all the time they were out there floating around and now after they’ve off the ship and gone their ways, someone comes down with this virus!  I don’t know but this is making me apprehensive about cruising!  Anyone??

8 minutes ago, dreamers25 said:

We are watching our in box like hawks at the moment, leaving for Tokyo on Tuesday prior to the Feb 29th Cruise.... No news yet. 

Waiting for the cancellation email, so we can pull out all together. Less than 48 hours for us. 

We are, too. But our flight doesn't leave until the 27th, I think. HAL Flight Ease canceled our flights to Shanghai ten days ago or so when that itinerary change was made. But they never rebooked us on new flights to Tokyo despite our questioning them about it two or three times.

My guess is the 29th cruise gets canceled by Monday or Tuesday. Hang in there, dreamers25, and lets hope it gets cancelled by tomorrow.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Kinofdc said:

Pretty lucky given that other pax with same exposure level are stranded in Combodia or Malaysia

Edited by hal2008
  • Like 1

Level six hit the nail on the head  on both posts with regard to the incubation issue.  

This is not a public health secret.  It simply requires the ability to count to 14 to 18.

Is there anyone out there who believes that HAL did not do the sums or were unaware of this?  Really?

I couldn’t understand it either.  I had hoped and thought any respiratory cases had been checked for Covid 19, prior to disembarkation.   This really seems unconscionable to put so many at risk, by flying home commercially.   But they must have had clearance from some health authorities?  

Now I would assume the crew should be quarantined as well like the Diamond Princess crew will be after the passengers are gone.  

1 hour ago, Level six said:

I was supposed to be on this cruise, but decided not to go to HK after all the news came out  (CDC and WHO announcements...Also, the 500,000 people from Wuhan for went to HK before quarantine on the 28th of Jan.) I just decided to lose my money and not go, so I have followed this closely.

About 800 passengers got on in HK on FEB 1.  Passengers already onboard were allowed to leave the ship and visit HK.  They probably took tours, used public transport and ate while there.  The incubation period is said to be about 14 days(some say up to 24 days).  They would only be reaching the 14 day yesterday.  

They first had a sea day, then Manila would not let them port.  They went onto Kaohsiung Taiwan and were able to port for one day and then told to leave.  Since then they have been at sea.  Unable to port anywhere until Cambodia allowed them to.

There was no way to test for the virus onboard that I know of while they were at sea.  Maybe temperatures were taken, but as we see with the Diamond Princess, the temperature and the tests themselves need to be confirmed with a second test.  

Considering the incubation period is 14 days, they are just now getting the symptoms.  

Hi level 6,  we had been discussing this online prior to the start of the cruise.  You obviously made the right decision.  I seem to recall that you later said HAL had somehow reimbursed you?  I hope that was the case. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 2

Just reading the first case of Coronavirus involving a Westerdam passenger was confirmed by Malaysia today. An 83 year old US citizen. Her and her husband found to have symptoms as soon as they landed at Kuala Lumpur airport. The women tested positive and the man negative. They are under observation in a hospital.

Posted Feb. 15, approx. 4 p.m. Eastern
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/cruise-ship-passengers-bumped-from-klm-flight-in-malaysia/ar-BB102rmq

Westerdam Passengers Bumped From KLM Flight in Malaysia 

(Bloomberg) -- A number of passengers, including two Dutch citizens, were denied boarding for an Amsterdam-bound KLM flight departing from Kuala Lumpur, according to the Dutch foreign ministry.

The travelers were among the more than 2,200 passengers and crew on the Westerdam cruise ship, which was turned away by five ports before disembarking in Cambodia. An 83-year-old American passenger was diagnosed with the coronavirus a day after she left the ship.

The tourists who were kept from boarding KLM flight 810 are still in Malaysia, along with another group of Dutch citizens suspected to have had contact with the infected American woman. Dutch RIVM National Institute for Public Health and the Environment estimated that 11 people weren’t allowed on the plane.

A number of Dutch citizens who were aboard the Westerdam have already returned to the Netherlands, where they will be monitored daily by local health authorities.

Ninety-one Dutch citizens were aboard the Holland America Line cruise liner, a spokesman for the RIVM said by phone. He couldn’t confirm the number of Dutch passengers who had already returned to the Netherlands.

7 minutes ago, shiny1 said:

Just reading the first case of Coronavirus involving a Westerdam passenger was confirmed by Malaysia today. An 83 year old US citizen. Her and her husband found to have symptoms as soon as they landed at Kuala Lumpur airport. The women tested positive and the man negative. They are under observation in a hospital.

Probably won't be the only Westerdam passenger who has Covid19 then if shés positive.

9 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Hi level 6,  we had been discussing this online prior to the start of the cruise.  You obviously made the right decision.  I seem to recall that you later said HAL had somehow reimbursed you?  I hope that was the case. 

Thanks Bennybear. Yes, we definitely feel like we made the right decision in not boarding the cruise on Westerdam.  Remember I had brought up this very point of missing all the ports and everyone bashed me on roll call? 

I did receive some refund from HAL and I am grateful for that.  But, I am still out a lot because we had an extensive

1 1/2 month trip around SE Asia as a part of this cruise which we also cancelled. Our trip insurance won't pay.  It's okay, it's just money.  I would rather lose money than get stuck overseas and/or be sick.  It all worked out for us.  

Hopefully it will work our for all involved.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gnr25 said:

Did Hong Kong not want the Westerdam to return and unload the passengers there?
I ask because there are still daily Air Canada flights from Hong Kong to Vancouver and Toronto.

HK closed the cruise port about FEB 5th?  Around that time  

13 minutes ago, Level six said:

HK closed the cruise port about FEB 5th?  Around that time  

With this following after the Diamond Princess, I doubt any port in Asia is going to want to deal with cruise ships after this.  Things not looking good concerning local spread in Singapore with cases going up every day so it is probably not going to be a safe cruise ship departure port for long. I doubt Japan is going to want anymore inbound cruise ships. 

Edited by npcl

31 minutes ago, Level six said:

It's okay, it's just money.  I would rather lose money than get stuck overseas and/or be sick.  It all worked out for us.  

amen!! smart decision!

maybe you can postpone your SE Asia trip.

we have a 3 week china trip on hold  - hopefully this fall or next spring. i am really concerned about the gal that arranged the trip and her family. they are confined to their home in chengdu.

Edited by Viv0828
  • Like 1