Corfu Walking Tour

christieSF

We will be in Corfu from 700 to 1700 on a Saturday in July. We are the only ship in port that day and our ship carries 2600. We are a family of four traveling with our 11 and 15 year old daughters.

I have been scouring both TripAdvisor and Cruise Critic to try to decide our day and still haven't figured it out. However, I know for sure that we want to do a walking tour of Old Corfu. We love to do walking tours in new places because we learn so much from our guides as we walk and orient ourselves with the city. I have found several self-guided tours that we can do if we have to, but I do find we learn more and have more fun with a guide.

Oddly, I'm not finding any walking tours of Corfu. Most of what I have found is either very expensive private half day tours, food/wine tours (which is great, but we're doing those in other places), or tours on a coach. The couple of actual walking tours I have found have no reviews.

I was hoping someone would have experience or a recommendation. Thanks so much!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!  We decided to bite (hahaha) the bullet and booked a food tour.  It's more pricey than we were planning for Corfu, but I know my family will enjoy it!

I do have the Rick Steves Med Port guide, so we will supplement each day with his suggestions!

• 7 months later...
On 2/24/2020 at 1:43 PM, christieSF said:

Thanks!  We decided to bite (hahaha) the bullet and booked a food tour.  It's more pricey than we were planning for Corfu, but I know my family will enjoy it!

I do have the Rick Steves Med Port guide, so we will supplement each day with his suggestions!

Hello!  Could you please share the name of the tour company for this food tour?  Sounds delicious to me!

Thanks!!

1 minute ago, flwinejunkie said:

Hello!  Could you please share the name of the tour company for this food tour?  Sounds delicious to me!

Thanks!!

It was through Corfu Walking Tours.  We didn't get to go on the tour, but I highly recommend them based on their communication and the quick refund when our cruise was cancelled.  Hopefully we will get to Corfu one day and will be able to take this tour!

4 hours ago, christieSF said:

It was through Corfu Walking Tours.  We didn't get to go on the tour, but I highly recommend them based on their communication and the quick refund when our cruise was cancelled.  Hopefully we will get to Corfu one day and will be able to take this tour!

Thanks for the info!  I'll look into it.  We're supposed to be cruising in May 2021, but who knows if we'll be able to go.  Appreciate your help!

We were on Corfu for a week or so last fall.   Went into Corfu town several times.  I believe that we only saw one walking tour and it was a cruise ship tour (saw the little logos on clothing).  We would have picked up a local walking tour in a flash had we been aware of one.

Our first trip into Corfu town early afternoon was abandoned after 10 minutes.  We drove by the port and counted five or six cruise ships in port.  The town was a zoo so we left-huge lineup at the fort entrance.  Second trip in was much better. Only two ships.  We could actually navigate ourselves easily through the streets.

Edited by iancal

• 3 months later...

It is great if you are the only ship in port. IF you decide on a DIY walking tour...our advice would be to head to the fort first.  There is often a line up.  You might be fine in the AM, if not simply continue on a walk through the main area.  

Corfu is a large island.  Lots of interesting places to go.  There are some beautiful small towns up high where you get a fantastic vista of the island and mainland.  You will never see it all in one day, especially if you plan to spend time in the old town.   

I really do doubt that you will be in Corfu in May on a cruise ship but good luck.