News on the Westerdam

dillpickle48

Feb 15th 2020.

Hawaii announces its coronavirus tests from the CDC were faulty, and it points to a major gap in treating and stopping the spread of the virus

Beyond Hawaii, the CDC has admitted this week that some coronavirus test kits sent to laboratories around the country did not work properly. 

The CDC announced last week that it had shipped 200 test kits to labs across the US, and 200 more to labs in other countries

https://www.businessinsider.com/hawaii-cdc-tests-flawed-expert-concerns-about-coronavirus-spread-2020-2

This might be the answer to the Positive Lady riddle ...

• Like 3

I wrote about AIS destinations not being reliable in the last 2 paragraphs of https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2733283-ships-ais/ . As mentioned here KH KOS is the marine code for Sihanoukville. I suspect that MarineTraffic's computer has confused that with Kos Greece and entered the GR KGS code as well as drawn a route. It's only my guess but the literal AIS reading seems a stretch

Bill

• Like 1

We arrived home yesterday from our first HAL cruise.

we are glad we are home. Our flight was the one that stopped in Pakistan. We were on the plane for about 20h in total, so this was no fun, but we all made it.

The 18 days of our 14 days of the cruise were really an experience, and we enjoyed it. We talked to so many passengers who also enjoyed it.

We were one of those among the last 240 on the ship. So it was empty. On the last evening we were invited to the Pinnacle Grill, there were two seatings.

In our opinion HAL handled the situation very well. Some things were not so good for 100% of every individual (flights...), but quick solutions were needed.

we are proud to say that we were part of the cruise!

The crew was amazing! Outstanding! Their personal situation must have been very difficult (majority from the Philipines: denied entry to Manila).

It was nice to have some conversations with Orlando Ashford to let him know about the outstanding service of the crew.

Edited by AllureOfVacation
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

KPK Press Statement February 22, 2020 - Current Situation of Coronavirus Disease Infections (COVID-19) in Malaysia 22nd Case

The Ministry of Health Malaysia (MOH) wishes to note that the 22nd case of an 83-year-old US citizen has shown remarkable improvement in health status. The patient is still being monitored at the hospital for a slight cough.

Earlier, according to the Press Statement by the Director General of Health on February 15, 2020, the 22nd case was detected using a thermal scanner upon arrival at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) and was later referred to the Sungai Buloh Hospital.

• Clinical examination and chest x-ray examination confirm the patient has pneumonia (pneumonia)
  • The patient was admitted to the isolation ward at the Sungai Buloh Hospital.
  • Clinical oropharyngeal and nasopharyngeal samples were taken. The COVID-19 validation test for both samples was performed twice by the Medical Research Institute (IMR) and both tests were positively validated on February 15, 2020.
  • The case has been given antiviral treatment (lopinavir / Ritonavir) and oxygen assistance for its symptoms.

After more than 72 hours of treatment, the case has shown good health. Consequently, the COVID-19 validation test was performed 2 times with a 24-hour period for each test. Both of these repeated tests showed negative results.

This repeat detection test was performed to confirm that the COVID-19 case was cured and negative.

https://kpkesihatan.com/2020/02/22/kenyataan-akhbar-kpk-22-februari-2020-situasi-terkini-jangkitan-coronavirus-disease-covid-19-di-malaysia-kes-ke-22/

• Like 1

PHNOM PENH: The Westerdam cruise ship departed from a Cambodian port on Saturday morning (Feb 22) after being turned away by several Asian nations over (Covid-19) coronavirus fears, a Cambodian port official said.

Official Lou Kimchhun said the ship was headed for Anchorage, Alaska.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/2020/02/22/cruise-ship-leaves-cambodian-port-after-negative-virus-tests

So the latest info about getting fuel in Cambodia on Sunday was wrong 

2 hours ago, Qextor said:

It does indeed.  However,  MarineTraffic.com lists the ship's destination as GR KGS which is Kos, Greece.  So either the destination is wrong, (computer glitch, or not transmitting the right information) or it is just quite a coincidence that the name of the port it's headed to is the same as the code for the port it left.  As I said, until we get more info, wait and see.

I read somewhere that she would go out to sea, probably for fresh water and return on Sunday to bunker oil, before her final departure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dado123456 said:

PHNOM PENH: The Westerdam cruise ship departed from a Cambodian port on Saturday morning (Feb 22) after being turned away by several Asian nations over (Covid-19) coronavirus fears, a Cambodian port official said.

Official Lou Kimchhun said the ship was headed for Anchorage, Alaska.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/2020/02/22/cruise-ship-leaves-cambodian-port-after-negative-virus-tests

So the latest info about getting fuel in Cambodia on Sunday was wrong 

I don't remember a Vista class ship going to Anchorage itself (I went there on the Maasdam) and it's a heck of a time of year to go.

As for the passengers at home, time to readmit them to the human race, media frenzy or no.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

We were just told the same tonight by the Ontario Health Ministry  after earlier today they said it was a good idea to self impose another 14 days , the same peson called me back tonight .

Also there was an article in USA Today that the lady in Kuala Lumpur has not had the virus as far as they can see the last few days . It makes 100% sense that she was a false positive . She is still in hospital for different issues ! 

Glad to see you posting. 🙂. Welcome home 🙂 

2 hours ago, AllureOfVacation said:

we are glad we are home. Our flight was the one that stopped in Pakistan. We were on the plane for about 20h in total, so this was no fun, but we all made it.

The 18 days of our 14 days of the cruise were really an experience, and we enjoyed it. We talked to so many passengers who also enjoyed it.

We were one of those among the last 240 on the ship. So it was empty. On the last evening we were invited to the Pinnacle Grill, there were two seatings.

In our opinion HAL handled the situation very well. Some things were not so good for 100% of every individual (flights...), but quick solutions were needed.

The crew was amazing! Outstanding! Their personal situation must have been very difficult (majority from the Philipines: denied entry to Manila).

It was nice to have some conversations with Orlando Ashford to let him know about the outstanding service of the crew.

What an absolutely lovely post.

Thank you for sharing your experience and welcome home 🙂 

• Like 3

Looking at what her track is since leaving port, it doesn't look like she going anywhere. So what is said already, probably replenishing watersupply and then back to a port for refuelling. Although it beats me why they do not refuel first and then leave.

Studio_20200222_124518.jpg

Edited by jakkojakko
Addition
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jakkojakko said:

Looking at what her track is since leaving port, it doesn't look like she going anywhere. So what is said already, probably replenishing watersupply and then back to a port for refuelling. Although it beats me why they do not refuel first and then leave.

Studio_20200222_124518.jpg

Maybe it has to do something with incoming our outgoing crew and or maybe they have to order the fuel if this is a small port where not everything is easily available? Just guessing.

5 hours ago, AllureOfVacation said:

Thank you for your post and welcome back!  This will be a memorable cruise for you for sure!  HAL’s crew really does have to be applauded.  They probably not only missed visits with family (and all the logistics that entails) but they also wouldn’t have had the downtime and rest which comes with port visits and reduced passengers.  I think it’s wonderful that you are so appreciative.  Thank you.

Edited by *Miss G*
Thanks autocorrect
  • Like 2

Welcome home to the returning Westerdam passengers!  I know you must be glad to be home after such an ordeal.  Thank you to those who have chimed in with your first-hand reports.  Many prayers were said on your behalf.

I wanted to ask about testing, as there are conflicting accounts of how passengers were tested.  

Could someone who was aboard the Westerdam share your experience of how passengers were tested?  Were all tested, or only those symptomatic? Was it while onboard?  How long was the wait between testing and results?

I was so glad to hear the one initial positive case is now considered by the CDC to have never had the virus.  

Thanks and Welcome Home!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, syesmar said:

Welcome home to the returning Westerdam passengers!  I know you must be glad to be home after such an ordeal.  Thank you to those who have chimed in with your first-hand reports.  Many prayers were said on your behalf.

I wanted to ask about testing, as there are conflicting accounts of how passengers were tested.  

Could someone who was aboard the Westerdam share your experience of how passengers were tested?  Were all tested, or only those symptomatic? Was it while onboard?  How long was the wait between testing and results?

I was so glad to hear the one initial positive case is now considered by the CDC to have never had the virus.  

Thanks and Welcome Home!

There were around 240 passengers on the ship left, all were tested.

First the passengers were tested, then the crew.

Testing was done in the meeting rooms on deck 3. Everyone was called by stateroom numbers.

Before getting into the room, you were called by name and temperature was checked first.

In the room there were some chairs and you were instructed where to sit.

Test consisted of nasal and oral swabs.

We were very surprised how far such a swab can be put in your nose...not nice, but neccessary. Wow.

The workers from the institute that has done the test were fully covered in safety suits and gave some instructions like "head back". I can not tell you if it was a man or a woman that tested me because of the safety clothing.

The whole process was very efficient and went quickly. Your keycard was punched when you were done.

The test was done in the afternoon and we had results in 1 1/2 days.

When we went to Phnom Penh we passed the Institute building that has done the test

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, AllureOfVacation said:

There were around 240 passengers on the ship left, all were tested.

First the passengers were tested, then the crew...

Before getting into the room, you were called by name and temperature was checked first...

Test consisted of nasal and oral swabs...

The whole process was very efficient and went quickly. Your keycard was punched when you were done.

The test was done in the afternoon and we had results in 1 1/2 days....

Thank you so much for your response and for sharing your experience, AllureOfVacation!  It sounds like you have a wonderful attitude and made the best of your time aboard the Westerdam.  I have fond memories of my time aboard the ship.  Thankful you and the others are alright and home safe!  All the Best!

Edited by syesmar
spacing
  • Like 2

From post #1304:  "This repeat detection test was performed to confirm that the COVID-19 case was cured and negative."

I find this Malaysian comment ("cured") to be confusing.  Maybe something was lost in the translation?

I want to believe the CDC that the Westerdam lady in Malaysia never did have COVD-19.  This muddies the waters.

Welcome home, everybody.  May your good health continue.

Barbara

P. S.  Who is the Captain of the good ship Westerdam???

Edited by bcummin
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, bcummin said:

From post #1304:  "This repeat detection test was performed to confirm that the COVID-19 case was cured and negative."

I find this Malaysian comment ("cured") to be confusing.  Maybe something was lost in the translation?

I want to believe the CDC that the Westerdam lady in Malaysia never did have COVD-19.  This muddies the waters.

I see it as doubling down that the original tests were correct, without really adding any new data. Possibly national pride etc. If they were wrong, which (from the peanut gallery) I believe, their goof inconvenienced a few thousand people, including those who were called upon to aid the Westerdam passengers. To say nothing of adding to the coronavirus panic and costing HAL a good deal of money.

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Like 3