Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
wannacruiseharmony

Oasis back at port today??

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Drock20J said:

If that is the case, I would say that makes up for the Casino/ Alcohol.

 

The Cathy family are really nice people who do care for their employees... sure I do not agree with some of their stances, but they generally are very nice.  Then again, I am from Atlanta, and there are 3 things that we will defend until the end... Chick-Fil-A, Coke, and Waffle House.

Yes without Coke how would we drink our rum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 3:07 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

Superbowl?

There is another thread that says an NCL ship and the Symphony were used as hotels for the Super Bowl. Somewhere on this thread it says that it's doing the chick-fil-a charter along with the Oasis. Who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, above sea level cruiser said:

There is another thread that says an NCL ship and the Symphony were used as hotels for the Super Bowl. Somewhere on this thread it says that it's doing the chick-fil-a charter along with the Oasis. Who knows?

I heard the Super Bowl thing some time ago. I guess people had their cruise cancelled. Seems pretty firm at least Oasis has Chick-fil-a this way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, above sea level cruiser said:

There is another thread that says an NCL ship and the Symphony were used as hotels for the Super Bowl. Somewhere on this thread it says that it's doing the chick-fil-a charter along with the Oasis. Who knows?

Miami has plenty hotel rooms, it makes zero sense (Financially or otherwise)  to use a cruise ship simply for lodging 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 3:46 PM, above sea level cruiser said:

Why no alcohol served?

 

 

23 hours ago, acpalmer said:

 

Chick-Fil-A is a very socially conservative company.  I imagine that alcohol doesn't align with their moral values.

 

That and no alcohol likely makes it a lot less expensive for them to charter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

 

Chick-fil-A sandwiches at the Snack Shack.  

I bet the last thing CFA people want to eat on vacation is more CFA sandwiches... 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drock20J said:

If that is the case, I would say that makes up for the Casino/ Alcohol.

 

The Cathy family are really nice people who do care for their employees... sure I do not agree with some of their stances, but they generally are very nice.  Then again, I am from Atlanta, and there are 3 things that we will defend until the end... Chick-Fil-A, Coke, and Waffle House.

 

I'm from ATL as well - how about RCI swaps out Johnny Rockets for Waffle House? That would be awesome!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Miami has plenty hotel rooms, it makes zero sense (Financially or otherwise)  to use a cruise ship simply for lodging 

Just stating what I heard. Symphony  did an empty day cruise on Saturday and is still in Miami today. Perhaps it's a Chick-Fil-A cruise too?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fletch1027 said:

 

I'm from ATL as well - how about RCI swaps out Johnny Rockets for Waffle House? That would be awesome!!

I never ever realized how big the American market is for fast food and restaurants. A chicken company throws a $20M party chartering a couple of cruise ships. Absolutely crazy crazy expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, above sea level cruiser said:

Just stating what I heard. Symphony  did an empty day cruise on Saturday and is still in Miami today. Perhaps it's a Chick-Fil-A cruise too?

 


yes, the are boarding today from what I read. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, above sea level cruiser said:

I never ever realized how big the American market is for fast food and restaurants. A chicken company throws a $20M party chartering a couple of cruise ships. Absolutely crazy crazy expensive.

 

It does seem a bit extreme, but they are one of the most successful and popular fast food chains in the country.  Nearly every time I drive past one, including the one in my hometown, there is a line of cars wrapping around the building.  I've never eaten their food but must be pretty darn good! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, fletch1027 said:

I'm from ATL as well - how about RCI swaps out Johnny Rockets for Waffle House? That would be awesome!!

YES PLEASE!!!

 

The only problem... Cruises are WAY to clean to have a WaHo! But think about this... You are giving directions, instead of saying the"Boadwalk" You get to say, " Go to the Waffle House, keep walking, and there you are, the aqua theater!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, fletch1027 said:

 

I'm from ATL as well - how about RCI swaps out Johnny Rockets for Waffle House? That would be awesome!!

 

15 minutes ago, Drock20J said:

YES PLEASE!!!

 

 

Or maybe not. Every Waffle House I've ever been to from Pennsylvania to Florida has been a disappointment.  Not sure why as I keep hearing rave reviews. Perhaps I need to check out the ones in ATL.

 

Now, replacing Johnny Rockets with Chik-Fil-A is an idea i can get behind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

 

 

Or maybe not. Every Waffle House I've ever been to from Pennsylvania to Florida has been a disappointment.  Not sure why as I keep hearing rave reviews. Perhaps I need to check out the ones in ATL.

 

Now, replacing Johnny Rockets with Chik-Fil-A is an idea i can get behind. 


A few small issues... they won’t be open Sundays and Waffle House has to be open 24hrs.  
 

I ate a WF in St Louis and it was decent, like Sorento’s at 3am in the morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fletch1027 said:

 

 

That and no alcohol likely makes it a lot less expensive for them to charter...

Actually that makes it more expensive for the company to charter as there are minimum sales figures for alcohol and other on board spends.  Any charter that does not meet these targets makes up the difference at the end of the cruise.  5his is in addition to the 7-11m figures quoted. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Drock20J said:

YES PLEASE!!!

 

The only problem... Cruises are WAY to clean to have a WaHo! But think about this... You are giving directions, instead of saying the"Boadwalk" You get to say, " Go to the Waffle House, keep walking, and there you are, the aqua theater!"

 

The crazy thing is that for the most part, WH's are usually very clean for them being open 24/7. The one near us, they totally wipe down tables & chairs w/ clorox wipes between guests. 

 

 

18 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

 

 

Or maybe not. Every Waffle House I've ever been to from Pennsylvania to Florida has been a disappointment.  Not sure why as I keep hearing rave reviews. Perhaps I need to check out the ones in ATL.

 

Now, replacing Johnny Rockets with Chik-Fil-A is an idea i can get behind. 

 

All I can say is that the only ones I have been to are around ATL and I have had good experiences 90-95% of the time. 

 

Ironically, there is a thread on the this board from last year about a rumor of a CFA on Symphony. I would post the link, but the thread devolved into the weeds. IMO, I would rather not see a CFA partially because I eat there all the time and partially because I don't think it would be as good of a customer experience on the ship as the "on shore" version...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Actually that makes it more expensive for the company to charter as there are minimum sales figures for alcohol and other on board spends.  Any charter that does not meet these targets makes up the difference at the end of the cruise.  5his is in addition to the 7-11m figures quoted. 

 

I guess that all gets factored into the deal the company makes with RCI for the charter. I have to believe that there were some good deals made when a company pays to charter two Oasis class ships - as opposed to typical charters...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fletch1027 said:

 

I guess that all gets factored into the deal the company makes with RCI for the charter. I have to believe that there were some good deals made when a company pays to charter two Oasis class ships - as opposed to typical charters...

Not really.  Those ships sell out regardless.  Royals not going to take less for a charter than they would on the open market. 

 

The charter company also also is responsible for all costs that Royal incurs for displaced passengers who had been booked on the ship prior to it being chartered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not really.  Those ships sell out regardless.  Royals not going to take less for a charter than they would on the open market. 

 

The charter company also also is responsible for all costs that Royal incurs for displaced passengers who had been booked on the ship prior to it being chartered. 

 

You may be right, but if CFA is paying as much for a 4 day charter cruise than an open market 7 day cruise, RCI could not sell a drop of alcohol and still make a ton of money just off of the 3 days less fuel usage and maybe even payroll if those ships are indeed sitting idle for those 3 days...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fletch1027 said:

 

You may be right, but if CFA is paying as much for a 4 day charter cruise than an open market 7 day cruise, RCI could not sell a drop of alcohol and still make a ton of money just off of the 3 days less fuel usage and maybe even payroll if those ships are indeed sitting idle for those 3 days...

 

They might save a bit in fuel cost and food but they also have extra berthing fees.  I doubt they would save anything on staff costs as it’s not like they can send people home for the day or two.  It actually would not surprise me if CFA was responsible for a full 7 days worth of gratuities.  

 

Royal does not need the charter business to sell to out its ships and only does so if they can make more money than they could by on her regular sailings. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Miami has plenty hotel rooms, it makes zero sense (Financially or otherwise)  to use a cruise ship simply for lodging 

Sure Miami has plenty of hotel rooms, but how many hotels can accommodate 5000-6000 people for what is essentially a convention.  Conventions want their people clustered together in close proximity of each other, so they can do meetings, training sessions, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2020 at 3:10 PM, above sea level cruiser said:

Just stating what I heard. Symphony  did an empty day cruise on Saturday and is still in Miami today. Perhaps it's a Chick-Fil-A cruise too?

 

Yes Symphony & Oasis we’re both chartered. My daughter & SNL are in Oasis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2020 at 3:52 PM, fletch1027 said:

 

 

That and no alcohol likely makes it a lot less expensive for them to charter...

Actually, more expensive. Each Charter guarantees x $ in alcohol and Casino revenue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...